Next Grand Campaign Folks?

Dates, News and Comments

Interested in Any of These DCG Campaigns?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:16 pm

Spanish Civil War (1936-39)
20%
China (1941-43)
10%
Malaya (1941-45)
No votes
Pacific War (1941-45)
70%
Beer run to the "TimeSaver" (2006)
No votes

Total votes: 10
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Next Grand Campaign Folks?

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Because I cannot create a poll within the Historic Encounters thread, I'm trusting H.E. participants will find this post here.

In the IL-2 world there's no shortage of options for our next adventure! I see there being at least two general areas for us to consider.

(a) DCG - We can continue with the DCG generator, which awards medals and promotions, detailed de-briefings, and a dynamic and very customizable experience. Of course this is what we have been using all along as a replacement to the stock DGEN program (which is another choice to consider too!).

(b) Custom-Made Campaign - Given some of the comments from folks I was thinking about whether there was any interest in trying a user-made campaign (COOP missions). There wouldn't be any of the DCG perks of awards, de-briefings and dynamic outcomes however. Our stats would still be recorded though. Just throwing it out there as this option would provide for a much better "story" to the saga we decide to play.

----

If folks would like to continue with DCG, I have been thinking about trying a third-party DCG campaign for a change. However, I will need to know which one to focus my tweaking on as I suspect it may be a bit challenging to alter it for good online play. And in the end I can't even promise at the moment it will be adaptable for play (i.e., can I figure it all out ;) ). Therefore, please vote for one of the following third-party campaigns, and I will take some time this week and/or next exploring it for us.

Alternatively, if you would like to take a break and try a user-made campaign please express so in this thread or via a PM to me.
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:32 pm

I love the idea of some custom made missions, but I usually think of them as as a single mission and not a campaign. If someone's up to the challenge of building 8-12 sequential type mission...sounds great. I like the idea of continuing with the DCG campaigns and have custom individual mission as our precursor to the grand campaign sessions or a follow up to the grand campaign. Could get some really new and different ideas from our collective HE group. Just my two cents worth.

Noter
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Just for clarification, I'm not interested in building campaigns. My only experience was a 10-12 mission campaign for Normandy. They take too long to research and develop (but lots of fun and potentially much better than dynamically generated missions for sure).

Was thinking about sources like this - http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_coopmissions.htm

See that Midway one Hunter? Might be cool for a quick mission.

June 4th, 1942 0710 hrs
Flying from Midway, four B-26s of the 69th Bombardment Squadron are sent to attack the Japanese fleet. Each plane carries one fish, hanging from its belly.

Heading through the tracers, they spy the Akagi.

"The whole world was on fire, the only place that wasn't was across the deck of that carrier". At a height of only 15 feet, Muri flew down the deck of the Akagi. He feels too close to the enemy to be shot at. But Muri goggles at Akagi's battle flag, snapping from her mast. He has seen the blazing Rising Sun flag in newsreels, but never in real life. Now it’s the biggest thing he's ever seen.

Muri pulls out surrounded by Zeros. The Japanese tear up the B-26, Cpl. Mello staggers into the cockpit, and says "The plane's on fire and everybody's hit back there." Co-pilot Moore rushes back with a fire extinguisher to douse the blaze. Then he gives sulfa powder, and mans a gun.

MISSION DATE: June 4th, 1942 0710 hrs
GAME REQUIREMENT: IL2-FB-PF 3.04m
GAME TYPE: CO-OP up to 12 players
MISSION TYPE: Air Intercept
FLYABLE PLANES: A-20 (B-26), A6M2-21, SBD-3
FLIGHT TO TARGET TIME: 10 minutes
MISSION INFORMATION: This mission by JR "Dig Daddy" Jacobs
:FI:Moe
Postmaster

Post by :FI:Moe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:06 pm

I agree with Noter.

I like DCG driving the main campaign for the sense of involvement and immersion it gives you. Some random coop missions as warm-ups to give people ideas of where they'd like to fly future campaigns would be great too.
:FI:Hunter
Boardie

Post by :FI:Hunter » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:30 am

Looks good to me. I wasent exactly sure how it worked. DCG seems the most practical way to do this. A Coop mission from time to time would be cool though. And yes Tactical, Mabe we can fire up that Midway mission with the B-26's sometime in the next few weeks. I vote for the DCG Pacific Theater for our next DCG campain. Later..
Hunter
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:00 pm

I have posted my response in the Historic Encounters thread concerning this week's session and our next Grand Campaign.