In The Air Today

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:ZekeMan
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

In The Air Today

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:39 am

It was an extreme pleasure in flying on Rules' server today with you guys.
Only thing is, were the settings made easier? I thought it very odd that I was able to fly the Bf-109 so easily, as well as engage in and survive combat without stalling out.

Most embarrassed about the landing tho! Sheesh, what the heck happened, it was a good approach, I thought. Even if I would have landing short I don't think I would have augered like I did. Oh well. I think I can be forgiving, especially after downing two fighters, the latter being the game winning kill (gloat, gloat).....and I don't get to gloat often! LOL.
^:) :beer:

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:38 am

Don't worry about the landing Zeke.

You had a sweet kill tonight!

And even without the kill, you proved again to be a great teammate!

Up the "Flippin' Oirish!"

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 am

:lol:

Z

We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night, to visit violence upon those that would do us harm... James Orwell
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:42 pm

8) The setings were FR, with exernals. so you just got better m8... ;)
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:42 pm

:FI:RULES wrote:8) The setings were FR, with exernals. so you just got better m8... ;)
Wow, no kidding? Got to remember the type of plane then, those were G-6s weren't they? I only got the stall buffet once.

Z

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:50 pm

G-6's (Late) or G-10's I ... think
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:24 am

What? The late model Gustavs and you DIDN'T engage the Autoland??

:roll:

Hee hee hee...

Treat IL-2 like a sim and not like (so-called) 'Real Life' - if you get your crate back on the deck and your pilot survives, it's a good landing.

ONLY THEN can you start taking notes on how to improve the touchdown with fifty bulletholes in your plane :badgrin:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:26 am

Actually, in fairness guys, do you really take just one or two planes up and learn everything about their landing habits, or do you just 'feel' for it?

I've been landing almost every plane (roughly) the same since day one and sorta getting away with it - do you do it any differently?
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Kitty
Postmaster

Post by Kitty » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:33 am

When in doubt ask yourself this simple question:

Are you having fun?

:lol:
Chow Meow from Kitty Hawk!
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:45 am

I kina see how they fly then worry about the landing part, depending on the gear you can land in different ways trikes I land tail wheels first, unless its the go229 thing in which case i kinda just well i dunno i dont remeber landing it :p
the tail drages come in pretty flat with a slight tail down btw the p39s can come in really slw and you can sit on the brake easily aswell :D
the planes with the center gear (think 109 spit etc) be more carefull with take a proper approach and try not to use any major rudder actions :)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:IceFrog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:IceFrog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:21 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Don't worry about the landing Zeke.
You had a sweet kill tonight!
And even without the kill, you proved again to be a great teammate!
F
i don't mean to butt in but...... not only are we're suppose to fly these things, but we have to land them too...... in one piece. i can't seem to slow them down enough in time for the airfield
i saw some other posts about landings :cry:
"IceFrog" Image
The past is the prelude to the future
“Indecision is the key to flexibily”
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:24 pm

Les,

Start a "Landing, Reality or Myth" thread and we'll all add our two cents to it.

It's not too hard and with a few consistant rules, some numbers and some on/off-line practice you can do it.

Fal "Threepoint" con

;)

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:ZekeMan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:47 am

I don't mean to be hyper critical about myself, but cracking up that landing really bugged the crap out of me. I've made ultra crappy approaches, too fast, too high, whatever, and pulled them off. This, as far as I know, was a straight on approach and at a decent landing speed. Sigh. Don't suppose anyone has a track of it, huh?

Z

:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:18 pm

Fal "Threepoint" con
Didnt know the three points could be .........wingtip-cockpit-tail Falc :D

U the man though. 8)

<runs behind bar with tray and ice bucket awaiting missiles>
L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:35 pm

:FI:ZekeMan wrote:I don't mean to be hyper critical about myself, but cracking up that landing really bugged the crap out of me. I've made ultra crappy approaches, too fast, too high, whatever, and pulled them off. This, as far as I know, was a straight on approach and at a decent landing speed. Sigh. Don't suppose anyone has a track of it, huh?

Z

I have come to the same conclution :lol:

Its no use setting up a nice approach, so i have instead developed 4 easy points to follow.

1. Full power!
2. Aim for grass.
3. Engine off.
4. Bang!

That should work 9 out of 10 times. :)
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.