USB headphones

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

USB headphones

Post by Deathsledge » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:05 pm

I had to break down and purchase a new pair of headphones, so i opted for the USB headphones. How are these set up for use for gaming?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ^:)

DS
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 pm

You just plug them in mate, Windows the first time will install the necessary drivers, and you should be fine. If mine are plugged in before turning the machine on, Windows will automatically switch audio output to them. If I plug them in before launching a game, then I usually must go into the Control panel and switch my sound output from my Audigy 2 (speakers) to the USB headphones.
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:13 pm

well TS, i have done this so far and played around a bit with them befoe having to leave for work but should i be able to speak through the microphone and hear myself through the speakers or headphones or does the mic only work when playing games?

sorry i should have asked these questions intially. :idea:
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:37 am

Basically the USB headset is a completely independent device. It provides for all sorts of possibilities. Using the Sounds and Audio Devices interface in the Control Panel you can do such things as:

- Select the USB headset under the Audio tab (Sound playback) and the game will play through the headset. This is my preferred method as I use Voice Activation with TeamSpeak.

- Select the USB headset under the Voice tab (Voice playback/recording) to use TeamSpeak. You could leave the main sound playback (Audio tab) to allow the game to go to the speakers, and use the voice playback for communication (TS). This is the beauty of USB headphones. I use this method when I use to play offline campaigns using voice activated wingman commands.

Hope that helps mate. And of course for the USB to show up in the Control panel's sound applet you need to have them plugged in, and don't forget to make sure the volume and mute controls on the headset are properly set.

TS!
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:59 am

thanks TS. ^:)

DS
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:19 am

... and the cushy bits go over the ears.

F