67%
Leave My Map Display Alone TacticalS!
33%

Total votes: 15
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Historic Encounters - Navigation

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 pm

Some interest has been expressed with regard to trying our hand at navigation (i.e., no map aid).

Are WE interested folks? My thought is that we could try this in the Normandy 1944 campaign this week. This map has lots of unique features to help us navigate, we have flown it a number of times already, plus if you get lost you just need to head to sea Billy.

If there is enough interest I will provide links (if necessary) of the Normandy map and a compass that you should have handy during the session. Guess you suckers will want to fly in formation now. :badgrin:

Worst case you can radio for the target and home bearings. We would still use speedbar btw. One step at a time.

So does this sound like fun? I promise if we get lost we won't ask the Germans (unless it's Genosse) for directions.

TS!
:FI:Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:13 pm

Bring on the realism, if I can't get any kills, oh wait that would be fairly realistic ;) ...the idea that we print out the map and use it to navigate from our literal desktop. Sounds very realistic, I'm game and if it's too much we scale back. Is it possible to still have the map in game, just not show your aircraft in location to the map, still have zoom features etc. Just a thought.

Noter
:FI:McBiggles
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:McBiggles » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:25 pm

I'm in.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sence of tragedy, which sustained him, through temporary periods of joy.
W.B. Yeats
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:13 pm

Hey T,

I normally fly by using time if I'm in a server with no icons.For example....i'll work out a rough heading and time it will take to get there at say a known landmark so if I dont hit it withing that time I know i've gone wrong somewhere.It helps massively but you do need a calculator on hand and a watch ;)

Skipper :)
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 pm

:FI:Skipper wrote: using time
never thought of that
in some severs i've just used the rivers and such.....but that only works in some maps and if you are not under heavy fire :oops:
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:02 pm

Well according to the votes someone here doesn't want this. I voted for it, Noter and McBiggles both voted for it? Naw, there's only 2 votes for and 2 against at the moment. Someone here is a liar! :D

--

Thanks for the tip Skipper! Yes, the time method is grand, especially for long flights over similar terrain. Should not be too difficult as most of the missions generated keep us near the coast.

Anyway let's see the votes and then decide. If the majority isn't ready for this new challenge we can have a practice session sometime. But again let's see how this democracy thing works before I impose a dictatorship. ;)

TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:25 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote: Someone here is a liar!
we shouldn't be so hard on Noter & McBiggles, they are hampered by style you know
"IceFrog" Image
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:28 pm

:lol:
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:29 pm

Long live King TacticalS :-s . Give it a week and I'll ask for his head :evil: :CX ... :lol:

Noter
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Noter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:31 pm

we shouldn't be so hard on Noter & McBiggles, they are hampered by style you know
Hey, if you're gonna go down in flames (which I'm gettin' good at) go down in style.

Noter
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:45 pm

Note to Self: Move Noter up on the King's execution list. [-X
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Actually...

Post by :FI:Heloego » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm

...I used to use realistic navigation in Janes WW2 Fighters. :) Been wondering how well it could work in Il-2.

If we use the briefing map as a guide (printed or memorized) there is no reason we can't do without the minimap.

As stated, the use of a watch comes in handy, but once you get accustomed it is fairly easy.

I recommend leaving the speed bar "on" as some compasses are located inconveniently, as in the Hurri. :)

Initially, we'll have some problems. But due to the necessary repitition of some maps, navigating will become second nature soon enough.
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:18 pm

Well it looks like we will give it a try!

I would suggest you print out a map of Normandy. I personally went here - http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_maps.htm and downloaded Normandy 2_1 & 2_2, spliced them together (electronically), and printed a complete map on a 8.5" by 11" (landscape) sheet.

The only other thing you will need is a compass. Suggest a transparent one so you can place over the map. Remember North is 360 degrees, East is 90 degrees, South is 180 degrees, and West is 270 degrees.

We will have waypoint compass, speedbar (bearing), ground control, terrain, and each other for support. It will be up to the Flight Leader to map out the flight path, but everyone should "map" each mission in case the Leader is KIA.

While it might be a bit confusing at first I think the session should go smoothly.

TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:49 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:Well it looks like we will give it a try! While it might be a bit confusing at first I think the session should go smoothly.
TS!
wasn't that bad :D did give us a few more laughs
"IceFrog" Image
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Yeah, it was great!

Post by :FI:Heloego » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:52 pm

While everyone was working on their Nav skills, I must admit I took advantage of everyone.

While they were busy I racked up quite a collection of personal tombstones.:D

I'm really proud! 8)

Screwed up the last mission, though. Got two kills and lived to tell about it.

Wow! only 18 more kills and I'll get my service medal! ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x