Rise of Flight Black Screen

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Rise of Flight Black Screen

Post by MikeVictor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:29 am

Just installed ROF Iron Cross with all updates and 3rd party SW installed off the CD.

Start the game, I get two error messages that say "settings"..that's all I can read, then it goes to the settings window. I lowered graphics a lot, and started it....all I get is a frozen black screen and I have to use the task manager to turn off ROF so I can get back to the desktop.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and have a dual processor, lots of RAM and storage, and a high end fairly new video card from nvidia and soundblaster platinum sound card..., Crosshair MB...

Not sure what is wrong? Any ideas.

Mike Victor
:D
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: Rise of Flight Black Screen

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 am

Good to hear from ya MIkeV, even it it is with a problem.
It may not be a problem...maybe...perhaps.

1. Before you do much else, update XP to Service Pack 3. If you can spare a few $$$ get an OEM copy of Windows 7. That last update will add a few drivers to your system and plug a few security holes. Then post the following info.

2. When you say "dual processor" do you mean a Core 2 Duo, or two separate processors (either Intel or AMD)? As long as your processor(s) meets the requirements of the sim that's all that matters. Unless you are running a P4 or something older.

3. How much system RAM?

4. Specifically, which Nvidia card, and how much onboard RAM?

5. How big is your hard drive?

With game settings all at LOW, you have a good place to start. When you start RoF it normally takes awhile to load to the "777 Studios" animation. The first several times I loaded the game I also got the black screen for what seemed like a long time. I finally got frustrated one day and walked away from the PC. When I got back RoF had loaded to the Login screen. Re-starting RoF I found that it took approximately 1 minute before the "777" animation came up, and discovered that the Login screen through all the in-game utility screens tend to be very slow. Even the mouse speed is affected. SO it may be that you just didn't wait long enough for things to progress.
When you go to your Task Manager does RoF show no activity, or does it appear to be doing something?
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:52 am

If you just installed the iron cross edition, you should make sure you update the game before launching it. I understand there have been some issues with dual core systems and ROF, but there is a work around- do a search of the ROF website/blog.
It is normal for the game to pause with a black screen for as much as a minute before it finally loads- how long did you wait?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Tim!
Glad to see your PC is running again! :D Hope our discussion helped, and you encounter no more probs.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Keeping fingers crossed (makes it hard to type, though) and setting lots of restore points. I almost have things back to normal, I just have to go through the long process of setting up the various stick profiles for ROF and creating a new CH HOTAS profile for Il2, since the old one got lost.
I had sent several versions of my recent co-ops to Mike, so he emailed them back to me for eventual finishing. Hope to be back in the cockpit next Friday!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 am

Good news, Tim! :D

And MikeVictor, how goes the battle? :)
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:36 pm

If you are still having problems I would suggest re-running the 3rd party apps and letting the Direct X install update run. It sounds like an issue with one of those to me.

let us know how you get on and good luck.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Well, when I got past the black screen, but only if I do not upgrade to the new version, but just use what is on the disk.

But then after I activate it, it seems to insist that I upgrade and will not let me run the "older" version....

I have installed the new version, a couple times... and when I do, I get two error messages when I try to start it, related to settings.

It dumps me on the settings form. and I noticed that when I change the language to anything, that an error message is generated.

So I can not run the older version and I can not run the newer one...

I think I actually have SP3...I'm sure I do..

What the F#%$@@#....

Later,
Mike
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Mike, when you updated did it ask you to reinstall direct x? Did you reinstall it? This seems to be a requirement for getting some things to work.
The game version is kept current by the online update process. This keeps everyone from having compatibility issues when flying online. Did you try looking for a solution at the ROF blog forums? It's not a real easy site to navigate, but the developers are actually very helpful and attentive.
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Yes, I did the Direct X reinstall amigo...

There appears to be a bug that may associated with all the add on packages and the core program language functionality. Each add on package requires you to input the language.

That is a wild A#$@ guess,

Whey won't it just let me run the older version....it forces me to upgrade or won't let me run the program off line....

I've never paid for a product and then been denied the use of it unless I upagraded.... damn...

Thanks for whatever you might suggest.

I've done the upgrade a couple times, it always generates the settings error...

I've have automatic update on for my PC, so I must have the most recent OS version...

Merci Bocoop,

Mike
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Okay,

I take it that you can get the RoF Launcher up ? If so try using the 'Recovery' function. If no joy there what sort of graphics settings have you got enabled ? If you have post effects on turn them off, they can cause havok on anything less than a top GPU.

With a dual core processor your Windows XP should be helping you rather than causing problems. There has to be a simple explanation for it....

Keep trying and let us know how its going.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 pm

I was able to get the ROF launcher up, but it stops me from starting as it apparently requires me to upgrade before it will run...

I'll check the graphics settings. I have a current very capable video card, but my other hardware is a few years old but kinda beefy..

Will continue to try to get it to run and keep you posted....

Merci,

Mike
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:14 pm

I don't think there's any way around having to run the updates. It saves the developers a lot of grief, since they only have to worry about supporting more than one version of the game. Furthermore the updates and patches always seem to improve the game in terms of how it runs and how many options one has for tweaking it.
Last edited by :FI:Murph on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 pm

I don't have a problem with updating, as long as it dosn't result in a bug preventing me from running the program...

When I update it, I keep getting a "settings" related error that stops the game from running...

I will reduce all the graphics and sound settings to the lowest level and see what happens. But it seems to have something to do with the language selection function..

Duh, we'll see..

Mike
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:23 am

Well, I seem to have it working...don't ask me how.... lol I"ve been putzing around with ROF offline...and have the graphics boosted up some. so looks good.

Mike