FIS Ground Attack School:

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Whoa!

Anniversary celebration for three days?!

You dah man Cider!!

I hope someone is looking after the kids.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Poor Cider!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:55 pm

;)

After three days you'll definitely need a break. :D

About the lack of PC...
and I think there's no way to include a PC to the festivities....

Do you have a very long power cord? :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

July 21st...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 am

...Basic Close Support Training begins 1 hour before Historic Encounters!

Part One: Basic Aircraft Familiarization
...Brief discussion of key bindings,
...Aircraft Features/Ground Handling/Takeoff, Flying,and Landing
...Gunnery Training

I've decided to use the Il-2 as the basic Close Support Trainer. It can be a pig, but once airborne it handles well and is a very stable gun platform. Single-Engine, and a good intro vehicle. We will use the Il-2 1941 and Il-2M (first series).

The following image is of the Gunnery Range.
The Red Arrows indicate the different Exercise Areas, each denoted by 1-5 campfire clusters (One cluster = Area 1, Two clusters = Area 2, etc).
...Area 1: Soft Single Targets (use MGs)
...Area 2: Hard Single Targets (use Cannon/Rockets)
...Area 3: Columns of Soft Targets (Mgs)
...Area 4: Columns of Hard Targets (Cannon/Rockets)
...Area 5: Column of Soft Targets rounding a bend (Mgs/Cannon/Rockets

An additional area with AAA has been set aside for a Test. :)

Thanks for the suggestions and input Falcon and Sneaky!

^:)
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Looking very excellent. Since I cannot make these sessions due to time issues, would it be possible for you to make available the training map for private use? A trk of the session might be nice also so those who wish to train alone can try to follow your instructions.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Time issues

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Perhaps Doc. and anyone else with time issues could make it known when they are available for a session.

Hopefully there would then be someone who has at least taken part in the course could take them through it with the instructors notes.

If any form of grading is required an ntrk recording could be made of the session. :idea:
:FI:Cider
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Cider » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:51 pm

Helo,

I think my powercord might be just long enough, thank you ;)

no more powercord-jokes, please.ahem.

:FI:Ci"well it IS 50 Miles from home"der

[/i]
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:57 pm

I'm hopin' to make it for Friday's training. I have not had any of the other training offered yet, will this be ok?

Noter
Post Maniac General

Friday Evening/Early Morn Session

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:17 am

Last nights class went well, for a first class, and thanks to all for teaching me the following:
a) more than four participants impinges on the instruction through frame rate loss and repetition of instruction;
b) "unlimited ammo" was a bad idea; and
c) some people came just to screw around.

Gunnery skills covered were Attack of Single and Multiple Soft and Hard Targets, Single and Multiple Soft and Hard Columns, and some Attack Coordination practice. Additionally, a Combined Column of Hard Targets with Support Vehicles and AAA used as a test demonstrated the effectiveness of teamwork.
I did not keep track of all that attended. Will those other than Sneaky and NightCat who attended and actually are seriously interested in the Close Support Role please let me know so I can complete a Roster.
Thanks for all who actually came for the training. ^:) :beer:

As Sneaky and NightCat will agree, the Close Support Role is "a whole different animal" from the Interceptor role. The same rules do not apply to both camps. There is an art to Close Support just as there is to Dogfighting, and the two do not mix well.

That said, I do think it important to lay some ground rules for future Close Support Training Sessions to prevent delays, confusion, or devolving into a melee.

Ground Rules for the Close Support Training Sessions:

1. All Close Support Training Sessions will be strictly limited to a maximum of four (4) participants, to include the instructor. This will allow for only 3 students during any given Session and is limited to :FI: members only. External View and Speedbar will be enabled as aids to training.
2. Those wishing to perticipate in future scheduled Session(s) must ENROLL by sending me a PM in advance of the Session(s).
3. All participants will be accepted on a "First Come...First Served" basis. No exceptions.
4. Members accepted for the up-coming Session will be announced via this Forum in advance to allow for necessary changes in Roll in the event RL prevents an acceptee from attending or there is room for a 2nd and/or third acceptee. It is expected that should any acceptee be unable to attend, that acceptee will notify me at the earliest convenience so I am able to notify the next in line that he/she may attend.
5. All sessions will be Password Protected. The password and IP addie will be issued immediately prior to the Session, which, once begun, will remain closed until time or completion ends the instruction.
6. Once begun, training will continue to completion (ie through Advanced) before the next group begins.
7. All sessions will have limited ammo. Period. The purpose of Training is to learn to use what you have to maximum effect. Unlimited ammo will teach you nothing.
8. Any acceptee/participant showing a disinterest in the training or deviating from the training during any session will be asked to leave.

I do not think it unreasonable to lay these ground rules. Those of us that take more than a passing interest in the Close Support role and want no disruptions to the classes will not find them confining or feel restricted in any way.
They help improve the flow of instruction and, time permitting, perhaps the class can advance to the next step that much sooner.
For those who don't or can't make the first group, please be patient. Time and scheduling may permit me to conduct more than one session per week.

Thank You! ^:)
Post Maniac General

Last night was fun!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:40 am

Basic Bombing Techniques.

Loft Bombing: I tried to show NC and Sneaky how horribly inaccurate is.
They both kicked target arse. :D

Dive Bombing: Both did quite well, destroying all assigned targets in an industrial area! :D

Skip Bombing: Sub Pens w/active AAA. They did better than me! :D

I think we have a couple of killers on our hands!!!

No class this next Wednesday, but still on for Friday!

;)
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:53 am

can us dogfighters give it a whirl? :D
:: napier ::

Post Maniac General

Hell yes!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:09 am

But, again, classes are still limited to 3 Students plus Instructor at this time.

The first class is about half finished (or is it "half full" ;) ), so I expect room for new students in 2-3 weeks. It will be announced here.
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 am

id love for someone to teach me the ways of level bombing. I know its up to me to master, thought all the guidance I could get would be much appreciated!! :D

I remember level bombing in the game "B-17" about 10 years back and Id like to try that again.
:: napier ::

Post Maniac General

Ok, Boys and Girls!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:35 am

A) As mentione dearlier, the next Class is expected to start in about 2 weeks.

But before then I ask for input to the following questions:

1. Due to HE starting an hour earlier, would scheduling the GA Classes an hour earlier put a crimp in anyone's scheduling?

2. As an alternative, would it be more feasable if I changed the day of classes to prevent possible conflicts of HE and personal schedules?

B) Re-building of Goat Skies is well on track and I hope to have it back up in a day or two or three. I finally (accidentally) located my original "Save" on CD done shortly after uploading it last year, and after I do a bit of tweaking, and finally include a bit of CoD info I'll get it it back online.
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Re: Ok, Boys and Girls!

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Changing time might work better for me, having another day that i'm fying on the computer might start ww3 at me house right now :?
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Re: Ok, Boys and Girls!

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 am

:FI:Heloego wrote:A) As mentione dearlier, the next Class is expected to start in about 2 weeks.
Cool! How does one "sign up"?
1. Due to HE starting an hour earlier, would scheduling the GA Classes an hour earlier put a crimp in anyone's scheduling?
What time would that make it? (sorry if this has been covered in earlier classes)
2. As an alternative, would it be more feasable if I changed the day of classes to prevent possible conflicts of HE and personal schedules?
Dependant on the day (and class availability), of course. (again, my apologies if this has already been covered.)

B) Re-building of Goat Skies is well on track and I hope to have it back up in a day or two or three. I finally (accidentally) located my original "Save" on CD done shortly after uploading it last year, and after I do a bit of tweaking, and finally include a bit of CoD info I'll get it it back online.
Cool! I remember Goat Skies... very informative stuff!

We're to the point now that I think we almost have a schedule, which should mean a little bit of time for me to do the things I enjoy. So I'm dusting off the joystick (literally) and checking the boards and I thought I'd see what was what in the squadron.

If I'm too late to get in the next class, that's OK. I'll try to make the next one.

Take it easy all.

Snaph~
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.