TACTICS SCHOOL: A Joint Effort

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:52 am

Sorry about that heloego that's the problem with padlock some time's you miss the bigger picture and don't see what's going on about you, belive me I didn't mean to do it. :(
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

NO PROB, m8!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:40 am

I never worry about the score. If I had seen ya coming I'd have held off the trigger.
I felt bad cuz I shot ya down. :(
As bad as my DF skills are I guess I should take 'em any way I can, eh? :wink: :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:25 am

Hey don't discredit yourself Helo, I think your DF skills have gotten pretty good :)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:04 pm

Helo can fight with the best that we got

and in that lad, there is simply no doubt!

the problem conserns where he puts his shot

ask a friendly what I'm talkin' about!

Falcon
8)

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Rab...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:02 am

:P remember what I said about Falcon Wednesday night? Should we tell him? :lol:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:23 pm

Just a heads up incase you don't check the other boards very often, but some of the TX squadron guys will be joining us tonight and hopefully even more next Wednesday :D. I hope we have a good showing and a lot fun!!

s!
Snoop
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:24 am

We had a good time tonight flying with the TX squadron. One thing that Mad Moses pointed out that was working really well for us is that once in a "furbal" we did not fixate on any target and switched between them as needed or as oportunity came up. While the enemy tended to fixate on the enemy to the point that they would not pull off even while we smoked their planes. This really cost them a lot in the end.

So when in a furbal rember to stay fluid.

Another important thing that I think we followed much better than the opposition is to disengage when our planes got to banged up instead of waiting untill it was to late.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:42 am

Some tips from Rabitski:

1. In a high-speed dive to prevent black outs and allow tighter turns with a mustang go ahead and cut throttle to zero.

2. When making turns in your mustang, if you really need to stay on the enemy's six then alternate between zero throttle and full throttle and drop combat flaps if you really need it.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:09 am

Don't be afraid to dive in your P51 and cash in your alt. for speed when you need to get rid of a plane on your six. Unless that plane is a P47 :D Often times you can leave them behind and extend and then reengage with an energy advantage. Remember to not just hog E but to use it.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:49 pm

~snif!~

what is the max number of folks on the TS radio?

Is it 8 or ten?

Can it be increased?

By the time I *threw* the kids in bed and raced back to the game,

four guys had turned into ten.

ak!

Falconstricted

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Redneck
Beginner

Post by Redneck » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:00 pm

it might be worth looking into upgrading the ts max capacity.
sunday we had the same problem and that was with just our squad.

dont know?? what involved but maybe just a thought. :D

On another note the joint training sounds awsome, shame its to late for us across the pond :(
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:13 pm

The previous limit was 10... it has been upped to 16 now.

More people are now using comms (not a bad thing) but it is only the last two weekends where slots have become scarce. Sunday really is the peak time. Rest of the week, its rare to see more than 5 on at a time

Sunday was made a little bit worse by channel sitting... as in going off for an hour or so whilst leaving TS on. Perhaps it's time to crack down on that a bit?

G
I fear no beer

Mad_Moses
Beginner

Post by Mad_Moses » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:20 pm

I had a blast last night. It was my first "official" FI action. We really worked well together and kicked some butt.

Flying the Mustang is very deadly when you have good communication and teamwork.

Against the Doras we really smoked them. I didn't take a single round during that whole match. When we took on the Ki84s it got a little more hairy but we re-grouped and smoked them in the end.

I think I had 14 kills and was only shot down once and took fire only two other times all together, so I am very happy. The one time I was shot down I did a stupid move and deserved it. The only thing that was a bit frustrating was finding the sweet spot when shooting. Many times it took too long to bring them down, especially the Doras.

My best piece of tactical advice for P-51..... get alt first, if you don't have it when you make contact don't try to go up after them, let them come down after you. In the 51 you can out turn anyone with speeds over 500kph. If you try to climb too much in a dog fight and scrub the speed you will be in trouble. If you get in a turning match and you are behind, cut some throttle and stay higher in the turn, they have to come out of the turn eventually. If they are behind you, break and dive and break hard at the bottom of the dive.

One move I tried last night.... had a Ki84 right on my tail at 4,000m. I dove to about 2000m and pulled up hard then cut the throttle and looped back down again. He tried to follow and on the second loop and went wide and had to level off at about 1,500m. I rolled over and ended up right on his six and let him have it.

Thanks for all the fun, can't wait to do it again.

Cheers,
Chris "Mad" Moses
Redneck
Beginner

Post by Redneck » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:05 pm

i hear you about the channel sitting but its difficult in Vow as you need it when you go in, but someone could get shot down and leave leaving you sitting on a channel that you are technically not using but are still flying and will need it agan when you land and meet up again in the vow lobby.

Maybe vow should use the green channel leaving red and blue open to other users ??

i think now that its 16 we wont really have a problem :D
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:18 pm

Moses hit the nail on the head, but another titbit, because we have a limited number of planes and people to fly them, pick your fight. there is nothing to be gained from rushing into combat when you are at the disadvantage, and sometimes to withdraw is the smarter thing to do, Your goal shoul be No1 to stay alive, twice last night I found myself attacking from a hopeless position simply because there were enemy there and both times I ended up being sorry, the other times I found myself in the same position I dived and ran flat out for base, when I heard that the guys following me were engaged I looped back and was able to pick of one of them.

Also when we are taking of and forming up it might be an idea to slow down a bit and give the squad a chance to pull in nice and tight, we were going into there area all strung out but the were comming at us in packs of 4, and we should do like they did and put 2 guys up real heigh. It might be an idea to have someone act as flight leader, he can then tell us who he wants where and at what Alt, nothing formal mind you I'm sure we can decide, for my money I'd pick Gen as flight leader(If he's awake :lol: ) and I'd feel real safe if Moses got the high 6, I'll go with you if ya like.

Another thing we should work on is comm's. Now I'm no saint at this myself, I'm new to it and it will take some time I guess to get used to it.
When calling out contacts we should try to state there position near or there abouts but more so there Alt. This way people who are taking of and heading to the battle can use the time to gain the height on them.

I think overall we did very well last night, Chris you were in the zone dude ^:) once again I'm glad you were on our team. And it was my honour to fly with all of ye, and I will gladly give my plane up if it means saving one of ye, well done all =D) .