New clean IL-2 install woes ...

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

New clean IL-2 install woes ...

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:33 pm

This is interesting ...

I'm installing a new IL-2 for the new 4.09m thing and I get nuttin' but attitude.

hmph!

Okay, so I turned off the UAC, right-clicked on a.exe and ran is as administrator. It installed. I clicked on the il2fb and got this:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\OL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

So, what's the deal, what's goin' on, what's goin' down, what's the major malfunction, whatever, you're not the boss of me, you don't know me, I don't have to ...

oh sorry, had a flashback there for a bit.

Anywho, what did I do wrong?

Thanks

Fal "and then we all went down together" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Re: New clean IL-2 install woes ...

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:43 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\OL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Fal "and then we all went down together" con

Stu I think C:\Program Files is your problem, have you tried and install it into it's own folder or try in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\IL2 Sturmovik 1946? As C:\Program Files is for Vista stuff and C:\Program Files (x86) is for non-Vista stuff.

My 2cents.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 pm

Gentlemen ...

no, I mean you guys,

Okay, so I'm gonna stop dickin' 'round with juggling three installs and start with a clean slate and install IL2 4.07, then update to 4.08m and then to the new 4.09m in Vista 32. How do I do that? Apparently, I had no problem six weeks ago. Now, it's problematic.

Procedure please.

thanks,

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 am

Well gee, thanks for all the help guys.

;)

Sorry, as it happens, there was a forth copy of IL-2 that I had that was hiding in Nellie's room behind the clock that was confusing the installer. Once I said "yes" to removing everything, all was well.

Now, do we need 4.09m with mods or 4.09m clean for next Sunday?

Falcon

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:17 am

My suggestion would be 4.09m clean - that is what I will be writing the missions in.

Still seems to be no clear consensus on what will happen with mods going forward - maybe AAA's new UI 1.2 will sort things out. I suggest as a squad we stick with 4.09m clean for Sunday coops until consensus on modded versions is reached.

My two cents

Nellip
Olegs stalker

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:49 pm

I agree with that.

Nice clean simple install
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I made the mistake of deleting the folder the game was in before running the uninstaller- now when I try to install, the only option it gives me is to uninstall, which causes a fatal error. So, I can neither install nor uninstall.
I tried running Revouninstaller, and got rid of the registry entries, but that has'nt helped.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Sacktime
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Sacktime » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 am

Murph give the Revo Uninstaller a go. If IL2 is in the registry somewhere Revo will rip it out for you!
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Murph

The problem is you've deleted the folders and not the uninstall info. If the uninstall info is still on the machine when you launch the il2 CD it has a check and see's the info is present and thinks the game is installed.

if you have a look in c:\windows\installer. (This is a hidden system folder so if you don''t allow explorer to un-hide system folders you wont be able to see it) In this folder you will see lots of files.Msi or folders with MSI's, this is the uninstall location so it you ever delete a folder the chances are you'll have issues when trying to Re-install the app, unless you do it proper through Add/Remove.

see below, look at the state of mine :)

Like Sacktime says try to get hold of an uninstall tool or you could try the once from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Careful what you remove with this Murph, you don't want to remove all your application uninstall info or you're gonna have a hard time uninstalling anything. Just pick out il2 fron the list and click remove. It won't remove the game just the uninstall info so the next time you put the CD in, it will want to install it.

Hope this helps

Mike
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks Mike. I found a workaround for my problem in the meantime, but this is really important to know in future.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Guess you guys forgot the ol' "install it on the 12th of the month and have a sacrificial goat to hand" routine eh?

:)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 am

Windows 7 dropped on the doormat this morning so I'm going to be in the long grass for a while. Hopefully I will be up and running for Sunday. Going from 32 bit O/S to 64 so its a complete clean sweep job.

I think I will install the 4.09 for now and wait for mods to catch up with it.

Apart from IL2 the only other games I am planning on re-installing are Arma2 and Fallout 3. I've not played Red Orchestra for ages and the latest Rise of Flight patch has shafted it.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:23 pm

:FI:Scott wrote:the latest Rise of Flight patch has shafted it.
Yep - haven't played it since 1.07 was released - well a couple of times only which was enough to realise what a "pigs ear" they had made of the AI! Worse thing is you cannot even roll it back to the previous version, you have to wait for the developer to fix it :evil: :roll:
Olegs stalker

:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Yep,

its the one big down side of auto-updating.

The Russian Roulette single player was my favourite part of the game but the bloody stupid AI accuracy has killed that. They say its being fixed so lets see.

On the Win 7 front I'm all 64 bit OS'd up. I'm not quite believing that it could be that simple so I'm waiting for the crash from hell. The only problem that I've got atm is that I forgot to back up my skins folder in IL2. I will get round to sorting that when I've got everything else back up and running.

P.S.
thanks for the advice Kev, I haven't got round to HL yet but I will watch out for it.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:29 am

:FI:Scott wrote:Yep,

its the one big down side of auto-updating.

The Russian Roulette single player was my favourite part of the game but the bloody stupid AI accuracy has killed that. They say its being fixed so lets see.

On the Win 7 front I'm all 64 bit OS'd up. I'm not quite believing that it could be that simple so I'm waiting for the crash from hell. The only problem that I've got atm is that I forgot to back up my skins folder in IL2. I will get round to sorting that when I've got everything else back up and running.

P.S.
thanks for the advice Kev, I haven't got round to HL yet but I will watch out for it.
No probs mate but if your waiting for the mother of all crashes then you'll be there for a while LOL

it is increadably easy to install and looks and works alot better than that heap of crap Vista in my personal oppinion but i'll let you make your own mind up on that. I've had it about two months now and have never had a problem so far even with all the modding up and stuff.

Kev