Alternate History - Pacific Coops

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Alternate History - Pacific Coops

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 pm

I was thinking about the alternative history for the 1946 version of the game and started thinking if we could do something similar for the Pacific Theatre. I was decorating today and didn't have much else to think about :lol:

The story I came up with goes like this:

Time is November 1945. The war in Europe is over but tensions between the USSR and the other allies have grown since the defeat of Germany. Stalin has decided that he doesn't want the USA having an unconditional victory over Japan and is now covertly supplying Hirohito with arms and technology, including jet aircraft from German factories captured on the advance to Berlin. As yet the USSR are not actively fighting the Western allies but it could happen if tensions worsen.

In early August 1945 a large explosion took place on a US B29 base in the Pacific which killed many hundreds of American bomber crews and as a result of the improved aircraft being supplied to them and less US bombers being available, Japanese industrial production has improved. The US invasion of Okinawa stalled and fighting is continuing on these islands.

Many Luftwaffe experten who were captured by the Soviets have been sent east to train Japanese crews on the new jet aircraft. Rumour is some of them are now flying combat missions against the US.

Thats the scenario - so we get Me262's, Hs126's, Ar234's etc in Japanese markings flying against US forces in the Pacific!

I plan to write one coop a week for a while to explore the possibilities of this scenario, in vanilla 4.08m so we don't get problems with different versions of the mod.

Anyone interested in this?
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:36 pm

This would be different. It would be interesting to see how well a 262 runs on rice.

I'll be there.

thx Nell

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Sound interesting to me, Neil!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:03 pm

I´d say let´s give it a go and see how the German-Japanese technology transfer would had looked like after the capitulations in 1945.

Hei, Nellip-San! :beg: ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Hei :beg:

Go [-o<
Image ImageImage
Uncle_Stranger

Post by Uncle_Stranger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Great idea.
It would be nice to fly some jets for a change.

Talking about jets...
You know what would be nice?
To fly some kind of like what if Cold War, which would wen't little bit hot btw, scenario just with the jets and some other late war planes that we have in the game.
Mig-9's, Yak-15's, Il-10's, Tu-4's ( camouflaged B-29) for Ruskies and P-80's, F-86's (transformed Ta-183's ), B-29's, plus some of the other jets and bombers for NATO.

I guess it would be fun scenario with lots of options for further development.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't talk to strangers!
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Whatever someone is prepared to put the time and effort into creating I will be happy to fly.

So far we have gone from WW1 to post WW2. Pretty good going for a sim originally based on a Russian bomber.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm tinkering around with the FMB at the moment with a view to making some coops, any particular map or scenario anyone?

Unsure of whats been flown in my abscence.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Vin,

I think you missed the start of Goths Ride East ?. It was (is ?) an Eastern Front campaign which started pretty early on in the war. Neil wrote the missions and can fill in the gaps where my memory fails. We did a few Battle of France coops with the new 'hacks' but compatibility issues between members meant that of late we have been sticking to 4.08m.

Neil looks like he is considering writing some alternative '46 missions (see his thread) and thats about it. I think!

P.S- good to see you back around.
- Willy Wonka.

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Vin

Like Richard said - nice to see back on the Squadron rather than platoon boards :D

We did around a dozen missions based on the Pacific 46 scenario using the Okinawa map - very historically suspect but good fun :lol:

I was toying with moving to the Japanese main islands using the 46 scenario - an invasion of Kyushu by Allied forces - but decided to park that for a while.

The last couple of weeks we have done some coops based on the Italy map using 1943 plane set - I have a couple more written for Sunday but nothing after that. All the stuff I have done has been in non modded 4.08 because of the compatibility mentioned.

If you felt like writing a few coops I don't think it would matter what the map or scenario was, like the man said "if you build it, they will come" - not quite the quote from the movie, but close enough :lol:
Olegs stalker

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Ok, how about some Norway stuff, seems nothing has been doen there of late?

Vin
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: Alternate History - Pacific Coops

Post by :FI:Armitage » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:01 pm

the jap vs us with jets would be nice

how how some missions with allied bombers such as b25/a20 etc
I like bombing things
has to be loads of ground targets may

ohh and how about some il-2 missions?
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Sounds good!

I'm all moved to the new place, and other than a few of the missus' projects which can be done at leisure, I'm good to go!

Hei! :D
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:16 am

I have 3 more missions written for the Italy map 1943 but no plans for anything after that.

Don't know what you flew last week after the BgAF match - wasn't Genosse offering some coops on the Manchuria map for August 1945? Did you fly them?

If not then we have at least 2 weeks worth of stuff written assuming Ardmore has nothing else "on the pot" :lol:

If I get the time I would be happy to go back to the Pacific 46 scenario using the Kyushu map - and make sure we get some good mud moving missions in the mix.
Olegs stalker

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Sounds like we are well stocked on missions then.

Gen's missions last week were fine with me- I think the only problem was that we had done the BGAF match and one coop and the prospect of a 30 min flight to get to the action didnt initially appeal at 10pm BST. Shouldn't be an issue if we are having a usual Sunday.

As it turned out the second coop was in reality more fast paced than the first (if you were flying Blue)
- Willy Wonka.

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:43 pm

There are moves afoot to have a semi-historical Pacific campaign, with the focus on the USAAF versus IJA + IJN, starting in New Guinea and ending in Japan. Aircraft that should be in are........P38, P39, P40, P47 and P51 for fighters and A20 and B25 for bombers. For the Japanese side I reckon it would be all the flyables at least. This is all at the idea stage just now.

Perhaps we could try having players choose which side to fly for before the campaign and sticking to the one side for the duration. As ever, all ideas are welcome.

Vin