FIS Ground Attack School:

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

FIS Ground Attack School:

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:43 pm

(I felt different aspects of FIS School deserve their own threads, thus this one. I ask only that discussions here be kept relevent to GA, please. Thanks in advance, as it will help keep the thread pertinent, and reduce clutter.)

I'm putting together an outline of Basic/Advanced GA Training to include all dedicated GA Aircraft. Once done (and as soon as I can determine/comfirm just how much space my ISP gives me) Goat Skies will once again appear in its 3rd iteration to include the Training Outline, Maps, Missions, Announcements of Training Sessions and free rutabagas to enjoy with your children. :)

I'll post my proto-outline soon to allow for suggested additions/deletions before finalizing it. All suggestions will be appreciated.

A preliminary idea for maps is the Online3 Summer although I am open to suggestion. This particular map includes almost all terrain types, except desert, alpine, and really "open" sea. The intent is to include some very "open" maps (ie with minimum landmarks) to hone Nav skills as well as Tactical Planning.

I am requesting suggestions for an additional two or three maps that would allow for Advanced Navigational and Tactical Training. If you feel it is conducive to a specific aspect of GA, please state why, as I will not include maps just because they are "cool" or "my favorite".

I'm looking for a good balance between Summer/Winter and Land/Sea.

Thanks, M8s!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Re: FIS Ground Attack School:

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 pm

"free rutabagas to enjoy with your children" :yumyum:

Sounds great Helo! That's a great map performance wise. And as you may recall, I built a mission way back where we flew IL-2s through a back valley to sneak up on a German's ship convoy. As you said lots of interesting features on that map.

My technical suggestion is to use Respawn instead of lots of targets. You can have say 5 ships that respawn continuously during the mission instead of 30 ships hitting the framerate.

^:)
Post Maniac General

Agreed!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:11 pm

The map, though feature-rich, is quite large.

Too many targets on one map have repeatedly demonstrated how badly the framerate can be affected.
My solution is to include very limited targets on any one of that map, and create a new map with different targets as training requires (ie one with parked vehicles/aircraft, another with a stationary convoy, and so on).

All maps will need to be DF-type to allow for re-spawning of players, and respawning of targets will mean everybody gets a chance to screw up. ;)
Post Maniac General

Preliminary GA Curriculum

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:18 am

Ground Attack Training:

Preliminary DF Server Set-up (all participants):
1. Pilot Selection: You may use your :FI: Pilot Name or :FI: Number as you wish.
2. The Instructor, prior to class, will decide which Training Aircraft will be used. One aircraft per class and all participants will use the aircraft/skins/loadouts designated by the Instructor. (Use of one aircraft per class will help avoid confusion between charactistics and loadouts.)
3. The Instructor will conduct the Class Briefing/De-briefing.
4. Classes will be repeated as needed.

Pt 1 - Basic & Advanced Familiarization

Basic Aircraft Familiarization:
1. Necessary Key Bindings
2. Aircraft Features/Cockpit familiarization
3. Ground Handling and Pre-Takeoff Procedures
4. Takeoff, Flight Handling, and Landing the aircraft.

Advanced Aircraft Familiarization:
1. Available Loadouts
2. Available Guns/Rockets
3. Recommended Loadouts

Pt 2 - Gunnery

Setting Convergences/Delays:
1. Machine Gun/Cannon/Rocket Convergences
2. Rocket Delays
3. Bomb Delays

Gunnery Skills:
1. Machine Guns/ Cannon/ Rockets
2. Tips to Increase Your Effectiveness

Pt 3 - Bombing
Ordinance Familiarization:
Learning the Various Types of Available Ordinance
Setting Delays:
Recommended Delay Settings for Different Scenarios
Dive-, Loft-, and Skip-Bombing with HE:
Effective Use of Common Techniques
Torpedoes:
Aiming and Release Points
Use of Specialty Ordinance:
Familiarization and Recommended Use of Cluster/Fragmentation, Napalm, Armor-Piercing, Parafrag, and Thermite/Phosphorous

Pt 4 - Pre-Mission Planning

Target Considerations:
Target Type and Physical Hardness to Determine Ordinance Used

Required Aircraft:
Required Type and Quantity of Aircraft Required to in order to Complete the Mission using the Ordinance Required

Flight Plan:
Planning and Using the Most Advantageous Route(s) for Ingress/Egress

Radio Protocol:
Effective Use of Comms Specific to the Mission to Reduce Chatter and Provide Clear Communications

Pt 5 - In-Mission Planning

Order of Attack:
Coordinating Aircraft to Maximize Results and Reduce Casualties

Defensive Formations/Evasive Maneuvers:
- Utilization of Various Formations During Ingress/Egress to Provide Maximum Protection
- Evading Enemy Fire

Pt. 6 - Mission De-Briefing (OPTIONAL)

This is a start, so all suggestions are welcome. :)
Last edited by :FI:Heloego on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

Post by Airhawk14 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:52 am

Sounds Good.

"When you risk it all, the sky is the limit."Quote from Motion Picture "Flyboys".
Post Maniac General

Anyone have anything to add?

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:27 am

Please add your comments/suggestions, if any, soon, as testing will be conducted during the next several days.

My first thought re scheduled instruction would be to hold the class during the hour prior to the normal Sunday Session. This would allow one instructor to serve both sides of the pond at once.

However, due to time disparities between the US and Euro members (and personal schedules) it may be best to have separate and/or multiple instructors for each section. If this would work best will interested parties please chime in and we can determine who should be the instructor(s) for the Euro and North American sections.
Should this be the decided way to hold classes, the Euroinstructor(s) and N.A. instructors can get together to hammer out a consistant curriculum.

Any thoughts on this?

...Any thoughts at all? ;)
Airhawk14
Professional Boardie

Post by Airhawk14 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:27 am

I think it is a great idea. :)

I was wondering if there is an official flight school plan/schedule.

"When you risk it all, the sky is the limit."Quote from Motion Picture "Flyboys".
Post Maniac General

To my knowledge...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 am

...a Curricular Order has not been established.

Anyone?
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: To my knowledge...

Post by :FI:Genosse » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:52 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:...a Curricular Order has not been established.

Anyone?
Dan, you´re the man for GA. So you´ve to set up a curricular order for your lessons. I´m not that far in Weiner flight school so I have no idea what to teach in which order. But after all I read it makes sense what you wrote there. Let´s try it this way ... you can always can make changes if necessary.

BTW, I´ll be there to your lessons. As a student, of course! ;)

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Banzi Bomber Needs Instruction

Post by MikeVictor » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:20 pm

Preciate it Dan,

Would like to participate, my bombing sucks unless I use the kamakasi method of bomb delivery. I'm willing to teach that is you like.

Mike
:D
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:38 pm

Gonna agree with the prospect of different sessions for the Euro and NA members, I think the time difference might be a bit much for most to overcome. I am really looking forward to it, but doubt very much if I could make any of the Euro times.

Noter
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Well if you like we can nix the idea of a dogfight server for public use and I can just set up the server so that it can be remotely administered with the maps you want to use. It does not seem that so many people are logging into the server anyways, so might as well put it to good use.
Post Maniac General

Hmmm...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:17 am

Frank, I was referring to a FIS General Curriculum. Sorry, I should have been more specific. :oops:
I'm re-thinking the GA format. Ideas are to reduce the # of aircraft to a bare minimum to facilitate classes, and maybe leave out some of the really basic stuff like ground handling (unless it's needed).

Dr S, Now that I've achieved that nirvana that only occured when I found out my machine can host I'll give it a good shot from my end first. In the event I can't accomodate 4 students per session, or in the likely event I'll need to format rest assured I'll take you up on your generous offer.
Another option is to have two instructors this side of the pond. :)

I feel it necessary to point out that my classes will be for GA Close Support only.
While I have delved into the occasional Level Bombing Scenario (and failed miserably, I might add :lol: ) I find the bombsight much too confining, and prefer someone else take the lead for that course, if there will be one.

MV, thanks for the offer! Another instructor would be great! If we do it this way I would be happy to share the missions I am currently building among all GA Instructors and will gladly accept from others to keep the training consistent among the groups.
Post Maniac General

First Course is July 21!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:21 am

I've completed the first course of Close Support Training. And while it is limited to Gunnery only, I feel it offers a good way to kick off the training.

This first session will be held Friday, July 21, at 6:00 PM, CDT, 1 hour prior to the regular Historical Encounters session. If HE is delayed or cancelled, class can continue for those who wish.
6:00 PM CDT is 9:00 Atlantic and much later for those living on land masses further East.

Since the sessions will be limited to 4 students, it will have to be on a "first come, first served" basis.

I encourage those who also wish to instruct to try to attend.

Friday! BE there!

:D

Maybe tomorrow if anyone is still around after I get home from work.
:FI:Cider
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Cider » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:10 pm

tragedy. i'd really like to join the ground-attack course, but:

- on July 15th there`s my missus and mine anniversary

- but we shifted the "celebrations" to July 21st to July 23rd.

- and I think there's no way to include a PC to the festivities....

good luck & have fun!

:FI:Cider
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off.