Hello from a new guy...

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
apachence
Beginner

Hello from a new guy...

Post by apachence » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey All...

Just purchased 1946 and have been playing a few days now. I'll be honest, I'm pretty green when it comes to this kinda stuff, so I'm a bit wary of even being in a squad. Can you say liability?? But, it was said that it's a better way to learn, so here I am. I also hope that online is a lot more fun than (ahem) playing with yourself...and hope you guys to coops and stuff like that. Maybe you could clue me in on what typs of flights you guys run??

A little about me:

Timezone: East Coast, NYC
Maturity Level: Low, but Driver's License says 30 years old.
Verision: Um, 1946 is 4.07 right? I haven't installed the patch yet.

I always liked the flight sims when I was a kid, and figured there had to be a good one out in 2006...which is why I got 1946. Last flight sim I played was CFS2, which was too choppy on my computer and didn't really enjoy. Before that, it was probably some early 90's sims. Yeah! Anyway, got a pretty fast laptop now and handles '46 pretty well. I'm in the middle of my first dynamic campaign, and shot down a few birds. Also ejected at 10 meters. So my experience is pretty low! As far as "real switch" or whatever settings are out there, I'm not that close. Flying with icons, 'easy engines' , speedbar, map stuff, and external/cockpit options. I'm also real new (and don't have downloaded) teamspeak, hyperlobby, etc., so I feel like I need a bit of guidance on how to set up multiplayer "online". I'm a novice's novice of the online world in the game, so bear with me...I'll need some help!

I guess that's it. I'm looking forward to learn more about this game. So far, I've been flying exclusively Bf-109s - I feel like that was a good starter plane. I haven't even touched a jet yet...or carrier based plane, mostly because I don't see how the QuickMissionBuilder let's me do that....but I digress....

Would love to hear back and see what the next steps are. Til then, I’ll be flying over the Crimea.

Peace out.

-Allen
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:29 am

:?
A 109 is not a good starter plane. BUT if you can fly it well, ENJOY!! :D

Hi from Texas and I'll get to flying back online someday. LOL
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:45 am

Hi.
Willies right , but hey you get air starts in QMB.

There should be some carrier practice missions in "Single Missions", but I think its for the Seafire which is even harder.

Zeros or SBDs are better to start with.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:48 am

Hey Allen-

Fellow n00b over here, though unfortunately, I have only version 4.05m because I'm too poor at the moment to buy a whole new game (is there going to be a cheaper "PATCH" version for us PE-2 suckers?).

We need to stick together and learn how to fly. If you can get the version switcher we can go crash into some bombers or something? I have yet to run into anyone in hyperlobby yet.

Hey, you upper boss-types. Do you think it would be okay for us new guys to use names like

=FI wannabe=gurkesaft

So that it's easy for you to spot/haze us as well? Maybe it wouldn't be helpful, though..

Back to looking for the dirt runway if it even exists. Does that sound gross to anyone else?

Cheers!
Jack
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:30 am

If you can find a desert runway you're probably too good for us :badgrin:
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:45 am

gurk,

Yes, practice!

There are no "boss types" here

the only semi-rule we have about names is

don't use :FI: until you become a member.

Some might get a bit huffy about =FI= too

I think I'm right about what I just said

I'll go check with the boss

oh, Sheila!!!!

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:06 am

Welcome apachence!!

Have a poke around the Topics (espesh the Technical & Comms Issues topic) to get the set up info. What I found useful is the manual in the game itself. I should be a PDF file in your 1946 directories.

Start with something you feel comfortable flying and work on it from there. I would recommend progressively switching the difficulty settings on as you go though, or you'll get a short sharp shock when you do go online (most if not all will be switched on). It's all a learning thing an won't take that long with the appropriate Jedi-like assertion.

As for carrier landings, have a go and ask me if you need any pointers - the guys will tell you how stylish my landings are from last Sundays Coop session.... :lol:

Enjoy!!!

Huzzar!!
:FI:Badger
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:49 am

Best combat practice I've had/get is "Rabbit" when Mikesters hosting,
and you could always look in here:-
http://endlager.net/fis/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

and request the assistance of Hauptflugausbilder Genosse

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks for your comments sneaky.

I would be more than happy to Host a game of rabbit, Just dont always get the players and it can get a bit crazy when other people join. It's the best combat prac for beginers thats for sure. Gives you a feel of the plane and gives you lots of chances to shoot and be shot @ :))

If Im in the lobby and anyone wants a game just page me, I like to have a bit prac also, I will be more than happy if i can help anyone along the way.
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:22 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:(...) and request the assistance of Hauptflugausbilder Genosse
Sneaky, ole Russian!

What the heck is a Hauptflugausbilder? Can I eat that? :shock: :lol: ;)

I´m not very keen to take the role of a flight training instructor though, mate ... :?
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:05 pm

sorry about my babelfish German.

I dont mind opening up a practice field on HL, or we could always direct them to:-

Badger
Postmaster

Post by Badger » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:01 pm

Hey apachence and any new guys.

I'm no expert, but if you see me in Hyperlobby you are more than welcome to page me (using the Hyperlobby 'pager' function) and we can get hooked up on Teamspeak and find a quiet server to play on. I play around GMT times which may not be convenient, but the offer is there.

For practicing there's always loads of servers that are pretty dead so it gives me a clear map to practice my ground attacks and crashing.

Quick Mission Builder in the game itself is a great place to start, but nothing beats a human wingman or opponent! :badgrin:

I was up on Sunday afternoon GMT and a flyer there wasn't really interested in taking his P-51 any where near the enemy, he seemed to be just practicing his formation flying. He latched on to a broke off of me and a mate several times over about an hour before leaving the server. And why not. He could have practiced off line, but AI aircraft can fly boringly straight and level I suppose! :lol:

Think about assigning your AC functions to your joysick buttons and keys. Look in the sim manuals or the 'Controls' dialogue for the possibilities. It'll save time later.

See you up in the Virtual Skies!!!

Pip-pip!
:FI:Badger
Gurkesaft
Professional Boardie

Post by Gurkesaft » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:31 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:gurk,

Yes, practice!

don't use :FI: until you become a member.

Some might get a bit huffy about =FI= too

F
Heh- So is =FI= some other group? I"ve been trying to chat with the wrong dudes. I guess I haven't seen any of you online ;)

[crude humor deleted as an afterthought]

-Jack
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:40 pm

same =FI=, its just that a few servers have scripts that ban ":"
apachence
Beginner

Post by apachence » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:55 pm

Yeah. I don't know...I just like the 109 (though I haven't flown a lot of different planes)...except for that fact that the engine spurts oil on the windshield after someone looks at you. Someone recommended a Hurricane, but I couldn't deal with so little ammo while learning. The oil thing is frustrating...and i ususally switch to no cockpit cause I'm more interested in playing than crashing at that point.

-ap