For SH3/SH4 folks

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

For SH3/SH4 folks

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun May 20, 2007 11:57 am

Das Boot plays Silent hunter 4

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 2.5

M
ImageImageImage
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sun May 20, 2007 12:42 pm

Hey, that's cool, Mac. I can't wait to get my new rig and play SH4.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun May 20, 2007 12:49 pm

The game needs some serious patching even after the 1.2 patch...And the damn UBIZoo posted a poll if there is a need for nextpatch or not. people at http://www.subsim.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are pissed off as it is really bloody evil course of action from the publisher's/developer's side to ask if we wanna have the game fixed. SH4 was on day of it's release finished between 50-75%. Loads of bugs showed themselves and even such ridiculous things as options described in manual (and even presented om manual screenshots) weren't in the game , such as weapons officer assistance. In manual there is such option described, no such thing will you find in the game. the game has potential, just look at SH3. But I am afraid that moddeds spoiled this damn publisher name of UBI. And I hate the fact that we have to beg for another patch while the game is still not finished.

So in the meanwhile I stay with Silent hunter 3 patched to 1.4b and with Grey Wolves 1.03 supermod and some other interface enhancements installed. Best subsim ever, doesn't CTD, AI is pretty good, and the feeling of being on a U-Boot is really there. SH4 is more eye candy compared to SH3, but losses in other areas.

Mackaleun
ImageImageImage
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Sun May 20, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm thinking about going back to SH3 also, Falcon apparently had the right idea - who'd a guessed!?

It needs some mega patching to be one of the best 10 games ever (in my opinion) and then they say that!

Had alot of fun with they're technical support lately, they keep telling me its problems with my system and I keep responding with 'no' - its your game bugs, fix it! any idiot can see its the bugs yet they repeatedly try to baffle me with technical BS and try saying its my setup and rig - no its as clear as day its they're product.

I just don't get games today and why they appear to leave it to modders to fix - I'm sure it will get better once the modders have fixed it and given some time to do so I'm sure.

I'm gonna make sure I don't buy one ubi product this year (undecided which), next year they'll be down £30 and might listen.. lol

NC (Making a stand!)
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Sun May 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Ah it's crap to be sure, but when measured against all the other crap that that UBI has shoveled our way it is still good. The stock game is very poor, but Mod it up to RFB 1,24 and it get's a lot better, and WAY harder. The thing I want fixed is the TDC, thats it really. My view is a lot of bitching is going on because people are not getting a lot off sinkings while playing full real & and playing in noob mode you are wipping out the jap navy in one go. I find the Real Fleet Boat Mod get's a fairly close picture of what the patrols were realy like, I went from having patrols of almost 200,000tns to patrols of 20-30,000tns( which is about on par for Pacific sub's, remember that US subs sank less ship's in all of 1943, then german U Boat's sank in 1 month in the north atlantic in 43. Uber U Boats :) )
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Sun May 20, 2007 4:53 pm

I still enjoy SH3 and the ton of excellent mods for it. If SH4 sinks I'll go back to me rusty old u-boat. I bet that damn Hurricane will continue to miss me off the coast of England. :lol:
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun May 20, 2007 9:28 pm

The thing is not if the modders fix the bame but if it is playable just after the patches. And the attitude - begging for patches....

just ridculous....

NC, youll get a UBI product - Oleg's BoB;)
ImageImageImage
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Mon May 21, 2007 9:27 am

I said 'one' product and i'm not going to miss BoB Mac!

I know I keep mentioning 'Sniper Elite' but they never brought out a patch for it and I didn't find any bugs in it worth patching. So they "Can produce a fully working game" ^^

I'm off to find some of these SH4 Mods Gregs mentioned, I've not looked or found (obviously) any yet. Not played it in a week and really quite missing it lol

NC
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon May 21, 2007 9:44 am

:FI:Nightcat wrote:I'm off to find some of these SH4 Mods Gregs mentioned, I've not looked or found (obviously) any yet. Not played it in a week and really quite missing it lol

NC
Wayne, ole chap!

Please take a look here ...

Real Fleet Boat 1.24

or

Trigger Maru Version 1.1 (formerly known as "Flavour To Taste" mod)

Enjoy your trip, W! ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Mon May 21, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks Frank :D
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon May 21, 2007 11:32 am

. . .I assume these are sub-plots
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon May 21, 2007 1:37 pm

So would you guys say it is worth picking this game up if you already own SH3? Seems like there are tons of bugs at the moment.
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Mon May 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Well...I preordered it and played a bit. It looks damn awesome, and plays not that bad.But the bugs really can piss you off.

And SH3 with GWX is a masterpiece.
ImageImageImage
Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm

The game outweighs the bugs in my opinion, they can like Macca says "Piss you off" but it can / could be so much better - definately enjoyable and fun.

If you don't have that much knowledge about submarines and torpedos that'll can help with the enjoyment no end. I know alot of us get caught up in wanting something exactly the same as the real thing (without getting wet) and becoming rather anal and seeming to totally make a good sim sound terrible lol

I'd give it :nferret: :nferret: :nferret: :nferret: /5 easily

NC
AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Tue May 22, 2007 3:57 am

Well, SH4 is sitting here collecting dust until I can get that Super Cray II Computer to run it. :lol: Hey, I also got Sniper Elite- great game. Kept crawling on my belly all over Berlin.

Here's a neat (but dangerous) tip(?) in SH3 to get that pesky Hunter/Killer destroyer.

1. Say yer prayers- you'll need it.
2. Make sure you get to periscope depth so the bugger can see you.
3. Make sure all torpedoes are ready.
4. The destroyer may head straight for you, maybe bow first (if you're lucky)
5. Line up good and let him get close enough and let go 4 little fish at him.
6. If the seas are rough good.
7. 1 or maybe all the torps will hit him and make sure to submerge quickly.

I did that and the destroyer crested on a high wave, exposing the underside of his hull and 2 torps hit him mid-keel splitting him in two! 8) Man, that was really good to see. But I won't recommend you do that often but it was a lucky hit.