Your ideas for FIS Flight School

Announcements, Dates, FAQs
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:43 pm

I would be very interested to jump onboard with any of these training sessions. I would love to learn and practice all the ins and outs the game has to offer.

One point I wanted to make on some of the complaints about formation flying practice and all that jazz:

"Just because you are in the NBA does not mean you stop practicing Free-Throws"
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:03 am

I think online squad training is always a great idea :D I just wanted to second Tactical's point on reading. It really does help a lot and there are many good websites, PDFs, posts, etc. that will definetly help. I also highly recommend practice sessions in the quick mission builder, watching tracks from other pilots. Those are the things you can do on your own which means you can spend as much time on them as you have available and when you do practice online with the squad you will get more out of it.

s!
Snoop
ps. I have some new training missions on the works for a future HE training session :D It's something totaly new :D
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:19 am

If the times are feasable I would like to take the dogfighting and 262 courses, maybe a couple more. It all looks good.

Thanks for putting the work into this chaps

S~
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:13 pm

I am interested in the first lesson to the last. Plus I have been following Snoop's advice and read and reread quite often, but still feel lacking in my implementaion of what I have read, hence the desire for the actual training and critique of my performance (wow that's borderline eloquent :lol: ).

Noter
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Genosse » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:Chapter 3 - Specialized Training? Come on Genosse and start this already. You guys discuss things more than me. :shock: :D

Looks great gentleman (I use the term loosely of course). Just make sure the instructors are available for all time zones, please! [-o<

TS!
My dear TacticalS!

I think that´s the point I´m hesitating a bit since there hasn´t been many amongst our wee community volunteering for being an instructor. I could give it a go and give the first lesson but what about the rest of the schedule? I don´t like to offer a rag rug to you ...

So where are the volunteers? You don´t need to be a perfect well educated and eloquent pilot. Pick up a point out of the schedule of which you think you´re doing pretty good and be our instructor! C'mon, folks!

:p
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:18 pm

I could do the ATC thing. If any members ... or non-members want to take the "Basics" course or whatever and have a session of learning more about taxiing, take-offs, landings, navigaton, etc, I could be there to assist in proper radio procedures.

I could also assist in the basic maneuvers part too. Flying real stuff and IL2 stuff is a wee bit different, but I could help there.

I'll hazard a time ... how about one o'clock CT on Sundays, about an hour before co-ops and df's start? Actually, if you guys set up a good "Basics" course, I'll do my best to be there anytime.

Falcon
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Assuming there will be instructors overseas, would you consider a training session in the evening our time mate? Depending on who is interested we can work out a specific schedule for the session(s).

Personally I would prefer a non-weekend time. Any session on/after 9:00 p.m. (Atlantic) weekdays would be fine (except Fridays of course). Wednesdays were our old Training day when SnoopBaron hosted. Saturday evening could be another real possibility. My flexibility increases depending on the how long the session(s) would last.

Very interested. Thanks for volunteering. ^:)
I wonder when he will host ALL the other training modules?

TS!
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Obvious Interest Being Shown

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:38 am

It appears we have a vote of confidence for the Training Sessions.

And yes, the Carrier Ops would actually be incorporated into the Advanced Training. (Even Navy Pilots don't get it until they've at least had the basics.)

As stated, much of the training can be obtained through reading, and practice on- and off-line.

For those who want the training for fun and profit, please remember that setting up the map(s), curriculum, and times of training won't happen overnight.
For example, I have just started my 7-day "Hitch" (workweek) and expect it to be a series of very long days, so the map and curriculum I've been working on for GA will have to take a back seat to RL until next Wednesday eve (Bar opens at 6:00pm Mountain Time!). Once started I will give classes only during my "break" (7 days off), first class to be announced well in advance to allow for scheduling adjustments.

For GA, at least, I expect it to be a full 2-3 weeks before I can schedule the first class. This will be necessary to allow time for everything mentioned above.

The process could be speeded up a bit if those interested would be willing to donate a small amount of their time creating very simple Training Missions each with very specific goals (ie, Takeoffs/Landings and/or Gunnery.)

The more input we get, the more enjoyable it will be for all of us.

Thanks, m8s!
:)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:10 am

It would be nice that any map made would have:

- a wide, long runway

- oriented north-south or east-west

- taxi ways clearly discerned

- out-of-cockpit views enabled

- if possible a pov just about the tower.

Basic training on the ground, in the traffic pattern and in the airport environment needs plenty of views. There are specific takeoff, climbout, cruise, maneuver, descent, approach and landing speeds to maintain. Specific bank angles, configurations, headings and attitudes need to be monitored too.

Dumb question? Can you get into another pilot's cockpit?

Is someone already building a primary training syllabus? If so I could draw diagrams and get some training links together.

One thing ... good basic training is hard and frustating at times. It's still a load of fun, but be prepared for being quite busy in the cockpit.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Dutchman
The Unforseeable

sign in

Post by :FI:Dutchman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:35 am

Well i can be usefull as a:

"Crashtest Dutchie"

and do my :
"kamikaze bombing technicque"
"rocket from the Sky landing"
"runway destroying ditch-off"
''up-side-down bombing"
"Torpedo landsliding"
"Aqua-roll-landing"
and last but not least the:
"blow-up takoff" and try to be
"faster than the canopy jump-off"

now serious, i really like to be in a flights-cool with buddies.

will be fun and if we all fly better and with the same FIS technicques than
we all have some profit from it ??

I'am in.

Cadet "Crashtest Dutchie" reporting for duty.

Dutch..,

ImageImageImage
Better loose one minute in your life, than loose your life in one minute...
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:57 pm

I wouldn't mind doing a navigation course if anyones interested....

Could be done by working out distances with the D=SxT equation and by looking for land marks. It could get more difficult by changing the scenario to night time , or bad weather conditions etc etc.

The final "exam" could be a mix of navigating in a B-25 while setting up the bombsight and hitting the target.(I dunno if the Pilot and Bombadier are seperate but if not and the person just wanted to navigate they could atke the Nose gunner slot and navigate from there directing the pilot)

Obviosuly on harder maps the navigator could be given maps to study prior to the lesson with flak hot spots etc etc that they would ahve to avoid.

I assume most of you can probably navigate fine anyways so this mgiht not be neccessary.

Anyway...let me knw what you guys think

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Ackshully...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:47 am

...a Nav Course couldn't hurt.

Me. :oops:
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Fine!

Post by :FI:Genosse » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:00 am

Sounds good to me, mates. So there´re following volunteers who like to to be an instructors
  • Falcon for Air Traffic Control
    Heloego for Ground Assault
    Skipper for Navigation
Maybe we can get more mates involved in the Flight School (FS)?

Yesterday I had a lesson in Behaviour In Exceptional Situations in the Weiner school and I´m going to take my next one in Navigation. Let´s see how much input I can get for our own project.

Hang on, folks! It´ll take it´s time but we´re still working on it ... ;)
Last edited by :FI:Genosse on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Skipper
Forum Junky

Re: Fine!

Post by Skipper » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:55 pm

:FI:Genosse wrote: I´m going to take my next one in Navigation. Let´s see how much input I can get for our own project.
I'd be grateful of any sort of help....perhaps if you get good at Weiner school you could help ;)

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

fighter_bomber
Boardie

Post by fighter_bomber » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:12 pm

guess what role i wanna be in...
Made of bad metal and with lots of holes - just like my plane.