Can't uninstall and reinstall 1946!!...HELP!!

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Pike
Boardie

Can't uninstall and reinstall 1946!!...HELP!!

Post by :FI:Pike » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:24 am

Dear All,
Help!!....Tried to install and run a third party campaign generator. 1946 crashed and the computer rebooted on minimal graphics. Tried to reset graphics but every time I exit 1946 computer reboots. Tried to remove and reinstall.....would not uninstall. Tried to install on another (G:\) drive and it did so but still with minimal graphics and reboot on exit. Game uninstalled from G:\ without a problem. I think it may be because I forgot that I had the NoCD patch in the game and tried to uninstall. I think I need to remove all traces of 1946 with fresh install. Probably will not get this sorted out by Sunday so see you the week after. PM me if anyone wants the DXDIAG.
Best regards,
Scott (:FI:Pike).
Gilabran: "Put the bloody thing out!"
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 pm

was it "DCG", or something else? (have you uninstalled Campaign generator?)

Does everything else work OK? ie. everything except IL2

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Dear Sneaky,

Yes it was DCG.....I updated it ran it and 1946 crashed on me and the computer rebooted. Then I had the problems I described. I tried OFF and that worked fine, so it does only seem to be 1946. So do you know how to remove it......?
regards,
:FI:Pike.
Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:59 pm

I suppose that it would be sensible to uninstall DCG, and try to reinstall 1946...........I still have a problem with Pe-2 in that I cannot remove it and reinstall either......it gets to PF and then asks if you want to uninstall FB and AEP so as I had 1946 I just left it. I cannot explain this computer crash every time I exit 1946 though.
regards,
PIKE.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:20 pm

Q did you restore the Dgen/Ngen files if you changed them in DCG?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:00 pm

Pike!

It's Sunday morning!

How are you doin' getting your game goin'?

Enough about marital bliss.

Have you fixed your IL-2 yet?

Be sure to test all the settings before flight time tonight.

Best of luck,

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:50 am

Dear Sneaky,
Not sure what you mean about restore. I had no time to attempt anything last weekend
I will try to delete 1946 manually, clean out the registry and then try to reinstall. I did send a request to the Ubisoft people but they have yet to reply........irrespective, I will try tonight and see what happens.
Regards,
SLP
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:02 am

If you used DCG to generate any missions you have to switch the dgen/ngen folders for DCGs own versions to run them. You should switch these back (from the DCG control panel) when running stock Il2 campaigns. Look under the "Mode" tab in DCG.

It is also possible DCG is looking at the wrong path for 46 (Ubi soft and not Ubisoft). Look under "Files" tab in DCG.

Are you using the standard (securom) Il2FB.exe or the no DVD version.
The Securom registry entries may need removing to re-install.

You might find some help at http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

Any entries in "dcgerror.txt" ? for DCG
or "hs_err_pidxxxx.log" for 46 ?

Does your PE2 still run Ok without crashing?

Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:37 am

No I still have the same situation with Pe-2 in that I cannot uninstall or reinstall but I had left that as I had 1946. So it is probably the NoCD .exe that is doing it on both games.........how do I solve this problem again??....step by step would be nice, then I could reinstall both!!??
Best regards,
SLP
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:22 pm

In PE2 the exe is unchanged, no CD fix is by new rts.dll.

You can try replacing the 46 exe file to uninstall.

if still stuck you'll probably have to go to the registry and delete the appropriate keys. There is a DL on the stickies for the tool to remove Securom.

I doubt that the changed exe is preventing the uninstall.

Do any versions of IL2 show up in "Control Panel/Add Remove Programs"?

try that step first , then run any registry cleaner you may have.

CC (crap cleaner) or AWC shoukld do it. BUT BACK UP FIRST!

Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Yep......I already have the various users/skins/missions all tucked away.
regards,
SLP
Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:58 pm

and no none of them show up in the control panel uninstall/reinstall.
regards,
SLP
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:37 pm

:FI:Pike wrote:Yep......I already have the various users/skins/missions all tucked away.
regards,
SLP
Good move, If install/uninstall still not working Backup registry and delete keys for Il2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft
|
|

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles AEP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubi Soft\Pe-2 Peshka

etc.
But Back UP Registry first.

you should be able to do all this with Start/Run/Regedit

Dont think you'll need to remove Securom reg keys, but if you do look here:-

http://endlager.net/fis/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6386

for any other issues see:-

http://endlager.net/fis/phpBB2/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
May as well disregard all the switcher stuff as thats pretty redundant now unless youve got plans to go to J_O, though they'll be upgrading in June anyway.

Do a defrag before re-install, always good practice.

GL m8

Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 pm

Well I tried to get the securicom remover reddellnull but the site was inaccessible. I can install onto the drives but the game does not show up in add/remove programs so I can't remove except manually. The game still causes a crash on exit and a blue screen shows momentarily. I am not too sure about getting rid of the registry keys, but I will try that as last resort. I suppose I just do a search in the registry for anything with IL-2 in it and delete everything. The free reg cleaners do little unless you pay up for them!! Oh yes, the chap at ubisoft said to delete one of tthe temp files but there was a files that said it was being used by another prog so it would not delete. We did manage to remove it but it went staight back again after the crash/reboot.
regards,
Pike.
Boardie

Post by :FI:Pike » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:09 pm

OK I got it wrong....I was looking at the wrong link. I will try again using the regdellnull...I was also looking for REDDELLNULL which is a misspell.
This is really winding me up but I hope to solve it soon...I am sure that it is something to do with the security measures that come with the game as all the other games I have are working fine.....I'm still having trouble with the Pe2 because Boonty box will not accept either of the 2 codes I have for 2 copies. Every time I try to install I get as far as PF and it just uninstalls everything up to that point. I do not want to have to reload windows....that is what started all this in the first place with Pe2.
regards,
Pike.