What makes a good Dogfight Server?

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:17 am

In your opinion(s), what do you consider to be features of a great Dogfight server?

Examples of places you frequent and why would be great! Also, if there is something you wish were out there regarding a Dogfight server, please also give that information.

Any links, progams, websites, etc please.
Last edited by :FI:Dr_Strangelove on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:58 am

Personally I find the answer to that question changes with my mood.

The pit on servers vary quite a bit. Some are just in-air spawn furballs with little or no tactics just instant engaging, others are more like Historical Co-op missions with long flight times and targets to achieve.

At different times I find them all enjoyable more or less. If I'm on HL page me and I can go through the ones I know with you.
:FI:Mikester
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Mikester » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:09 am

I also enjoy most dog fight servers, I do tend to fly no take off servers. I enjoy these more as you get straight into the action. I also like to fly 1 V 1 fights at least twice per week to keep my flying and shooting sharpe!! At the same time If I do 2 much madness fighting, going on a co-op can be more relaxing/enjoyable.

*What makes a good gog fight server*

*connection! (no lag)

*good players (not over shoulder shooters)

*map (not 2 big not 2 small)

*plane set (= planes each side)

*Team work (if you fly as a pair/team you get more satisfaction)

*good map rotation

This is the kind of stuff I look for.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Excellent input so far! This is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for.

So it seems that DF servers are for the most part flown depending on mood at the time. So then how come certain servers are so full all the time?

If a server was to go up today, how would one assure traffic to it?
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Even the most popular servers get cleaned out of players at times.

Some like Warclouds and Spits v 109, Zekes v Wildcat have people who fly in them pretty exclusively. But those servers took a hit when Winds of War server opened. But that too has seen some fall-off now in numbers.

Just trends in popularity I guess.

When I started flying GreaterGreen was a favourite. It has all but disappeared now. The host changed his server to a less powerful one. They altered some popular maps and bingo player exodus!

fickle lot.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:57 pm

only snag with warclouds is that they Kick players with":" in username, allegedly " the : symbol makes it difficult to kick players that may wish to cause trouble". I think this refers to script abuses, trolls or cheats ( maybe theyre just scared of the Fighting Irish). Did fly on warclouds in the past,( thought I'd upset them) :badgrin:

Uk dedicated aint bad, although ground traffic control is every man for himself- its worse than Hyde Park Corner!

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:11 pm

I like:

having to takeoff and land,

having axis and allied sides,

having a server full of gentlemen,

who can't fly or shoot very well,

and the square island map with the mountains and the lake in the middle.

If a server were to go up today, how would one assure traffic to it?
Give away money or sex to each participant.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac General

Lag

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:29 pm

winds of war declares its lag free , but they had issues with fire from ships freezing the game on one map (great map though).

Setting a slower ROF and placing a sleep period to disable firing for AAA/Ships ,but keeping the objects for thier kill value
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:40 pm

Ok so far we hav Sex, Money, and free beer to get a server off the ground. :)

Anyways, you guys are probably asking yourselves "Why does he care?" Well it is simple....

After our session last night I set up a server and it is ready and functional with 4.05m as well as HyperLobby but there are no missions for it, nor do I have any clue what to run on it. There are some cool programs like FBDaemon and IL2COmmander that seem to auto-gen missions and such. There is als FBstats, which would be cool to show some server statistics.

Does anyone have any recent experience or happen to have access to some missions to set up on this server?

Oh and is the Fighting Irish interested in having their own offical Dogfight/Historic Mission server complete with stats etc.? Might be a great meeting place during the week and when trying to warm up for CO-Ops. Also, if there are pilots left behind due to space issues, like yesterday, they would have some place to go while they wait for the next co-op.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:18 pm

I opened a Dogfight between crashes and the next coop for anyone to backdoor. Probably a good idea to run Flight school map while coops are on .Full house and lots of new people.

Did some interesting stuff with Nightcat in the early hours-thunderstorms-carriers-barnstorming- and just low down inverted
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:56 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience or happen to have access to some missions to set up on this server?
Snoop was our first server provider with revolving maps and such.

Sadly Snoop is ~snif!~ no longer wiff us.

Yeah well, he's alive and still a member an' all,

but he's

!! duh duh dah bummmm !!

married now.

!!

Let's go see if he's home!

~knock-knock-knock~

Oh Mrs. Baron?!

Can Snoopy come out an' play?!

Fal "in for it" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:06 pm

LOL @ Falcon. Being married does not mean you have no freedom, it just means the only freedom you have is the one that your wife allows you :P.

Anyways, I am up for hosting it if you will fly it. The server would be in Florida so I guess this would work nicely for our friends across the pond as well.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:18 pm

Your question is somewhat open-ended mate. If strictly talking about DF server, and not an automated COOP server (which apparently some chaps have finally figured out how to run without hosting), then you have two choices: non-scripted and scripted.

All popular servers are scripted using one of the two mentioned programs. My only experience has been with Greatergreen's FBDaemon II. Snoop's server used FBD (original) with stats tracking (another plug in available from Greatergreen).

This program, however, doesn't generate missions. You must create them and then script them to work. The scripting is done in "briefing" area (it remains hidden from the participant). You must also run IL-2 in the server mode, though it will work with a host playing (that's how I use to do it).

Now as mentioned some folks have apparently started auto-generating coop/campaign missions as standalone servers. I have no experience with this stuff. DCG can be generate dogfight, COOP, and campaign missions too. Lots of things out there mate. You should post this question over at SimHQ.

Regards,
TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:44 pm

Ok I will post over at SimHQ and see if anything comes of it. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming though guys.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:28 am

Not a DF server afficianado by any means but I'll give my 2 cents anyway. Some of the things I would like to see in a dedicated FI server (I guess not a true DF server). I tend to fly late at night when most are asleep, so I'm usually by myself, and not a fan of getting on DF servers and getting my a$$ handed to me. Yeah I could use the practice, but I'm more into flying with my squad mates than some individual practice with people I don't know, but that's me.

So I would like a place to go and practice some landings without fear of getting vulched, have some planes flying in a pattern over the field for formation practice or some target practice (make them invulnerable). Some ground and shipping targets. Maybe a carrier roving off the coast for some traps. Some barnstorming stuff. In essence an FI base (which would be nice for the future training) where I know I can go and see if some others are up or I can be there doing my thing and others can see. I can do most of this stuff offline as practice I know, but I like the possiblility of hooking up some of the FI guys should they happen to be up very late or very early. Probably kinda boring for some, but hey it's my two cents I'll spend it as I like. ;)

Noter