To all you elves, goblins and ogres

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

To all you elves, goblins and ogres

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:44 pm

My youngest son is getting keen on the fantasy RPG genre (where did I go wrong :lol: ).

He is playing something called Runescape which is a fairly cheap and cheerful online RPG at the moment but would like something else for Christmas.

As I know sweet FA about these things, I wondered if there were any views anyone can share?

I know a few of you played Oblivion for a while? He has a reasonable spec PC (better than mine actually - i5 processor and a decent graphics card).

Thanks
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: To all you elves, goblins and ogres

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Well ... erm ... not that I know ANYTHING about fantasy RPG's ...

... my oldest daughter still plays WoW and Everquest. They're still being updated. Check out HERE for some info. From what I remember, Conan might be a wee bit rough for the young'uns.

For off-line stuff, you can't beat Oblivion. For some lighter fare, try Fable: The Lost Chapters. You get to kick chickens ... an' everthin! HERE'S a good reference. The neat thing about offline fantasy RPG's is that there are a LOT out there that are cheap and don't need an überputer to run them. You can have a lot of fun with Balder's Gate, Morrowwind or one of the old NeverWinter Nights. The Witcher is good but is for the older folk.

How old is he?

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah, Morrowind is the best RPG I've ever played, different from Baldur's Gate (which is awesome), more action and more freedom. Oblivion has better graphics but the atmosphere is more fairy like, I prefer dark mood of Morrowind, its sounds and graphics. Also, Icewind Dale series is nice, similar to Baldur's Gate but more action less RPGing, great though, maps are painted in a most beautiful way. Neverwinter Nights is also great, with the add ons and stuff avaliable online. If his PC can handle it - Dragon Age. A real gem.

But nothing can beat Fallout 1 and 2. However, it has a really adult sense of humor. And gore. And stuff. And it is not fantasy ;)

Mac(tumbling dice)ca
ImageImageImage
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:10 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote: How old is he?

F
11 going on 23 :lol:
Olegs stalker

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 pm

2 upcoming releases

guild wars 2

Trion rift planes of Telara (beta starts Dec 3rd)

I could recommend Aion for it's content and graphics ,probably the biggest MMO to hit the scene in the last year but it has been badly managed in the west ; though there are some signs of improvement.

Of these I guess GW2 would be the better choice for the younger player, or of course WoW

And one word of advice whatever you choose - create a seperate e-mail for the account and tell your son to beware of any links in in-game chat; as you will doubtless get spam from Chinese gold sellers and account phishers many of which look legit but have keyloggers and other malware in the links.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:32 am

As cheap as they are now, Morrowind and Oblivion are still great choices for Fantasy RPG.
For SF Fantasy, I've heard good things about Mass Effect 1 & 2, and the Fallout series.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x