Possible Squadron Vs Squadron match

Dates, News and Comments
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:32 pm

Evening/Morning/Afternoon Gents!

I've been flying with a very nice guy from PLR in HL for a few months now and was chatting to him about how our training is on a Sunday night and how we do co-ops etc.

He was saying that the PLR only fly Squadron Vs Squadron matches as training and suddenly , it clicked!I'm sure I read something here on the forums about doing a few Squadron Vs Squadron challenges.I suggested this to Ogre and he said that they had no strict times so we could maybe incorporate it into the Sunday session or whatever suits us best and then get back to them for their input.

I think this would be a fun squadron challenge so if there is any interest/suggestions , post here and we could maybe get something organised soon.

S! mates

^:) Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:54 am

I've never taken part in one of these.....so I'm in Skip :)
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 pm

I'd love to give it a go... I can't guarantee my helpfulness in such a situation, but I do think it will be fun to give it a shot, or two...

Let me know the time and date, and I'll do my best to make it... :D
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:46 pm

I was flying on a server with a few of those PLR guys last night and they seem to have a good attitude, so yeah, let's get our collective arses kicked in tribute! ;)

...just don't go up against the PLO guys in their I-16s - they shoot Arafat Peas at you! :roll:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:00 pm

I'd have a lash- when and where?.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:59 pm

Erm.....I've never really done one of those either so I guess if we all agree on a time and date and who wants to take part , I can then let the PLR or Ogre know and they can see if it suits them.....and if not we can come to some sort of compromise :shock: .....I guess....

I was thinking a weekend would be best rather than a weeknight incase ,because of time differences, it runs on late.So if you mates give me your views /suggestions/money* :D etc. we can pound out some details. ^:)

Skipper

*optional
Winston Churchill

:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:47 pm

:FI:Moog wrote:I was flying on a server with a few of those PLR guys last night and they seem to have a good attitude, so yeah, let's get our collective arses kicked in tribute! ;)
Language can be tricky mate. By good "attitude" you mean we have a chance at winning, right Moog? ;)

[TacticalS! has flashbacks of that French Squad encounter. :O{ ]

What would the settings be?

Our squad has some great pilots. However, the true strength is in coordinated numbers.

Please let us know the particulars mate.

TS!
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:55 pm

:FI:TacticalS! wrote:[TacticalS! has flashbacks of that French Squad encounter. :O{ ]
Our squad has some great pilots. However, the true strength is in coordinated numbers.
TS!
i guess i would be part of the coordinated numbers... not the great ones :D
French memories :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:15 am

quiet you!

/me looks at tactical

:D
:: napier ::

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:34 am

Stop looking at me. Stop it. Stop. [-X
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Language can be tricky mate. By good "attitude" you mean we have a chance at winning, right Moog? ;)
Who was it told me that French squadron had a nose-up attitude? They're snooty, non?

Well, I like to think we have more of a nose-down attitude... yeah, usually characterised by a lack of wings, or a rudder, or elevators... :lol:

Nah seriously though, they were courteous on the server I joined, ya know, saying hello when new people joined, saluting good kills and acknowledging skill on any flier's part, owning up to their own farts, that sort of thing...
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:19 pm

I really don't know what attitude that French Squad had but I know our Squad wasn't ready for the beating we received back then, which was last year right guys? I only played for a short time during that matchup, so others certainly have much more insight to share.

The primarily setting that was difficult for most (but not all) of our members was no icons. This not only affected plane ID, but we really seemed, at least at the beginning, uncoordinated. This was also due to not having any map assistance on a map some were not completely familiar with.

They also appeared to fly with a wingman, so seeing lone ducks was a sure sign of a :FI: target. Of course for those that had experience flying without icon assistance did better. Genosse immediately comes to mind.

Now a lot has changed since then. We have a much larger core of guys with VWF (and a like) experience. Plus there are :FI: activites with harder settings. And even when we use icon assistance, it has been reduced somewhat from previous years. Of course I don't know what this other Squad would want in terms of game settings - icons, map navigation, speedbar. I think we are still weak with regards to map navigation and speedbar as a group. I certainly lack experience without nav and speedbar assistance.

Personally I'm game for anything, provided it's not open cockpit which is unlikely I know. :lol: At least from what Moog has said they should provide a more pleasant time given their respectful manner. The French Squad was rather dead quiet, but I suspect they took this encounter dead serious too.

Whatever we decide let's make sure we can compete. Only a clear understanding of the matchup parameters and adequate preparation will allow us this opportunity. Should they insist on say no icons, then we need to be absolutely sure there are enough mates competitive at this setting. More discussion is needed, and there is no need on our part to rush into something we are not completely comfortable with as a group.

And yes we all want to kick some virtual butt. The trick is to make sure our butts are properly protected or we better not stick them out. ;)

Regards,
TactS!
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:41 pm

PLR?

Do they have a website?

Sure, i´m in! ^:)
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

I vote for Tact!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:16 pm

:)
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:59 pm

Well there's no rush to decide anything so we can ponder over what we want and even get some added training in.For example flying with wingmen , working as a team etc etc :)

I reckon we can probably beat these guys if we are co-ordinated and train before hand.

As I said before , nothing is decided or confirmed yet so there's plenty of time to dicuss/argue/fight/compromise over this ;)

It would be a good laugh though :D

Skipper
Winston Churchill