FI Squadron paint scheme

Painters and skinners. Somewhere to show off skins and look for artistic inspiration.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:37 pm

I may have caught a mirrored image from somewhere or just wasn't sure and did it myself.

What is that yellow stripe about anyway, some of the Japanese planes did them too. I know about the red tape over the muzzles, but never got the yellow along the edge.

The more I think about it, I like the idea of the FI planes all being the Eire green instead of the original nationality paint scheme. Make us stand out a bit, a truly FI scheme, not just markings. Maybe still keep some all aluminum planes with markings along with the green...have two options.

Noter
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:19 pm

:FI:Noter wrote:... What is that yellow stripe about anyway ...

I think they were simply squadron identifiers.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Just a little something I painted...
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:10 pm

Our squadron is gonna look so purdy!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:51 am

Thought of another idea as long as I was using the P40 skin, and using the numbers/lines of the AVG, also known as the Flying Tigers... I might as well make....

The Flying Sheep!

And although it's not Sheila, it was about as good as I could do "free-hand" or free moused, I suppose. :D

Now, I just need to figure out how to do believable wings.
Last edited by :FI:Snaphoo on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got red on you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:14 am

Okay, here's another Sheila ...

she looks better if you back up a little.

~~~

Gah! I'm feeling threatened by so much good stuff.

In an attempt to calm down a wee bit ...

Here's one of my P-40's that can get "Greenified" fairly quickly ...

and if we're gonna go blue or bare with the Pacific ac ...

and one more geenie ...

All these ac have good templates availble if you'd like to use them.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 am

that p47s awesome!
:: napier ::

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:29 pm

:FI:napier wrote:that p47s awesome!
Yeah, that P-47 skin and the matching P-51 skin that falcon did are two of my favorites that have been done for those two planes. They look very sharp. How cool would it be for all of us to be on a server somewhere, all in Jugs with that paintscheme?

Well most any of the schemes that have been made in this thread would look really cool if the entire squadron was in them, but I'm just speaking specifically about those two planes.
You've got red on you.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:42 pm

Ok, so where are we with this...are we ready to make it happen. Gonna be some serious skinning going on.

My thought would be to select 10-15 planes we tend to fly consistantly. Do a green scheme and an aluminum if applicable. I say we worry about desert and winter after we see how this first round goes (this is a lot of work). Maybe Falcon has most skins done (I think he's skinned nearly everyplane in the library) and we could divy up adding numbers and nose art to some of us other skinners. If we have a template of where the numbers should go and what font to use, try and keep some consistancy. Or divy up doing the skins for what Falcon hasn't done.

Now...who will get a skin, there are lots more members than there are guys who actually fly. What, 80 something members times 15 starter skins is :-k 1200 skins :shock: :? ...huh...Falcon...Snap...you guys got this right.

Do we start a list and guys sign up, we use an honor system that if you know you don't fly online don't sign up or if you do sign up your skin may take a while...dunno...just thinking it out.

Ok it's out there now what.

Noter
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 pm

I was curious as well. Do we line up the skins made and "vote" (where there are duplicates) on the ones wanted by the squad?

Are we completely done figuring out what skins we want?

Are there any more planes that aren't covered in the examples given previous to now? (I've got an idea for a new FI P-38, for example)

Should we open a thread for each skin, letting those who want the official skins first request them? Then eventually making skins for those who are a little less frequent with their squadron flying.

I'm up for whatever if I am able to help. This will be a fairly serious undertaking, be sure.

But it will be really cool when we get done. :D

Snaphoo.
You've got red on you.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 pm

I obviously cannot help with the real work. If it helps here is a list of all the Squad members that have been active with the Sunday campaign series and Historic Encounters:

Ardmore
Armitage
Baderslegs
Blue2 - Not yet a member, why? Will you be applying Larry? Application still pending mate?
Cider
COM
Deathsledge
Dr. Strangelove
Dutchman
Falcon
Fenian
Flynn
Gadje
Genosse
Gurberly
Heloego
Hunter
IceFrog
Igor
Keppoch
Macca
McBiggles
Menace
Moe
Moog
Murph
Napier
Nellip
Nightcat
Noter
Pike
Rabitski
RULES
Scott
Snaphoo
Sneaky Russian
Snoop Baron
SpookyRuben
TacticalS!
Thawk
ZekeMan

That's about 41 lads to think about.

Some further thoughts -

(a) Will there be a generic skin for each plane for newcomers until they join the Squadron?

(b) Suggest the skins should be downloadable in packs, with future ones for additional skins (and new members).

(c) Whoever zips these skins ought to have it so it can unzip into the individual directories automatically.

(d) Not sure what the H.E. gang wants to do. I suspect they would love to fly in these custom skins. As host I would love it too, provided everyone takes the time to set it up, and only chooses these custom skins or the default skins opposed to any others they may have.

---

This is a lot of work guys. You sure you still want to have personalized skins for everyone? If so I look forward to them. =D]
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Here is a starting list just to get the ball rolling. There are obviously serveral versions of each plane, but one skin can cover several variants. Feels like a lot already. Maybe we could keep it to 15 to start with and go from there. Once the planes are chosen we could submit entries to be voted on or just go with most of Falcon's stuff to get us started.

Spitfire
Hurricane
Mosquito
(Seafire)

Corsair
Wildcat
Hellcat
Dauntless

Mustang
Thunderbolt
Lightning
Tomahawk
Mitchell

IL-2
La-5
Yak(?)
MiG(?)
Pe-2

Zero
Kate
Tony

Noter
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Never flew a "Noter." And who is Tony? A new member maybe. And what's really going on between him and Kate anyway? :D
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:15 pm

We could each grab one skin and each do one a month/week or so... 3 or 4 planes a month would be pretty good and in 3 months we'd have 12 planes for everyone. Obviously if we doubled our monthly efforts, we'd have the 15 "starter" planes much quicker. Just a thought. This is a hobby for me, and I don't see any reason why we should have to cut into our home/family/gaming time too much to get these done. That's not to say that this undertaking won't, but I think the impact can be logically minimized as long as the skinners work together as a team. Because spitting out skins once a design has been determined isn't that difficult (as I don't rasterize any text layers or anything) for me. It's just a matter of changing numbers (and names) dependant on the level of customization, of course.

My question is, how do we prioritize the planes to get the most used planes out first? Spitfire? P-51? 109? IL-2? Yes to all for the first month/week/2 week period?

I agree Noter, there are a few skins that have already been done that would easily work for "official" skins to give those skinning a bit of help while trying to determine what is to be done with the "next batch."
(a) Will there be a generic skin for each plane for newcomers until they join the Squadron?
As those would be "one offs" I don't see why they couldn't be made first, and put into it's own zip file. Then the newcomer would be pointed to the proper online source and he could download the single generic skin prior to the mission/coop session. Obviously, if someone more geniouser than me comes up with something more betterer, that will work too... :D
You've got red on you.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:41 pm

As those would be "one offs" I don't see why they couldn't be made first, and put into it's own zip file. Then the newcomer would be pointed to the proper online source and he could download the single generic skin prior to the mission/coop session.
This is the hard part (not really hard, but time consuming and tricky for some), he'd have to download all the skins or at least those being used that night. Some serious warping if his computer has to download the skin for each guy during the session. This was the reason we stopped using them in HE, it got to be a bit complicated to keep up with the new skins and new players. Oh, but I miss it so...seeing all those FI planes up in the sky together :-({|=

Falcon what skins are you comfortable with us trying this out on...let's do 3-5 and divy up the numbering stuff between you me and Snap, and any others who can/would like to help feel free. The numbers stuff is kinda quick.

I am a big nose art fan, others may not be, but if you have something in mind to use or want something created (gulp) get that to us so we can include it too.

It did look like I was on the list of planes didn't it, especially with the Japanese names right before mine.

Noter