Idea for Coop

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Idea for Coop

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 pm

I have been toying with an idea for a new series of Coops. So I'll try and articulate it here and you can all pull it to pieces :lol:

I would like to do a Battle of Britain series on the new Channel map using the HSFX 4.0 modded version of the game. I might just rewrite the 616 Squadron missions I did last year with the new aircraft and map available in HSFX 4.0. or do something new, but that is not the "new idea" I have been toying with. What I have been thinking is how could we recreate the ground control and radar which was such a vital ingredient of the battle? My thought was that one person does not fly the mission but acts as the ground controller for the aircraft in the air. It would mean enabling external views so the ground controller can flick through the aircraft in flight and see what is going on as though they had radar. They would then "scramble" the human controlled squadrons (probably 2 - 1 Spitfire and 1 Hurricane, on different TS channels) and "vector" them to the target just like in the real battle. It would mean one person volunteering not to fly each week - I volunteer to do the first one to see if it works or not - but it might give us a bit of a different dimension to the game? As mission builder its easy for me to know altitudes etc, but for other volunteers in subsequent weeks I would provide that information to them in advance.

Well, what do you think? Will it work, any takers?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Idea for Coop

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Sound like it could be fun mate. I'm certainly up for it :D It will certainly add that extra dimension to the game and may even help old Pike find the enemy without others having to put their lights on and such.

wardog
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:02 am

:FI:Wardog wrote:... and may even help old Pike find the enemy without others having to put their lights on and such ...

Leave Pike alone!!!!

~~~

McBiggles n'th'boys of Friday tried this in Hysterical Encounters. It worked fairly well. Go for it Neil!

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:10 am

would be lovely to have such option ingame for MP mode like campaing mode in BoB2-WoV

ImageImageImage
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:40 am

I think it sounds great.

Im in .
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:30 am

Neil, heres some thoughts on this,

Whoever the controller is going to be would need to set up his TS properly so he can switch between the spitfire and hurricane channels (perhaps it would be an idea to set out whats required in the way of TS settings, would the controller only communicate with the leaders of the flight?).
Oh, and knowing the landmarks on the map as you go from aircraft to aircraft, give the enemies heading and also give the proper intercept heading would certainly help. I reckon being the controller is a challenge for anybody.
Also make sure that folk change their "alt, speed" to Imperial rather than metric, for the sake of the controllers peace of mind :) . Plus, I would'nt give the controller any information, let him work it out for himself, more immersive for him and adds that little bit of pressure :evil:

Its an interesting idea and well worth doing. =D]

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Alex
Professional Boardie

Post by :FI:Alex » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:11 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:I It would mean enabling external views so the ground controller can flick through the aircraft in flight and see what is going on as though they had radar.
It is good idea to bring an atmosphere of that time and some details like radar. Can you set that only one man will have external views? If each will can see externals views and enemy on a map it not very interesting. Of course we can say - please be honest - you mast not switch on external wievs and calculate enemy planes by yourself because we have special man for it. Only that man has such preveleges! ;)
May be some programs like Radar contact in MSFS can work in Il-2?
Image Skype: alexander.deyneko
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Having externals may cause Lagg Neil, although you may avoided this by going with the hfsx mod which I think isn't as hard on your system (computers). Another idea would be to leave off externals and put on Map incons with the understanding the Only the ground control guy is allowed to use the map ( it would need to be a trust or honor thing )
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:34 pm

It would require us to know the map very well and knowing where we are in given moment. Knowledgo of terrain, etc.
ImageImageImage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks for the input guys. All noted.

It seems there is radar funtionality written in to the HSFX mod which is designed to tie in with the SEOW system. Link to their website is:

http://wiki-seow-en.swil.fr/index.php/Strategic_Radar

Still trying to get my head around this - but if it will work with any map, then we might actually be able to have working radar for the ground controller which would be awesome! If any of you know how this works and could help me get this into the missions please shout - otherwise I'll just have to wotk it out on my own :lol:
Olegs stalker

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:39 pm

This sounds like a great idea.

Would be great fun. Might also help with user navigation...

are positions written to the server log in real time?

if so we could write a little program to extract the flight positions (in the map) and allow them to be streamed to a nominated pc.
you could then vector in the friendly flight
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:37 pm

:FI:Armitage wrote:This sounds like a great idea.

Would be great fun. Might also help with user navigation...

are positions written to the server log in real time?

if so we could write a little program to extract the flight positions (in the map) and allow them to be streamed to a nominated pc.
you could then vector in the friendly flight
I think you have to run this as part of a Scorched Earth Online War campaign - you set up the parameters for the two sides and then opposing "captains" set up the objectives for their teams. The server then generates the missions and the radar aspect can be included using functionality in the new HSFX4.0 mod. Looking at the SEOW Wiki it looks like the ground controller gets a radar view of the map showing all detected aircraft on it.

I don't know the first thing about this stuff but I think we have a couple of guys who have been more active than me in these online wars in the past - maybe they can shed some light on how this works. I don't think it is necessary to have a dedicated server for these SEOW missions, but I may be wrong.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:33 am

Neil, I think no-one has had much experience with SEOW in the FI (if any), so it could be more trouble than its worth, it would be better to do the honour system, in the long run it would save countless headaches for you.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 am

The Radar idea sounds good.
Those of us that have flown the BoB map already are familiar with the landmarks, so bearings shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Would love to give it a go.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 pm

I'd rather run externals and have a smooth experience for all than try and run something that may or may not work on a Sunday night. It's your call Neil but if it were me I'd go for the easy option !!
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.