Your BOB Compatible Machine

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Your BOB Compatible Machine

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Thought I would start a thread (or yet another one) if mates wanted to talk or dream about their next power rig in anticipation for future games like Storm of War: Battle of Britain (which is a silly name, no?).

-

Well with a little bit of money in the savings account, at least until one of the kids needs it, Dad is starting to explore the possibility of what the next family PC might look like. I say might because it is too early for me to get serious, plus the savings isn't very high yet (unless I convert it all into pennies and stack them end-on-end - well - ok and use some trick mirrors to boot ;) ).

Our current rig is a Dell 8250 that has served the family quite well. My only real beef was the use of RDRAM, which is both expensive and very limiting (i.e., maximum 1.5 GB or 2 GB depending on the speed I want, either choice too expensive to justify).

Anyway, Dell's new XPS 700 model looks promising and is finally a rather open-ended machine for future expansion. See here for more information about this particular system. Btw just browsing of course. There are also some other good choices from other companies.

Even at this point would think about 4GB RAM, since 2GB seems to be the norm. Also would try to maximum the CPU. So hard to tell how fast you really need a CPU, what with so much processing and memory being given not only to the video card(s), but also these physics accelerators. Speaking of which, I wonder, especially when Vista arrives, how the AGEIA® PhysX® physics accelerator (or any physics accelerator) will play out with gaming? Also is dual/quad SLI video card configurations here to stay? Seems like most are turning to LCD monitors (widescreen over 19-inch).

When I priced out what I would like it came to the same cost as our last one. I always find the higher-end rigs end up costing about the same. Sure it's more power than before, but remains all relative in the end.

Anyway what are others thinking or doing at the moment with regards to upgrading/building/buying for the next year or so?

Regards,
Tact - "this post costed me nothing to make! :D " - S!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:25 pm

Well I would say that you should build any high end machine yourself as it gives you more options.

As far as a BOB:SOW box, that would be something I would wait on till the game releases. At the moment Intel+ATI seems to be the way to go for a single card solution. If you are looking at a dual card config, then SLI is still the way to go. In either case, Conroe 6300 or 6600 is going to be the best bang for the buck.

Also, XP cannot recognize more than 3GB of RAM unless you are using the 64-bit version. Vista will however support more RAM.

But if you are building a VISTA box, I would again, wait.
Last edited by :FI:Dr_Strangelove on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 pm

:FI:Dr_Strangelove wrote:Well I would say that you should build any high end machine yourself as it gives you more options.

As far as a BOB:SOW box, that would be something I would wait on till the game releases. At the moment Intel+ATI seems to be the way to go for a single card solution. If you are looking at a dual card config, then SLI is still the way to go. In either case, Conroe 6300 or 6000 is going to be the best bang for the buck.

Also, XP cannot recognize more than 3GB of RAM unless you are using the 64-bit version. Vista will however support more RAM.

But if you are building a VISTA box, I would again, wait.
Absolutely mate. Not looking (or in a position in any event) to buy anything at the moment. I completely agree that I would like to have BOB out long enough for folks to get a handle on with regard to necessary hardware requirements.

However, I am starting to invest a little time in understanding the newer technologies a bit better. For instance, the SLI stuff is only for AMD CPUs? Just not sure what you meant in your comments Dr? Seems like Intel is making some advances over AMD, which was/is the preferred chip for gaming.

TS!
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Yeah I'm gonna have to spend loads when BoB comes out.Brand new machine , brand new joy sticks , brand new Track IR , rudder pedals :D

I hope I can afford it all ;)

Guess I better start saving :?
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:05 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote: Absolutely mate. Not looking (or in a position in any event) to buy anything at the moment. I completely agree that I would like to have BOB out long enough for folks to get a handle on with regard to necessary hardware requirements.

However, I am starting to invest a little time in understanding the newer technologies a bit better. For instance, the SLI stuff is only for AMD CPUs? Just not sure what you meant in your comments Dr? Seems like Intel is making some advances over AMD, which was/is the preferred chip for gaming.

TS!

SLI has nothing to do with AMD as it is a DUAL Graphics card platform from Nvidia. Intel also has SLI capable motherboards you just don't really hear it as often since NVIDIA have much more notoriety on the AMD side. For more info on SLI see here: http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now SLI has been around for quite some time now and still is the best multi-card platform for gaming. ( This would be why I am an SLI user myself )

On the other hand there is an alternative solution from ATI called Crossfire. Read all about it here: http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are behind as they were late to market, but should recover nicely by Q1 or Q2 2007. At that time, I believe ATI will be the way to go as far as Multi and Single Graphics card platforms.

For quite some time now AMD has been at the top of the Gaming Hill but that all changed recently with the launch of Intel's Core 2 Duo Platform. Which is why I suggested Intel+ATI for single card or Intel+SLI for dual card.

By the time BOB comes out, I honestly feel that AMD will once again be showing their innovation by re-taking the gaming performance crown. They have a much better base architecture and will surpass Intel once clock speeds increase and we see Quad Core CPUs in a few months.

So in short, I guess just do some reading on what is going on and wait and see. There is no real answer to your question at this point because by the time BOB hits shelves, all the things you are looking at now will be yesterdays news.

Oh and as far as the Physics cards are concerned, they are worthless right now. It is yet to be seen if add-in Physics cards will catch or not. With Quad Core CPU's on the way, I see no reason why one of the cores could not be dedicated to Physics.

**Disclaimer: sorry if I confused you at all. I actually work in the Industry and am kind of a tech junkie on top of it. I have a tendency to just ramble things off and assume people can make sense of wtf I am talking about.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:32 am

Great stuff mate! I tend to drift away from all the latest happenings until it is time to invest in another machine. Appreciate the tech talk. ;)

TS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:51 pm

I was taking a look at the new OS (Vista). As a parent I was happy to see them bundling some parental controls in their new OS. Presently I use a third-party program called ENUFF to regulate my children's computer time. It has really helped! Too bad I don't use it for myself. ;) Actually Dad has been pretty good lately.

TS!
:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:05 pm

Well, I think i will not upgrade anything until BoB comes out. Maybe just the case and cooling, want to have something more quiet.

And when it comes to saving money...I'd better start saving money for next year summer holidays, would rather have nice vacation and buy a PC and pay for it in installments, than to have no holiday at all;)

Wanna hit ireland once again;)

But i'd go for sth with dual monster video cards, dual core CPU, as much RAM as I can afford, goood soundcard and quiet cooling. It all deserves a good motherboard. However, i won't overclock the CPU nor GPU.

It is all too expensive...

They should add a high end pc to the SoW BoB.....

Mac
S!

Mac(BoB still so far far away - another 2 weeks)ca
ImageImageImage
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:54 pm

thanks for the notes Doc, I am also saving up for a total machine upgrade. I am thinking definately an SLI board, but not sure to go with Intel or AMD yet..I switched to AMD around the Pentium 2 era awhile back and Ive loved the AMD(right now im running a 64 X2 Dual Core) which runs quiet nicely. I am running an ATI x800 card which I def wanna upgrade also.

I guess some of my questions are...

Which board would you recommend for SLI? Gigabyte, ASUS or are they all pretty similar, and which GFX cards to use with them? I am thinking I want to stick with AMD, but I will wait a few months to see which ones seem to fit gaming and my needs better.

Also, with dual gfx capability it seems like I should go back to a CRT monitor which can support a higher res than LCD(1280x1024) right?

*Disclaimer* I graduated with a CS degree, but being a chef ive lost quite a bit of ground in the computer race :)

nap "getting old" ier
:: napier ::

Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:53 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:I was taking a look at the new OS (Vista). As a parent I was happy to see them bundling some parental controls in their new OS. Presently I use a third-party program called ENUFF to regulate my children's computer time. It has really helped! Too bad I don't use it for myself. ;) Actually Dad has been pretty good lately.

TS!
Just make sure your wife doesnt find the controls ;)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi Napier,

As I mentioned before, I would not upgrade a thing at this point. Your CPU is pretty darn good by today's standards and your video card is decent. If you wanted to upgrade anything, maybe your Video card. Is your motherboard using AGP graphics or PCIe?

As far as motherboards go, there are many great choices depending on what you wish to accomplish. I am a huge fan of DFI and ASUS (especially DFI since they are an overclockers dream)

LCD's will work fine for SLI as I only use LCD displays myself.

My suggestion at this time is just to save your money till next year. If you really want to, you could upgrade to a little beter video card.
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:07 pm

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/int ... rformance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good article on SLI and Core comparing motherboards for intel and AMD. Does comparisons with different games, including PF and LOMAC. A good read to think about my future machine :)

:beer:

Post Maniac General

Keep Up Lads!

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Well I hope none of you picked up that Duo Core stuff. I mean that was so last month. ;)

Introducing the upcoming quad-core processor "Kentsfield" - http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/09/previ ... processor/

I wonder how many cores there will be when BOB is finally released? Heck, I wonder if the game will still play well? :D

TS!
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:46 pm

this is depressing all the money im gonna have to spend.

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 pm

I suppose officially this squad is waiting for six cores? You know a six pack! :lol: