So you want to build your own mechanical brain?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

So you want to build your own mechanical brain?

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Gah!

When the forth guy came to me today and asked if I could help them build a good computer I made the decision to start a thread here. I've suggested to EACH of these members over the past few months to start this thread but ... you know the =FI=.

Anywho, this is a place holder. Let's all get together and build the computer of our dreams, or at least the one our women will let us have.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Re: So you want to build your own mechanical brain?

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Daisy,Daisy......
ImageImageImage
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:46 pm

If you limit it the what yer other half would like you to have you'll be lucky to end up with a smart phone @ the end of the day :D , best to leave them out of the loop all together. Kate dragged her feet no end, when it came to getting me my new computer, and then on the other hand she forked out on a bike for me that cost more then the PC, without blinking an eye 2 wks ago. I think the bitch is trying to kill me :D

My PC.( only mine is more powerful :D )
http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops ... _large.jpg

This is my LAST PC. When this one dies in a few years I'm out of here, so there you have it.

This is my bike by the way.
http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bikes/r ... ndard.html

It's a beauty and I'm having a great time putting in 20-50miles trips 3 times a week in 90dgr temp with 80-100% humidity. Stu had the right idea getting that old mans crotch rocket :D
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Uhh ... erm ...

nice bike Greg, but ...

???

but ...

where's the motor?

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 pm

I ask myself that same question every time I get to the bottom of a hill :( .
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 pm

So you need to upgrade your PSU, that is for sure bro;)
ImageImageImage
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 pm

PSU?

Pedal Some Uphill?

~~~

To get the ball rollin', here's a link, one out of a bazillion, comparing the i7 to other "i" chips.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hard ... 48391.aspx

I like the i7(920/930) and after a year and a half still use it as the start of my econo-middle-non-dream fantasy build. It can be the base of any über build too, but if there's one thing upon which you should not shirk ... it's da CPU ...

and the GPU ...

and the PSU ...

oh bother.

Falcün

:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Would (is) it be any better in the long run to have somebody who can build one do it. I get all the stuff and it's assembled here. OR write a check to the other Falcon folks for the Mach V or one of the other ones out there and be done with it. I get enough 'satisfaction' building stuff during the day, and I'm fairly sure the new computers don't need any mortar so that's me out. So, do you fly around in a home built machine that you are on the hook for if it fails? Or, write the dig bad daddy check to somebody? I'm not around these machines much, and other than what we do here really have not much use for it. So I'd like one that will last as long as this old VAIO did.

A confused,
McB
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm

>sigh<

good pernt McBee

so ...

buying one off the rack is cool.

I learned about Maingear listening to Greg go on ... and on about his wee darlin'.

;)

check here

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mainge ... ,9485.html

for some info.

OR

go get yo sef a copy of PCGamer. There are some good, and not-so-good vendors there with pretty full page spreads and with many you can save some money, compared to the Cady systems, and get a Gar-un-tee teh boot.

But at the end of the day, they're still gonna ax you what you want in it and dat's da name of dis tune.

Fal "Keep your eye on the sparrow" con

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm

PSU mod?Image

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)