Will Be Back Soon

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Will Be Back Soon

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:46 pm

My new PC components will arrive this week so I can get to work building it.

I dropped out as you may recall due to some virus related issues with my PC. :( I started to clean it up, and decided this would be a good time to go get that monster gaming PC I've been thinking about building. :)

I may need some advice from our experienced PC builders now and then. :?:

Most stuff arrives today, with the Case and a CPU cooler scheduled to arrive tommorrow. :D

Never built one of these before, looking forward to it, at least the Hardware part of it, it's the software set up that worries me the most. :?

For example, how should I format/partician the hard drive to optimize performance and security? I have 150 GIGS of storage to start with on one HD, may get another later on, maybe I shoud get another now so only applications are on this one and data files stored on the other??? :?:

Any ideas on a HD set up strategy? :?:

Oh, by the way, what happend to my picture of the guy with an orange beard that shows up on all my postings?

Later Amigos, :D

Mike
:D
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:24 pm

Well here's what I do just as an example Mike.

Windows XP Home Edition (NTFS)

C: Virtual Memory
D: Windows & Core Programs
E: Gaming (my favourite part of the harddisk :D )
F: Programs
G: Personal Files (need to remap "My Files" to this directory)
H: Backups

---

Basically trying to reduce fragmentation by partitioning. C: at the outer edge of my harddrive and in theory should have the fasts access time. Windows next with maybe a slight chance at thwarting a virus attack coded to attack the OS at the traditional C:. With important user files and downloaded patches, etc on H:, this setup allows me to just reformat C: and D: to reinstall the OS and retrieve programs on H:.

Again just my general approach and some reasoning behind it mate.

TS!
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Some good points there Tactica!S
Mines set up like this
250 Gb SATA drive

C:Windows

Windows
Program Files
Antivirus and system tools
My Documents
D:Production
IL2FB/AEP/PF meged
IL2 Utilites
Program Files
Production
Backup

E:web or C:Web when booting from IDE (this drive)
My Documents
Windows
Program Files
IL2FB/AEP/PF merged (Backup)
Utilities

Defragmentation is a problem when free space is under 15%.
I'd say reserve about 40 Gb for the partition with Windows and internet stuff.

My dual boot keeps the important stuff safe since browsers are disbled.
That also means I can host and not worry about browser attacks when ports are open and the firewall takes care of everything else (hopefully)

Maybe install a backup Windows in about a 10 Gb partition that you could boot to in an emergency.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:11 pm

Now Sneaky how can you justify IL-2 being located on your so-called "Production" drive, eh mate? :D

I like partitioning too as a Dad, because I can hide all the drives from the kids except for G: (My Files - well their files). This keeps them from erasing or replacing files from games or programs.

Vista will offer much improved Parental controls. Presently I have to give my son Administrator rights in order to play any games that require writing to directories outside of his My Files. Tried several approaches to get around this problem but none were satisfactory. Tired of seeing new Search Engines installed in my Internet browser so my daughter is back as a Limited User. She can't play certain online games but too bad. Wished I had my very OWN power machine. ;)

TS!
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:33 pm

are you going to be running a raid setup or no...if you plan for more HDs later.....?

As for partitioning, I sometimes run muliple OS's on the same machine(linux, windows, other ;) ) so ive setup partitions using partition magic, pretty good, easy program to use. You can also manage partitions to some degree under Computer Management.

I currently have 3 HD's. I like to keep windows on a totally seperate drive or at least smaller partition... as something is bound to go wrong with windows or the drive itself. Then I keep all my OS programs on another, and games, personal files on another all with a backup schedule going only to back up my files that I could never lose :o

gl mate
:: napier ::

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Sneaky & Tactical & Napier

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:44 pm

Guys,

How would you allocate what you did to a single Western Digital 10,000 rpm, 150 GIG HD?

Perhaps I should buy one more HD, if so, what should I get?

Don't think I want to buy more than 2 HD's...

I like your approach because it appears to provide additional protection from internet attacks.

I may use some combination of what you all did, once I think on this some more.

Not thinking of using RAID, though I could. Any thoughts on that?

Mike
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:07 pm

I don't have any experience with RAID. Might be something I will look into for my next machine though.

During the reformat/installation of Windows XP you can tell it to partition a single HD as mentioned. The only tricky part is figuring how much you need for each drive in bytes (or was it kilobytes - I think kilobytes can't remember). So with this information handy the re-format/partitioning should go smoothly.

TS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

RAID

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:13 pm

You'll only need RAID if you have SATA or SCSI drives

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Yeah i really wouldnt recommend a raid setup right now, there are multiple set ups but jI dont think they are applicable for the average gamer, pc user.
:: napier ::

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

HD SATA

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:01 pm

The HD I have is SATA, thinking of buying another, but not just now if I can avoid it....my wallet/pocketbook took a beating as it is....

Will let you know what I'm thinking later to see what you think.

By the way, I hope the new ASUS CROSSHAIR MB is compatible with the new ASUS EN7950 GX2 video card (2 cards in one actually). I've not seen anything on the ASUS websight confirming it, but I have seen postings from people who have also purchased these items.

Thanks Guys,

Mike
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

I'm gettin there

Post by MikeVictor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:39 pm

OK, I have my new PC up and running with the help of my local trusted PC shop.

I've installed the basic merged version of PF,IL2,AEP and it works fine, I mean reallllly fine. Will upgrade to the version we use online after next week (I'm going on vacation at the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks next week).

I've installed the basic version of COD as well and will get on line with that soon as well.

I have been looking into partitioning of late and have discovered the following guidance regarding the page file/vertual memory on the HD:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I currently have it in my boot partition along with the OS files. Only have one HD at the moment, but may go along with the recomemndation above later. May need to defrag my Boot partition occasionally if the RAM isn't enough to prevent use of the page file.

I am going to get a wireless and cable capable router soon as well to improve my online security. May want some advice on setting that up at some point.

Looking into optimizing the performance of XP Professional at this time as well.

I just graduated to the serious gamer level with this machine. Bought everything from newegg.com:

ASUS Crosshair MB
AMD 64 X2 4000+ CPU
2 GiG Corsair RAM, DDR2 800
ASUS EN7950 GX2 GPU
WD 150 GB HD 10,000rpm
DVD/CD Lightscribe combo drive (have to return it, it was DOA)
ANTEC P180 Case
750watt Thermaltake PSU
Creative XFi Platinum SoundCard
ICETANK CPU HeatSinkFan
RAZOR Mouse

Will hook up with you all once I get the router installed and get updated to the correct version.

a bit of advice, be very carefull not to bend any CPU pins, I did, but was able to recover from it without damage to the CPU. That is when I called for help from the local PC shop, glad I did.

C you all later,

MicVic :sheep: :)
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:40 am

Nice rig m8

Got to love the P-180, exelent case
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:57 pm

One of the first Crosshair owners, congrats!

Just to chime in on how I partition my stuff with two drives:

C: Windows and applications
D: Games

Pretty simple I know, but works well for me. Then again, I do not have kids and my wife is not allowed to touch my baby anyways :)

I also uninstall everything and anything not related to gaming in Windows. Indluding Outlook, messenger, IE, etc etc.
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Not online yet

Post by MikeVictor » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Not back as quick as I thought,

Personal life got in the way of getting connected again, but I'm about to resolve that.

Thinking about getting a hardware cable/wireless router/firewall.

Any thoughts on that?

Mike
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 am

:? Not a good idea M8...as far as I know, wireless for gaming is a big no no...
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".