Your ideas for FIS Flight School

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:24 pm

Thanks Helo.I think this Flight school could really get of the ground(good joke eh?) ;) :)

That's brilliant work Sneaky!Keep the designs coming folks!

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Thought it was touch and go at first

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:30 pm

:badgrin:
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Navigation lesson at Weiner school

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Folks!

Yesterday evening I had another flight lesson at Weiner flight school. This lesson´s topic: "Navigation And Blind Flying". I´d like to give you a report of this three and a half hours lasting lesson where 10 students were led by two instructors (note to all: we should keep the amount of students limited on four per lesson!).

First of all we all started and followed the flight leader after we were taught one hour of theory (!!! - remember, we were 10 more or less talented students) about using the set square (geometric triangle) and non-permanent pencil on the shrink-wrapped map of Smolensk.

In this first exercise we should had been able to recognise the grids we were in due to special land marks the instructor gave to us. It was a bit tricky because we needed to stay in some sort of formation flight while doing the id work on the landscape. After this we all (mass-) landed at the final airfield ... ordered and without crashing ... besides me, of course! :p

In the second flight we were ordered to different airfields on the Smolensk map. Once there arrived the instrctors gave us a destination airfield in a special grid. Our job was to calculate the distance and course to this airfield that we had to reach. After all calculation were done we took off, headed to there and landed properly. Quite simple, uh? :-k

Finally we came to the top exercise of this evening: blind flying in crappy weather in the middle of the night. Same steps as before to consider:
  • - calculate the distance
    - calculate the course
    - calculate the approximate flight duration
Once set and done all we needed to do was to get up onto the stormy runway which was quite tricky because of the bloody winds. We were suggested to climb up to 3000m over airfield before we started our blind flight towards the Orsha airfield at a heading of 160° and a speed of 250 kph (IAS). Due to always changing flight parameters I decided myself to go below clouds a bit earlier then calculated (< 9 mins) and ... luckily there it was: my destination airfiled at Orsha!!! Now I call myself now a lucky Weiner ... ;)

After all I´ve to admit that I definitely need more training on my naviagtion skills. Let´s see what kind of navigation lessons we can put together! :D

Cya later, says Weiner-Frank! ;) ^:)
Last edited by :FI:Genosse on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Looks excellent Gen. . well done . .
. .but
Bling Flying
does that mean you all got to wear lots of medals :badgrin:

:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:54 pm

:FI:Sneaky_Russian wrote:Looks excellent Gen. .
. .but
Bling Flying
does that mean you all got to wear lots of medals :badgrin:

That and all the planes are riding on 20" DUBBS and the squad is called the Long Beach Axiz KiLaZ!

Seriously though, this looks really promising. I remember flying in the past in terrible weather and having a heck of a time finding targets since it was always blowing me off course. Navigation is a very valuable lesson.[/img]
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah the good stuff about using timings is that you can put less empahsis on landmarks which are more difficult to spot in the dark or in bad weather.
Winston Churchill

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Looks as though JFS really has...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:37 am

...a well-planned Nav Course!

That weather thingie can really mess you up.

I hope our Nav Course is as thorough. :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

New Navigation technique

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:14 am

There was a pilot flying a small single engine charter plane, with a couple of very important executives on board. He was coming into the Seattle airport through thick fog with less than 10 miles visibility when his instruments went out.

He began circling around looking for a landmark. Finally, a small opening in the fog appears and he sees a tall building with a guy working alone on the fifth floor. He banks the plane around, rolls down the window and shouts to the guy, "Hey where am I?"

The man replies, "You're in an airplane." The pilot rolls up the window, executes a 275 degree turn and proceeds to perform a perfect blind landing on the airport runway 5 miles away.
Just as the plane stops, so does the engine as the fuel has run out. The passengers are amazed and one asks how he did it.

"Quite easy," replies the pilot, "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100 percent correct but absolutely useless, therefore, that must be Microsoft's support office and from there the airport is just five miles due East."
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Winston Churchill

Flynn
Boardie

Post by Flynn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:22 pm

:lol:
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:17 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ege
Professional Boardie

Post by Ege » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:58 am

Has anyone read this? http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:23 am

Ege wrote:Has anyone read this? http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Naw, not yet! Nice finding, mate ... :)

I like these ones:

One pass, haul ass.
YOU and you alone are responsible for your six o’clock. Never expect a six call and you
won’t miss the one you never got.
Don’t be shy to wallop the enemy with more than is required to down him.
If you take a hit, take it as a hint to return to base immediately.
Don’t assume anything.
Greed kills.
Fly gently, kill swiftly.
Don’t play with your food.
Live to fly, fly to live.

Ty for sharing, Ege! :D

^:)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac General

Good Morning!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:53 pm

Thanks, Frank, for Making FIS Flight School a Forum!

There certainly is enough interest to justify it. :D

Ege, that's a good find. I Dl'd it and saved to the HD for later reading. :D
Post Maniac General

Response to PM's

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:31 am

During the :FI: Duxford Occasion last year the question of what direction the FIS would take was put to the group. I believe it was tendered because as a Squadron we had matured considerably over the past few years, and many of us had tired of the constant DF and were looking for something more substantial.

The suggestion that Squadron Regimentation be implemented has been brought up on several occasions and has always been discarded for good reason: We fly when and where we wish, but maintain courtesy wherever we fly. Thus the only mandatory rule(s) has been the posted :FI: Rules of Conduct and so it should remain.

While I don't believe it should ever be mandatory for any member to take any of the training, I do think that as a matter of simple courtesy (and common sense) any who decide to take any of the advanced courses should take the basics first, or demonstrate at least minimal proficiency of said basics.

For those new to flight the simple courtesy of taking the basics first would allow for better flow in the advanced courses and prevent frustration of the other class members due to setbacks caused by inexperienced. What good would it do the class if a member who hasn't mastered basic flight keeps crashing on T/O during a Coop requiring several re-starts before the class can even properly begin? The training sessions I have in mind will be Coops, and constant re-starts will greatly degrade the value of the classes. The purpose of GA training is not to teach or provide practice in the basics of flight, but to enhance the GA/Close Support experience.

(A very good example is the first iteration of Historic Encounters.
H.E. required that all participants download and install specific files [/i]prior to joining any of the sessions. Additionally, certain requirements were specified for the setup and use of TS. These requirements greatly enhanced the performance of the game and immersion factor of the sessions. To my knowledge there were and are no complaints, and all who participate(d) recognize the importance of those very few rules.)

Based on observations from others I don't see a need for GA participants to be versed in ATC practices or Full Real Navigation before joining the GA course, but please at least be able to get a plane off the ground.

;)