Possible "Europe" HE style campaign session each w

Dates, News and Comments
Skipper
Forum Junky

Possible "Europe" HE style campaign session each w

Post by Skipper » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:38 pm

I was chatting with a few other FI mates from Europe today and earlier this week and we were discussing setting up a weekly campaign (Like HE) but with times that are more suited to those of us who live in Europe.I've always wanted to take part in HE or soemthing like it right from the very start of when I joined the Squadron but unfortuantely RL has always got in the way(I'm not able to stay up so late into the night :( ).This is no fault of Tact who has done a great job with HE because it would be nonsensical to have the guys across the pond starting early just to accomodate their European cousins ;)

Therefore we were wondering if there would be any interest from the FI mates in Europe in participating similar sessions with campaigns spanning several weeks.Sneaky has agreed to host (many thanks to him :) ) so all we need is perhaps a few willing players and some direction from the veterans of this sort of thing (Tact-If you're there and don't mind please do chip in :) )

Initial ideas are:

*Full real settings
*RAF ranks and awards (Ranks just for the session and to help with flight formation etc etc)Perhaps the medals won here could be sewn on the tunics on the front page if no-one minds...
*Many different roles especially in the bomber campaign-Chief Navigator , Squadron Leader , Section Leader , Bombing Leader etc etc
*RAF Fighter Campaign-Thinking the Battle of Britain beacause its Summer and its always nice to relive i.Plus immersion could be immense if we all learn the RAf lingo ;)
*RAF Bomber Campaign-Probably flying the B-25.Long flights over enemy territory with lots of engine maangement and immersion etc etc
*Personal skins for you're A/C

These are just a few preliminary ideas which can be modified.We were originally thinking of perhaps a minimum of atleast 6 members so we could have 3 flights of 3 but it would be nice to have more like 12 as a complement for a full squadron.Perhaps it could be open to non FI members to make the numbers up....

Anyway....this is all up in the air and open for discussion so feel free to dive on in with your ideas :)

Skipper

PS-Very sorry for stealing nearly all your ideas Tact ;)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

Ege
Professional Boardie

Post by Ege » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:27 pm

Sounds interesting Skipper :)

My main problem, is that I cannot always catch what you are saying on TS. Your speech is often like "I *psshhhsshshs* with *psshshsssshhss* yesterday *psshhsshs.*", and sometimes you just speak so fast that I cant make out anything of it. But yep, not so big deal, i can take part in it anyway.

^:)
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:54 pm

"I *psshhhsshshs* with *psshshsssshhss* yesterday *psshhsshs.*",
If it's not someone opening cans of beer(TS sounded like a Greek wedding the other night) :badgrin:

Try checking the Codec you're using in TS ( It should say in window to right of channel list). Or maybe someone had "Voice activation" set and was inadvertently transmitting at the same time.
Ege
Professional Boardie

Post by Ege » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Sneaky, thats actually happening all the time with some of you. One night I had a feeling that Gen was only one whom I could hear clearly. But yep, maybe I check these codecs.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Historic Encounters - The European Adventures

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:03 am

There has only been ONE regret I have ever had with Historic Encounters . . . not being able to offer it to the ENTIRE Squad. So very happy to see you guys considering it too! =D]

Here are my ramblings. Keep what you find useful and throw away the rest mates.

- Keep the decision-making to a very small group of mates. Consult with the group only when needed.

- KISS at least at the beginning guys. Have a vision where you want to take the sessions but your first priority should be to have these sessions on a regular basis. Once you have a base of regulars, a better understanding of both technical and personnel matters, then start adding to the experience.

- Are you planning to also use DCG? Print-out and read Tailspin's good documents concerning this engine.

- Are you also thinking of Normandy? May I suggest initially hosting a smaller map to better determine performance and what not. And maybe host a couple of scenarios before settling into a multi-week situation. During this initial time period there's so much going on that I think in a few weeks later the guys will really apprepriate starting a more lengthy campaign after everyone gets their feet wet.

- Custom skins were a wonderful addon to Historic Encounters. However, I believe the only way to avoid warping and lag is to have everyone download all the skins being used in the session. This can be more complicated when offering personalized skins opposed to a standard custom skin for each plane made available to participants.

Even at our last session my cache had custom skins from folks who either didn't have the skins properly installed or choose to fly with their own skins. Turning them off ensures good server performance and a hassle-free session. If you decide to include them hopefully things will work out better for you guys.

- As a Squad we have certainly progressed with regards to icons. It wasn't that long ago that only a select few had any experience with no icons or even limited ones. You may have noticed that our custom icons have been constantly reduced. Starting this Friday is yet a further refinement of only having a Friendly Name showing 1.0 km. I encourage you guys with whatever the desire of the group.

The only comment I would make is to ensure that you consider what impact, if any, the icon system has with what you want to accomplish. For example teamplay is very important to us, and I believe the icon we use will still help us with our flight and wingman tactics. In time it too may fade away. Will no icons frustrate teamplay or only require additional time until everyone adapts? I do think it is better to start with the icons you hope to use right away, as slowing reducing them may not be as beneficial as it seems.

Notwithstanding, if human participants are going to fly only one side don't forget all the AI pilots don't need to ID planes. If folks are flying both sides then having no icons makes even more sense from a fairness perspective. In any event hopefully folks will be able to coordinate themselves with the use of navigation lights, which I believe is permitted in online wars like EIF.

- External camera is another option I trust has been carefully considered. Personally I prefer them off and yet for a Squad-based experience, especially one where most fly together against AI, I can live with them on. For those who survive most missions this will be seen in a negative light, for those mates who are more often KIA as they learn this game better, will really appreciate having them as spectators. It does make the session more enjoyable, and offers a real opportunity for them to learn as the watch (provided they are not assisting their teammates).

I suppose you guys are going to have a website. :( As mentioned in one of my last posts I intend to provide a weekly stats display (thinking of using SturmoLOG) to give folks feedback on the session. Also I will return to posting debriefings with a display of medals and H.E. awards in these posts. Just hope you guys don't put me to shame. ;) If nothing else keep that German fellow from posting those wonderful pictures of the sessions, especially since we lost our Irish filmmaker. :?

Again, I not only wish you guys the very best in this pursuit, but fully intend to join a session or two. In the meantime would be happy to answer DCG questions and what not.

Regards,
TS!
Post Maniac General

Thanks TacticalS!

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:35 pm

For the advice, support, and the Euro franchise :lol:

HE will always remain your show, but as some of the squad over here dont
keep the same irregular hours as myself, some are not able to join in.

After discussing with Skipper, and after doing some Newsreel research the other day, I have prpared a basic map for a Battle of Britain scenario.
The initial campaign will be a series of coop's, built in FMB ( untill DCG I have installed and fully understood ), and probably one of the stock online campaigns after.

Using Crimea map to represent SE England "Hellfire Corner"

RAF planes will be Hurricane mkB and Spit mkV

Axis will use (mainly) Bf109F's , He111's and Ju87's

The aim will be to have flights of 3
VIC formation take-off's as per the tactics of the day
no icons (all Axis will be AI)
no map icons/path
speed bar on
Views enabled for spectators , but not encouraged for alive pilots.
. . .also there are cameras on this map.

There are Allied 15 planes/slots in this first mission.
The map will be re-drawn for the following session, according to the outcome.( although it could be re-flown as an exercise to hone tactics and strategy, compare Head-on and Beam attack on bombers etc.)

The session can continue with one of the stock IL2 online Campaigns.

and Noter. and anyone else if you want to join for some practice prior to HE starting tonight , just holler

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:18 pm

OK I guess Sneaky. I don't mind you playing with the Euro boys just as long as you always return "home" to us in H.E. Friday (late) nights. ;)

While DCG is a nice generator, and actually rather complex if you look under the hood, nothing can compare to a nicely handcrafted campaign/COOP. If you can keep up with the workload of building the missions then that should be a great experience for folks.

The one thing besides catering to my laziness that I really like about DCG, though admittedly sometimes unreliable, is the in-game stats tracking, promotions and medals. I think the mates really like how the debriefings connect the missions together and everyone loves those medals. :lol:

If I have time tonight I will try to join. Next week I should be able to as I'll be vacationing by that time. 8)

TS!
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for the invite, but I'm probably gonna be late for our own HE over here, but when the opportunity presents itself I'll be there for sure.

Noter
Post Maniac General

Times? dates?

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:30 pm

Nothings set in stone yet, so waiting on some feedback on when to run this without clashing with other squad sessions.

See no reason why we couldn't do a re-run late(GMT time), possibly Saturdays to give our m8's in the Colonies a taste.
Post Maniac General

Re: Times? dates?

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:47 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:Nothings set in stone yet, so waiting on some feedback on when to run this without clashing with other squad sessions.

See no reason why we couldn't do a re-run late(GMT time), possibly Saturdays to give our m8's in the Colonies a taste.
That's grand Sneaky. First priority should be the interested Euro lads. You have a few timezones to deal with. A night and time when most can come and then build from there.

I would tend to think a Friday session would be good for folks who don't have to work weekends. At least I think that helps a little here in N.A. Historic Encounters. Unless it became part of Sunday's activities, Friday or Saturday probably would be the better nights. Saturday might be too close to Sunday, plus the families of the lads might be a little upset that they are flying both weekend evenings/nights. What has the feedback been in any event?

Whatever you guys decide I'll look for the date and time and try to join. Just don't try to cater to both sides of the pond as you will be doing yourself a disservice IMO guys.

TS!
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:58 pm

http://www.perth.igs.net/~long/slang.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suggest you get some practice in with this guys ;)

We're thinking meet about 7.30ish on TS to smooth out problems and make sure everyone is set up and do an hours practice before starting the session.Everyone welcome :)

Skipper

PS-We're going to try out a new system of scoring based on claiming like it was really done but this will (hopefully) be better explained later on TS....see you there mates ;)

PSS-Might be helpful too if you could post on here if you are thinking of joining us.....just so we can get a rough idea of numbers
Winston Churchill

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:30 pm

Did you pick up the new RAF medals over at Airwarfare? I think they would fit right in with what you guys are trying to achieve.
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Yes Tact I've downloaded them a little while ago.I changed the award of the AFC to the CGM though because the AFC was only ever awarded in no war situations.What we'll probably do is just get a picture of the medals off the internet and maybe post and image here on the forums when someoen wins one.Perhaps we could even get the ribbon dewn on the tunic on the front page.Something like that anyways :)

Skipper
Winston Churchill

Post Maniac General

14th July '06

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:12 pm

Have mission ready for those able to make it tonight, say 8:00pm.

scenario is SE England ( on Crimea map ), 1941 semi- historic.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:08 pm

:x

Crap missed it

How it go lads?

Saturday repeat possible?