So Much For the Upgrade

Questions and solutions for all mudmoving games related problems
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

So Much For the Upgrade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Hey guys, need some help here. Got the upgrades into my computer and found that COD4 now plays :shock: WORSE :shock: than on my old machine. I suspect that it may be a netspeed problem but for the life of me cannot find the bloody console commands to adjust it. I thought there was a netspeed selection upon installing the game, but I can't find anything about that either. Does anyone know the console commands for adjusting netspeed?
Or, any other ideas of what the hell is going on? Frame rate/lag is just atrocious, slide show vid, regardless of server that I am on. CPU has been upgraded to Athon 64 X2 4800+, vid card is Radeon HD3650 512meg, RAM is 1.6G, soon to be 3.

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: So Much For the Upgrade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:55 pm

No ideas, huh? I am devastated! :shock:

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Have you updated the graphics drivers?
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 pm

I've done everything I can think of. Only thing that is left that I know of would be that the new vid card is simply a POS, which still doesn't make much sense because its got more than my old X1600. For the hell of it I put COD5 back on just to compare. COD5 loads fine but still plays like crap also. Left a message on the COD4 forums and the best they could do was to defrag my hard drive. :roll: Very disheartening all way round. What would make a better vid card, hotter CPU, and three times as much RAM run worse that what they replaced?

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:20 am

Couple of things you could try -

Advanced System Care - free - Has a tool to optimize your connection.

Leatrix Latency Fix - Yeah sure this was made for WoW , but works for any game or sim. DL is a javascript to optimize TCP packets .

I've used both and Leatrix possibly has the edge on the AWC tool available in the free version.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:20 am

duplicate post- pls delete
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Check it out guys. For the hell of it I reinstalled COD4...and suddenly it works great. WTH? I then installed each patch one at a time, going back into the game to test each one. Not one friggin problem. :?

Me thinks Murphy slipped into me life just long enough to drive me to drink. At any rate...COD4 is a go once again. :D Thing is I have to start from square one. :( Does the squad still run their own COD4 server?

:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:45 pm

That's good to hear Zeke...

If you feel like going down the tweaking route to squeeze even more performance out of your rig I strongly recommend the Tweakguides.com tweaking companion:

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

No more CoD4 server but I think a few of the Dutch platoonies still hop on to some other CoD4 servers every now and again.
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:24 am

No Irish COD4 server? :( I am heartbroken.

:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Learn to speak dutch Zeke :D , I think there still playing, but I'm not sure.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:24 am

I shoot more than talk...

What's the IP of that server again?