OK so I'm... "in the air"....

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Snaphoo
Forum Junky

OK so I'm... "in the air"....

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:23 am

But I seem to be listing to the right (or left) dependant on the plane.... I feel like such a n00b again, but I've been out of the virtual cockpit for so long, and I recently patched to 4.01, so everything seems to be all wunky... I can't roll in one direction at all, and I don't know how to trim anymore... it's all so confusing... any help would be greatly appreciated.
You've got red on you.
Give me the punch ladle, I'll fathom the bowl.
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:08 am

Drive fast!! Stop and shop. :roll: OOPS that's the mantra for I-40 truckers. :oops:

TORQUE has introduced it's ugly head into the game. NOTHING flies as it did before 4.01. Stuff changes witrh power settings ( as it did in real life, however , I don't know HOW accurate the torque modeling is)

Burn a lot of gas offline and get used to the new flight model. Throttle changes now need to be a bit more subtle and speed is your friend. The YAK is a twitchy beast. The 109 is WAY different than it was in 4.0. Oddly enough, I find the I-16 pretty easy to yank and bank.

The Antons are suffering and the Dora is outstanding. Still fooling around with some other planes. Haven't tried the Spit in 4.01 yet.

Tailwheel lock is WAY over modeled in my opinion as well.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:01 pm

Willie
what do you think of the differences between the BF109’s & the FW190’s, I have a hard time making sharp turns with the FW’s, to me they really feel like a flying tank. The Yaks you are right about the way they handle but I kind of like them, they make me feel like I am in a real Russian jet, ready to come apart at any time :D
Last edited by :FI:IceFrog on Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:44 pm

Well, basically I'm unable to taxi straight down a runway anymore. Unable to take off in a reasonably straight fashion. I don't have the money for pedals, and I am not really feeling like the change is a good thing. But I guess that is what I remember reading when the patch came out a few months back.

It's just frustrating to have to relearn everything that I had figured out from the last game. Taking off sideways last night had to have been on the top of the list of the most ridiculous things I've ever done. Trimming doesn't seem to work at all, and when I do trim, the plane jerks around like I'm trying to steer...

Now I'm just repeating myself and not helping...

I guess I may have to reinstall and go back to 4.0... At least then I could think I was flying... Now it's just nuts trying to get in the air.
You've got red on you.
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:20 pm

:FI:Snaphoo wrote:straight fashion.......frustrating
yes... none of my take offs are straight either, I’m usually bouncing around on the grass fields, zig zaging on the good fields, and being a snowplow on the snow ones, but the 109’s are tuff enough for me to get airborne. Not a pretty sight at all :(
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:10 pm

Snaphoo are you locking your tailwheel? Before this patch you did not need to lock yoru tailwheel (I never did), but now it is *very* difficult to take off with many planes if you do not lock the tailwheel. Also takeoff flaps will make thins considerably easier on planes that have that setting, again before this patch I never had to use takeoff flaps.

Also, try taking off with the 109 I find it one of the easiest to take off with after this patch. No need to lock tailwheel, just drop takeoff flaps and use a bit of rudder and aileron to compensate for the torque and she will take off pretty easy.

s!
Snoop
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Also, make sure that not only is your tailwheel locked but that it is locked straight and not locked crooked! Roll forward a bit and then lock it, use externals when available to double check tailwheel lock.
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Thanks Snoop, Les and Willy... I'll give that a shot... That would make sense as to why I "suddenly" was sideways when trying to take off...

Though if anyone has any tips on trim, or config settings for trim axes, I would greatly appreciate it...
You've got red on you.
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:34 am

Les, the 190 is extremely agile. Twitchy has been used. I found that if you remap your elevator to give only about 90% at full up, you will not be so apt to depart into the snap/stall mode. I'm having MORE trouble with the Yaks than I've had lately with either the Antons or the Doras. Fly the 190 at or above 400KmH and NEVER turn more than once in a fight. Roll in on your target, try to get a shot as you blast by him and run like HELL!! There are few guys that can TnB with those things but they are the exception rather than the rule. If you see you are going to have make a BIG correction ( more than 90°) to your flight path to get a firing solution abort the pass and go back upstairs and regroup. This applies to both the Dora and even more so to the Antons.

As for LOCKING THE TAIL WHEEL...

I rarely use it nowadays. Roll the power on gently at the atart of your take off run. I usually give it full throttle around the 70KmH mark. By that time your rudder is pretty effective and you should be ablr to get the tail off the ground. Most planes will require a large amount of RIGHT rudder to stay reasonably straight. I usually throw the flaps down around 140 KmH. This helps IMMENSELY with a heavily loaded Anton. A few excursions thru the weeds at the end of a dirt runway followed by the MISSION FAILED etc taught me that trick rather than applying T/O flaps whilst waiting to launch..

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:28 am

Most interesting Willie, I will definitely be trying that on my next take off... should be easier to be sure...

But, I feel like a fool... My frustration was mostly taken care of by re-calibrating my joystick. It seems, prior to my calibrating the stick, that the stick would completely lose all input in the full right position. Recalibration has fixed that... I've taken off and landed twice now, in two different airplanes (F6F and a P40B)... So I'm feeling a bit more confident that I didn't completely lose my mind after a slight vacation from PF....

Thanks for all the help... Keep 'em comin' I know that I can use it!

:D
You've got red on you.
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:56 am

Hang in there. About the time you get the hang of it, they'll mess with the flight model again. :roll: :badgrin:

:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:48 am

Willie,

you seem to have had all the problems I had after going up to the 4.01 FM and joystick troubles to boot.

Dependant on the aircraft I am using a lot more ruddeer and a bit of airleron on takeoff in the opposite direction to the torque effect- that way when you do get off the ground you can counter the sudden lurch. Tailwheel lock also helps but remeber to turn it off when airbourne or it will still be on when you land (many trips into the undergrowth has taught me this is not good) On landing I have taken to retracting flaps as soon as I get on the deck and that helps in keeping control on taxi.

As for trimming Im still working on that one but apart from pitch it just don't seem to be what it used to be pre 4.01. the new FM has made some big changes and if you have been used to the way an aircraft responds its not easy to deal with- I think the Spits are totally different and I had real trouble getting to the end of the runway when I first started. It drove me nuts.

having stuck it out I'm starting to get used to it so hang in there and Im sure you will too. I just need to get a lot better at fighting in the damn things now !!!.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:01 pm

Hang in there. About the time you get the hang of it, they'll mess with the flight model again. :roll::badgrin:
Ain't that the truth Willie?

Yeah, I've noticed the "lurch"... I tried to restart my Iwo Jima campaign that I had so much fun with prior to 4.01. Nope, I spun backwards into the drink. The thing that I found really upsetting was that the bastards in front of me took off smooth as silk. Granted, they were AI of course.

Would've been online with you guys last night, but we had thunderstorms and I didn't want to risk it.

Sna"n00b-again"phoo
You've got red on you.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:18 pm

I saw you on TeamSpeak last night, right mate? Next time please join us in Historic Encounters. We're cover your six until you get that plane trimmed in this crazy new patch. :)

TS!
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Snaphoo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:45 pm

Yep, that would've been me... and had it not been for the T-storms, I might've ventured out to see what damage I could've done, to the virtual ground...

I will definitely make an effort to be there next wednesday. I've always had fun in the past, and now with the new schedule, I should be there most wednesdays.... :D
You've got red on you.