Battlefield 2 Damaged?

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Skipper
Forum Junky

Battlefield 2 Damaged?

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:56 pm

I didn't know whether to post this in the other thread but it seems to be quite importatnt so I thought I'd make a topic of my own.I just read this on the Wanadoo site:

"Battlefield 2 damaged
Electronic Arts has admitted that an update for its war sim Battlefield 2, designed to fix a number of bugs in the original game, contains some serious bugs of its own! The American games giant is advising anyone who has downloaded and run the v1.01 update to re-install the original version of the game. Keep an eye on the Battlefield 2 section on EA’s official site for the latest info. "

I don't have the game but I know some of you fine Sirs do so I thought it was best to keep you all informed.I hope it doesn't affect any of you too badly.

Skipper
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:43 pm

Aye, EA are working on a fix for 1.01 which is due very soon.

1.01 isn't actually that bad - as with most PC games/patches it depends very much on the individual's unique hardware and software setup. Most people have reported positive feedback after patching but there have been some horror stories as well - obviously enough to warrant the massive EA Games to issue a patch fix - a concession to imperfection! ;)

It's getting to the stage that most PC games are released unfinished. Then as soon as the commnity opens up and lets forth a vitriolic tirade, the developers rush into a half-assed patch job which itself needs patching.

Gah, they have the power 'cause we give them the money! :(

I came back to Brothers in Arms this morning after months. A new patch had been released. I just about installed this (after there being NO mention of a previous necessary patch) and now it won't recognise my serial number! I promptly uninstalled the game and am now using it as a gasket between my table and my drinks coaster so that neither gets dirty :badgrin:
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:51 pm

the last time I "let forth a vitriolic tirade"

I was almost arrested.

Good thing I had remembered to bring along extra socks.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:17 pm

While I'm a fan of this series, and own a number of EA games, this seems to be the norm for this "sweat shop" company. Unrealistic time lines for over-worked studios.

I suspected as good as BF2 would be on release day, that in order to really judge whether I wanted to pick it up I should wait until a patch or two. Seems my concern has been justified.

Waiting and watching. ;)

Tact - "a father knows best" - S!
Skipper
Forum Junky

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:30 pm

I personnally hate downloading patches for games for fear or if not installing correctly and wrecking the game like Moog said. I especially hate doing it for Il2 now as one mistake requires a TOTAL reinstall which for me , can take hours :shock: :? :( .The worst case I've ever had was where I miss instlled everything for Il2 , reinstalled and made the same mistake again. I have never felt rage like that before in my life! :oops: :evil:

I think I will wait like TactS is and just see how BF2 gets along before I rush out and buy.I ran out and bought BF Vietnam when it came out and didn't really like it so I am now , very cautious! :roll:

Skip
"Nothing in Life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

:FI:Macca
The North Pole

Post by :FI:Macca » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:44 pm

yeah

we live in interesting times.

it should run smoothly

no bugs

and we pay for them...

what a mess....

the game is nice ,though.....

eeech....

Mac
ImageImageImage
:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Hmmm...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:33 pm

BF2?

I'm bored with offline play already... COD is much better.

And my connection is not good enough for online play.....

Anyone wanna buy a copy of BF2?

:(
_________
:FI:Fenian

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:24 pm

Oh mate sorry to hear that. Truly BF2 is only an online experience. Personally I have been pre-occupied with my Huns campaign in Rome: Total War (Barbarian Invasion), which definitely is an offline game, plus flying a bit more. Haven't shot a gun in BF2 in probably 2 weeks now, but will enjoy it again soon enough I reckon.

TS!
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:46 pm

Hmmm, i´ve heard that there´s something wrong in bf2´s netcode.. would that be the reason, why i keep losing connection to the servers (i have no problems with other onlinegames)

I sure hope that the patch will fix that too...

"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:21 pm

:FI:Sapper-FIN wrote:Hmmm, i´ve heard that there´s something wrong in bf2´s netcode.. would that be the reason, why i keep losing connection to the servers (i have no problems with other onlinegames)

I sure hope that the patch will fix that too...

FYI - I seldom get any disconnects mate. Hopefully things will improve for you. :?
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:46 pm

I sure hope so... When you read bf2 forums, you´ll see that it´s not so uncommon problem... My guess is that, that crappy netcode makes the game extremely sensitive for packet loss, for example...

I used "pingplotter" to monitor my connections and noticed that there are 2 servers in my ISP´s network, that causes 5-30% packet loss. I called them few days ago about that, and they said they are "working on it". Ffs, they´ve been "working on it" for days now! How hard can it be, to locate the problem and fix it? That´s what they get paid for...

Sure, i could change my ISP, but it usually takes 4-10 weeks to get broadband active in here...

So my guess is that when my ISP gets that problem fixed, and EA gets that patch out, things will be much better...

It´s really frustrating... sometimes i can play 25 minutes without any problems, sometimes 5 minutes... and it´s always the same "your connection to the server has been lost". The game does that with every server... And i think it started after installing patch 1.03...

Btw, i tried to look up that news about the upcoming patch, but there was no mention about it, on EA´s website

:?

"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:50 pm

Wow that sounds frustrating. The only thing I have done with my Internet connection is select the lower setting under Broadband (in BF2) as I was told selecting Broadband (which I have) is not properly coded and rather robust.

TS!
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:42 am

Hey Skipper, can you post a link to that wanadoo website? I tried to google it, but only found this french site...
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:46 pm

Ok, i think i got it sorted out by updating the punkbuster manually... I really cant figure out, how can punkbuster issue cause me to loose my connection to the server, but as long as it works i´m happy :D

I managed to play 6 matches without any problems... not even "there is a problem with your internet connection"-message, which used to come up at least 8 times during one round...

I just hope this lasts...