New Campaign - The Goths Ride East

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:27 pm

Good news folks.

Vin has kindly offered to host again on Sunday, 7.30pm GMT, for the next few Eastern Front missions.

If memory serves the final Lvov mission is a night one so eat plenty of carrots before Sunday lads :D

Then its on to Smolensk and the fighter boys get to ditch the I16 flying lawnmovers and move on to a real aeroplane, the Mig3.

Hopefully I will be able to join so see you Sunday.

Nellip
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:19 am

\:D/
:FI:Ghost
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Ghost » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:51 am

Huuraaaa, za rodinu!
*Bury me at sea where no murdered ghosts can haunt me, if I rock upon the waves then no corpse can lay upon me*
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:21 am

Wpieriod!!! Bij!!!
ImageImageImage
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Stats are up for Sundays coop(04/03/07), as ever if you see something not quite right let me know. Some allowances have been made for those killed due to lag.
Another point to note is that promotion will only be based on missions alive and medals awarded for great deeds and stoutheartedness in the face of great odds, as long as your alive of course :).

I'll be good for hosting next Sunday as well. Which brings me nicely to the next item, lagging, obviously as we are all over the world lagging might be a problem, but we could try a few things ourselves to try and reduce it. Looking at some threads over at the ubizoo it seems to me we could give the settings of VFS-22_ Sparx a try, here is the link to his settings.
The quick version is that everyone should set il2 config net settings and HL config settings to match that of the host ( I have set mine to Sparxs).
It wont get rid of all lagging(skins are the cause) but it might help and is worth a go.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:06 pm

I take it that everyone has read the above regarding the net settings and understood whats needed, goodo, because on Sunday I wont be hanging around patiently waiting while folk ask how to do it.

It takes long enough to get under way as it is and here is the best place to ask the questions, not when we're in HL and ready to fly.
This is a test to improve the Sunday coops, so we need everyone who is turning up to have these settings in place before we fly.
This may seem a bit harsh, but we have guys from Europe who dont have all night, and have to stop after only two missions because of restarts and silly questions. Restarts are fine, as it accidents can happen to the best of us. So lets have any questions regarding the settings now please.

Vin
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear you boys are still having trouble with custom skins. While I don't see any simple solutions, well except to not use them :-#, I will be interested to see how this change helps. In theory, it should be a big help to the server, and for participants hopefully avoid excessive packet loss. I was encouraged to also try this with my smaller group using 56K for my particular setup.

As already mentioned the custom skin is a real kick in the pants. In order to use a skin-pack approach you guys can't also enable the "Skin Download" option, which doesn't look at your installed skins but just the Netcache (and since it uses a weird naming convention you can't just dump these skin files in that directory beforehand). :?

If you were to settle for just generic :FI: skins for each plane type, then the mission designer could specify this in the .mis file. Then everyone would install the skins, disable Skin Download, and enjoy a lag-free session with generic custom skins. I realize this is not as much fun as using personalized skins. :(

Notwithstanding, with the proposed Netspeed changes I'm hoping you guys can achieve an acceptable level of performance. Hopefully one of these days I will have access to the family computer on a Sunday afternoon to join you lads. Sounds like a lot of fun! ^:)

Regards,
TS!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 pm

:FI:Ardmore wrote:I take it that everyone has read the above regarding the net settings and understood whats needed, goodo, because on Sunday I wont be hanging around patiently waiting while folk ask how to do it.

It takes long enough to get under way as it is and here is the best place to ask the questions, not when we're in HL and ready to fly.
This is a test to improve the Sunday coops, so we need everyone who is turning up to have these settings in place before we fly.
This may seem a bit harsh, but we have guys from Europe who dont have all night, and have to stop after only two missions because of restarts and silly questions. Restarts are fine, as it accidents can happen to the best of us. So lets have any questions regarding the settings now please.

Vin
Right behind you on that...

... but not too close ;)

.and wishing TS access to his PC onSundays

... Cant you just get the kids adopted?

G
I fear no beer

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 pm

OK Vin - checked mine and they are as required - oh and my settings are correct also :lol:
Olegs stalker

Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Your all good men and true ^:) .

Vin
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Hope you all enjoyed last nights missions hosted by Ardmore - sorry I could not sick around for the last one which I thought should be a good one when I wrote it - any feedback on the final Smolensk mission, and did any friendly ground targets get hit?

I gather Vin can host again next week so as Smolensk has now fallen, despite our valiant efforts, we get to defend Kiev. I only have 2 missions written on this map so far but should get at least a couple more done by the weekend.

Fighter pilots another change for you to the LaGG3, bomber pilots keep the single seat IL2 for now. :D
Olegs stalker

AltarBoy
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by AltarBoy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Well, you could change the single-seat and have a rear-gunner on the Il-2. At least that'll give us boys some protection. Can't depend on those fighters all the time.
ImageI'm surrounded by grumpy old men!
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:20 pm

AltarBoy wrote:Well, you could change the single-seat and have a rear-gunner on the Il-2. At least that'll give us boys some protection. Can't depend on those fighters all the time.
The "Field Mod" version of the IL2 which put in the rear gunner was done later in 1941. After Kiev we will move on to the Crimea in autumn 1941 and the 2 seat IL2 will be available (and the Pe2). :D

Not sure if that is strictly historical but what the hell ;)
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:25 pm

That last mission was great Nell.

The convoy on the hill side has a big surprise! Good thing I was driving a tank wiff wings at the time.

More fighters in the mix. TWICE I had to eschew my sweat fighter for a girly-man bomber!

Actually, bombin' is a blast,

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Stats are up for Sundays coop (11/03/07), should be ok, but you can let me know if somethings amiss.

Promotion for the following-- Deathsledge, Falcon, RULES, Badger, Mikester, Nellip and Rabitski ^:|.

A slight problem has arisen with the mission log reader, when it comes to recording a bridge destroyed it seems to award a lot of points to the destroyer..... Nellip and Genosse both destroyed a bridge and got 14 points each, anyone have any idea how to reward the destruction of a bridge fairly?

Heres an idea to help keep lag down to a minimum (taken from a post by Tact), and that is to have everyone download the FIS default skin for the aircraft we're flying and then I can set all the FIS default skins to each aircraft via QMT (a few seconds work), this way, most of the work the skinners have done will not be in vain, with the added bonus of next to no lag.

Questions? answers? lets have some input chaps.

Vin