I´m going to Afghanistan..

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

I´m going to Afghanistan..

Post by Sapper-FIN » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:17 pm

That´s right...

My "Area of operation"-training begins july 27th, and august 14th i´ll get on the plane, that will take me to Kabul.

There was a vacancy in the ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) peacekeeping organization, and i applied for a transfer a couple of weeks ago. Today i got a confirmation that my transfer has been approved.

My job in Afghanistan will be "Liason officer/Signals officer", in a "mobile observation team" (MOT), which is stationed in the city of Aybak, few hundred kilometers north of Kabul. The MOT i´ll be assigned, mostly does vehicle/foot recon patrols around Samangan province... We also help the local authorities and organisations like red cross, to do their jobs... Actually, there are like 10 main tasks that a MOT-team has, but i guess those are the most important ones.

My tour of duty will last one year.

Ok, i know that some of you might think, that "This time, he´s really lost it" ;)

But let me explain the reasons that led me to this...

- The change to make a difference. I mean, that country is really ducked up right now, and i believe that what ISAF does is really important. And i really feel that i could make something that matters, when i´m over there.

- Adventure.. Yeah, that´s maybe the best way to put it... I dont know how to explain it better.

- Experience... For a guy who´s lived in northern Europe for his whole life, a trip to far east will definetly be an exiting experince.

- There´s also a financial aspect in this... My income will more than double, while i´m there.

- Since my 6 year relationship just ended, i see absolutely no reason, that will keep me here in Finland (and no, that´s NOT the main reason, i´m going there.. It would be a Cliché, to travell across the globe because of a broken heart :lol: )

- And this summs up to: Beeing a peacekeeper is just something i´ve always wanted to do.

Oh, and let me just add, that we Finns dont have combat troops in the area, so it´s not like i´m going hunting for Bin Laden :lol: We do carry weapons, but only for self defence.

Sure, it can be dangerous (and it most probably will be), but i might as well be hit by a car, here in Finland (and there´s not too many cars in Afghanistan, so that one thing less to worry about ;) )... Also, Finns have a good reputation in peacekeeping, so i doubt that anyone will purposely attack Finnish peacekeepers.

No,no... this is not a farewell yet.... I´ll still be around for a month or so... I just wanted you guys to know.

S!
Last edited by Sapper-FIN on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Good luck Sapper and take care of yourself.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:40 pm

:-s ^:|
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:44 pm

Wish you all the best on that one Sapper. I'm sure you'll be backk flying with the squad when you get some leave, what with that spanking new rig
sitting at home. ^:|

Would'nt worry about Bin Laden, reckon theres more chance of finding him in Texas if what you read on the net is anything to go by.
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

going to Afghanistan..

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:16 pm

:FI:Sapper-FIN wrote:But let me explain the reasons that led me to this...
Sapper you don't have to explain, sometimes the dirty jobs just have to be done............just keep on your toes
see you when you get back
will you have any computer contact.... just to let us know how it's going when you are "in country"
take care m8
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Ege
Professional Boardie

Post by Ege » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:34 pm

^:|
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:28 pm

Good Luck mate ^:|

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:10 pm

Wow Sapper ... I don't know what to say ...

I'm proud of you bud.

What you'll do there really means something and you'll remember it always as something you had to do and ... frickin' DID it!

Just remember, some of those natives can't tell the difference from a Fin and one of us imperialist Americans, nor may they care, so keep your flippin' head down!

Maybe you can liberate some of the indigenous female population while you're there.

Good luck,

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:45 pm

Good Luck and Be Careful out there! I hope you can do some good.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
fighter_bomber
Boardie

Post by fighter_bomber » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:06 am

As oddball said, you New Yorkers think that a hero is some sort of wierd sandwhich, not a nut who takes on three tigers.
Good Luck. ;)
Made of bad metal and with lots of holes - just like my plane.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:25 am

I agree with Falcon,

Bring yer arse back in one piece! ;)

You are going to a country that has to reach up to meet third world standards. Peacekeeper or no, some of those folks just don't want ANY help.

Watch your butt at ALL times, elsewise, I'll be forced to find wherever the pieces of what is left and kick it for you. :badgrin:

Beuno Suerte, mi Hermano.

Tell us how Afghani beer tastes.. :oops: :p
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Nightcat
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by Nightcat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:51 am

Don't forget to send us pics and keep us posted if possible, if you do kill Bin Laden etch :FI: on his forehead - very good deal Sapper, I'm sure you'll do everybody proud ^:)
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:29 am

Your endeavour is extremely admirable, Sapper! I hope you manage to successfully spread your humanitarian sentiments wherever you go.

Best of luck, mate!
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Why Afghanistan?

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 am

Why you didn´t volunteer to the Foreign Legion, Sapper? :shock:

What you´re already in the Finnish Army? :oops:

Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck for this mission. Take care of yourself and don´t mess up with the opium famers and warlords there. I´ve been told that they´re a nasty bunch of people when you spit in their soup. Beware of any other madmen as well, mate!!!

Good luck, Juha! ^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Dex
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Dex » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:17 pm

All the best of luck Sapper!

^:)