Window SP2

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Window SP2

Post by MikeVictor » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:08 pm

Well, my PC had autodate turned on for Windows, so it updated me with SP2 which caused my PC to black screen and I could not even boot up.

So I used the windows XP disc to boot up and reinstalled XP, I went to the internet to get upgrades I needed, and bammm, every know virus in the universe took over my PC. Not sure how that happened, but it also disabled my virus protection. Don't know how it got past the firewall, etc.

But the sad truth is that I need to back up all the data files I want to keep and delete everything on my PC and reinstall everything from the OS on up.....

That means I'll be out of pocket for a bit till I figure out how to get it up and running again without viruses nailing me while I update windows to the point it is secure again.

The problem seems to be that my BIOS is not current enough to support the SP2 update, so I have to fix that before installing windows....

I'm sending this from a PC at my glider club soaring center in southern Pennsylvania. I may be able to reinsall another PC at home for the interim, but it is a dog compared to my game PC. We'll see.

Later amigos,

Mike

ps F!
:D
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:39 pm

MV,
Geez, not good. Don,t forget to virus scan your backup data. Also, it is adviseable to have massive amounts of alcohol on hand to properly reload a hard drive.

Igor
:FI:Igor
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Just posted a warning about this

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Quote:
Windows Autmatic updates is turned on-
your computer may be at risk
Had my recent problem with Virut.A .
On re- format of infected drives was able to back up Data as only .exe files affected.
on re-install of XP I installed Zone Alarm befor re-connecting to the net.
Also AdAware PersonalSE and Spyware Blaster

When I switch boots to host or fly I enable port forwarding.
Browsers will not function on this boot amd windows Firewall is enabled.
When I re-boot to main Internet only drive C: is enabled .
If I do not turn off port forwarding here the whole world is trying to get in , but is blocked by ZA.

So far only apparent problems seem to have been caused by either /or Windows updates/Real Player, unless "memory error" really means MEMORY ERROR. ( and you can take that either way too!)

good luck with that

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Well kiss my A!

Post by MikeVictor » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Thanks amigos,

I am wondering how to prevent another virus from getting to me before I can download/install the verizon internet security suite I have been using and will need to reinstall...but you have to get on the internet before you do that.... I asked them for a CD with the security software on it, but they are not available....

I'll look up the security programs mentioned above, and set up the windows firewall.

Geezzz,

Mike
:D