New Card- Couple of Issues

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

New Card- Couple of Issues

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:49 pm

Since installing my new 260 and installing the latest drivers (186.18) I've had something happen each time I boot up; The screen will momentarily revert to a very low resolution, and then reset to 1680x1050 ( my desktop native res), in the process scrambling all of my many desktop icons. Very annoying, as I then have to reposition them all in order to find anything.
Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere I should be using to avoid having this happen?
I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Also, I've been experimenting with different screen resolutions for Il2, trying to get better FPS and target visibility. The game looks great at 1680x1050, but runs a bit slow since the maximum refresh rate for this is 60. The breakpoint for a higher refresh rate seems to be 1152x864 (refresh rate 75), and the game still looks great with AA and AF maxed, and good FPS, but there is some stretching of the image since this is not a widescreen res.
I'm using the mod that allows widescreen settings, but I don't know which resolution in this range would be widescreen. Can anyone suggest a true widescreen res in this range?
My monitor is a SyncMaster T220.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: New Card- Couple of Issues

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:03 pm

First problem- weird.
To start did you use a driver cleaner to remove your old drivers before the upgrade. I had a problem along similar lines and it was a corrupted driver install. Before you go down the route of clearing and re-installing the driver have you checked to make sure that your windows resolution and the one in the Nvidia control panel are the same. Oh yeah, have you got the machine set up for multiple monitors- if so scrap that and work the problem through on one.

Second- Dunno.
Im running in 1680x1060 as its my native res too. I read somewhere its best to use the native res but not sure why. Got to be honest with you though Murph, as pretty as it looks I used to see more at lower resolutions, especially incoming bandits.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:02 pm

I did use driver cleaner to clear out the PC before installing the new ones, especially since it was a new card.
Desktop and NVCP res are the same. Hmm.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 am

Updating to the latest drivers (190.15) seems to have cleared things up.