Hosting Sundays DF

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Hosting Sundays DF

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Frank,

Could I try hosting sundays DF on my server?

I'm creating a server on a station that has a reasonable spec to see how it goes. I'll be using Windows server 2003.

I'll also be using the Latest dedicated server software 409b along with FBDJ. If you've not heard of the new FBDJ software the details are below. It's like the old FBDaemon software used as a front end to the dedicated server. It's more user friendly with some nice extra features.

New Features of FBDj are:

• GUI Interface for managing the program.
• Dynamic adjustment of Objectives through the GUI while a mission is in progress.
• Count based objectives (Cars, AAA, Tanks, etc) or Target based objectives (Hit xx number of targets in a Target Area)
• Kill Sharing. Kills will be shared equally between those who damage a plane and the pilot who actually got the kill as recorded by the game in the IL2 event log. For example, if IL2 records you as damaging a plane and your wingman comes in and finished the plane off, you will both get ½ a kill.

• Probable Kills. Air Kills are broken down into Confirmed Kills (where IL2 actually records the kill in the event log) and Probable Kills where you damage a plane and get an EAD message when it lands. Since the other plane returned to their base and was not recorded as getting shot down you will only receive a Probable Kill.
• Loadout Restrictions - Planes can have weapon loadouts restricted. If a pilot selects a loadout that has been restricted they will get 3 warning messages to refly and select a different loadout. If the pilot does not hit refly he/she will be kicked.
• Limited Plane availability per Aerodrome. - Plane availability can be limited at an airbase. You can have an “In Use” or “Total” limit per plane. In Use limits controls the number of planes that can be selected by pilots for that aerodrome at a time. Total Limits controls the number of planes that are allowed in the game. As they are destroyed, they are not replaced.
• Plane Kills on the ground - There is a configuration option to disregard plane kills on the ground. This helps with carrier ops and ground handling where collisions are common due to poor forward visibility and spawning accidents.
• Auto Ban for Friendly Air Kills and Friendly Ground Kills. A pilot can be banned for a set time period if they kill a certain amount of friendly targets. (There are 2 separate counters, 1 for Air kills and 1 for Ground kills)
• Friendly Fire Notification in Chat bar
• Ability to Schedule a Mission or Schedule Mission Cycle change (A mission Cycle is a list of missions to be run)

Enhancements for Stats are:
• Better overall accuracy of Stats.
• Totals by Squadron. Pilots can be placed into Squadrons. (Note there is a Squadron total Table on the home page. The main Squadron page is still under development.)
• Tracking of Ground object kills. If you have been shot down by an 88mm Flak gun it will tell you.

No promises here guys, my connection may not be strong enough to support all the action. Lets just call this a trial. If it goes tits up ill need to think about an external host.

Mike

P.s Frank, yesterday you asked about the moded planes and how the dedicated server knows about new additions! You need to update a database file on the server with the new planes/loadouts
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: Hosting Sundays DF

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Well, if it was up to me I´d say why not, Mike! :)

Actually Greg and Vin will run the show tomorrow so you should ask them ... if they would agree do the missions need to be edited regarding the FBDJ code? I´ve kept an eye on the development of the FBD script but unfortunately this latest version is really meant to be used on dedicated servers only ... :(

Anyhow, ... I´d like to try it, Mike. If not tomorrow then maybe later today????

Cheers, Mike! ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Should we add a mission pool where mission builders can upload their missions so that the hoster, whoever it might be to that time, can download and use those missions?
Image ImageImage
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:51 pm

:FI:Airway wrote:Should we add a mission pool where mission builders can upload their missions so that the hoster, whoever it might be to that time, can download and use those missions?
This sounds like a good idea to me, Marco. But it always depends what the peeps like though ... :shock:
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

We can tag them for easier identifying
Image ImageImage
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 pm

ah ok Frank, wasn't up to speed with whats going on. I think tomorrow may be a bit soon anyway.

I'm having a few issues with the software at the mo, the dedicated server is running ok but when i try to use the FBDj software it doesn't seem to be working fully. been getting a bit of the Java errors thrown up so i'll need to do a bit more reading. If you have any 4.09 missions made though frank, even if it's just bomber prac, send them over and i'll use then as a trial for the server.

I'll keep you updated on how it's going.
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:49 pm

No problem for me mike, Send me a PM if yer up and running and I can send you, the missions.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:09 am

Do you guys join off an IP addy? Last time I saw everyone flying, I couldn't find the server on HL.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am

Yes guys - set up a DynDNS adress, so that we don't ever have to ask for the IP again.
Image ImageImage
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:43 pm

We will be going through IP I think, just not sure who's. It will be either Franks, Mike or Kent's today. We will be using the Modded version, with the new thing to make objects move on dog fight servers. I have the missions ready and will be sending them out later this afternoon.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks for the "heads up". :|
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Did anyone have any issues with lag when I hosted on sunday? Think I got a little but nothing bad. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else had issues so I know to continue working on the server or not.

Think I'll put il2 Service commander on the server for the moment. The FBDj wasn't working too well. It looks like it's not reading a log file as no info was showing up.

Greg, Frank and Nellip if you's get any missions made send them over and i'll put them on the server. Also if you want to add limited planes an loadouts this can be added.

Maybe an idea to Download il2sc and use this to edit your missions. You dont need a server to use the software.

just an idea!
Last edited by :FI:Mikester on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I thought the server was fairly solid mike, and that with about 40 moving tanks and all. I'm working on a few missions @ the moment, red side will have Su-33's, blue side will be limited to 2 players with hot air balloons and a catapult to share between them :( . Nah I going with Gadje's advise and making the plane set much better for red side side, I'm hopeing to test some of the match ups before Sunday.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:01 pm

:FI:Mikester wrote:Did anyone have any issues with lag when I hosted on sunday? Think I got a little but nothing bad. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else had issues so I know to continue working on the server or not.

Think I'll put il2 Service commander on the server for the moment. The FBDj wasn't working too well. It looks like it's not reading a log file as no info was showing up.

Greg, Frank and Nellip if you's get any missions made send them over and i'll put them on the server. Also if you want to add limited planes an loadouts this can be added.

Maybe an idea to Download il2sc and use this to edit your missions. You dont need a server to use the software.

just an idea!
No lag for me - saw all the bullets that shot me down :lol:

I have a 42 DF mission done - just need to write the brief, not that anyone ever reads them. Mike - PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Taken your advice and downloaded IL2SC but not had any opportunity to play with it yet.
Olegs stalker

The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:20 pm

ok Nellip sounds good.

once you get the il2sc download http://jg6.net/public_html/index.php?na ... ads&get=11 extract the file and place the il2sc folder into your main il2 folder with all your other files and folders. Make a copy of your il2.exe and rename the copy il2Server.exe now double click the il2sc folder and run the il2sc.exe

The first thing you need to do is point the application to the il2Server.exe you created, this just stops any errors and makes it think you have a server. so once the app has started click on the settings tab, then point to the il2server.exe save the changes and you'l be back to the main screen.

Now hit the Edit map tab, you should see your mission folders on the left. If you double click your mission folders and double click the mission file you'l see it move over to the right. To Create custom settings for your mission select the "override default" option and select the "set Limit" option. Now when you click on the "edit ini" option it will create and open a custom ini file for adding planes/pilots and targets. Have a read of the help file located in the main il2SC folder. It looks a little confusing to set targets but i'm sure once it's done once you can always refer to this as a template. Remember and send the ini file with your missions.

GL