Gun clip

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
arne_and
Postmaster

Gun clip

Post by arne_and » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:25 pm

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/iraqfootage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: Wish i had this gun mounted in the back of my IL2!
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 pm

A 7.62mm minigun......for my IL-2 gunner.......i want one......Heck of a surprise for the Luffwaffe!

Igor
Sapper-FIN
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by Sapper-FIN » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:46 pm

If you think gatling has great firepower, take a look at this;

http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It´s a "metal storm", an australian invention, i guess... rate of fire can be up to 1 000 000 rounds/minute :shock:

Here´s the manufacturer´s web page,

http://www.metalstorm.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there´s a lot of interesting stuff there...

It sure makes a funny sound ;)
"If the thought of doing something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:27 pm

hmph!

I only counted 999,973

pft!

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
arne_and
Postmaster

Post by arne_and » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:43 pm

Djeez! that would have been something for me IL2..

I counted 2 and then I lost count..

hmm...

Are you an autist, falcy? ;)
:FI:WillieOFS
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:47 am

Back in "the day" on Yankee Staion in the Tonkin Gulf whilst being a participant in the SE Asia war games ( we came in second place BTW. :roll: (Ancient history here) They sent a Detachment of 2 SAR choppers out to our ship. I believe it was HC 2 Det 6. ( Helicopter composite Squadron 2, Detachment 6, in civvy speak). They were flyin those big assed Sikorsky jobs we referred to as "Jolly Green giants". They were HH-3 Sikorsky's

These guys had 7.62 miniguns all over those things. They had a couple of 'em "flexible" mounted like the guys in that vid. They also had some Ma Duece's scattered around here and there for giggles. Those things were waggin some serious throw weight for choppers of that day.

Their job was to rescue downed pilots and those boyos were "loaded for bear".

Funky thing about a mini-gun. It WILL fire if the barrels are rotated. Period. I knew that. I was an "ordy" and specialized in stuff that went BOOM. I thought EVERYBODY knew a mini- gun would do that too.

I thought wrong.

One night a kid, went up to one of the ready birds and grabbed the barrels on a mini and cranked it around. He was standing in front of it when he did it.

It killed him. One round through the chest.
Last edited by :FI:WillieOFS on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindless Dribble and Off Topic posts are my specialty!

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:56 am

I think the rate of fire is 100,000 per/min but i think the durattion of fire was only a second or so (didn't see the clip, diap-up ISP). I saw a video years ago on 'fire storm', i think it was a glorified 'roman candle'.

But as most of you guys know, if you're good, you really only need one shot!

I read an article in 'military history' magazine several years ago about snipers. My numbers aren't exactly correct, but a think the figure was something like the average soldier used several hundred (or thousands) of rounds to inflict an incapacitating wound; however, snipers averaged 2.6 rounds for the same effect.

Igor da 'yeah, but i'd still like a minigun on my IL-2!'
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:02 am

Geez Willie,
Sounds like remedial training was indicated. About as bad a guy checking an AIM-9 rocket motor with a PSM-6 multimeter; when the missle fired, i,m told, it strained him through a chain link fence. Got to be careful; they're not toys.

Igor
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:06 am

I'd MUCH rather have an M-61 in the rear seat of my IL-2.

20MM beats a puny lil .30 cal ANY day for making stuff break..
:badgrin:

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:14 am

Willie,
A 20mm vulcan would be nice, but really...think about it,,,, theres only so much room in the back seat......with a big old 20mm gatlin...where would you have room for the beer....errr fuel?

Igor
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:45 am

Use the gun to TAKE THEIR BEER and MAKE THEM DELIVER IT!!! :lol:

Sometime, I'll tell ya what a Lifer Aviation Ordnance Chief did to me with regards to AIM-9's..

He wasn't a Chief after I went to the NAS Miramar's Skipper's Office and then got sent to Base Safety Officer. They were NOT happy with him. :badgrin:

Nor were the pilots that I sent BACK to flight line. :lol:

arne_and
Postmaster

Impressing..

Post by arne_and » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Do you know of any film clips with that M-61 in use Willie? On the internet.
And, on that pic, is it attached to a jet??
L.F
Forum Junky

Re: Impressing..

Post by L.F » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:44 pm

thats the gun on the f-16`s right?
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.
Post Maniac 1st Grade

Post by :FI:WillieOFS » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:34 am

That gun is on/in a lot of planes these days. F-16. F-18 and I think the F-15 as well. It is also used in the "PHALANX" anti aircraft/missile defense system on ships. Dog alone knows what else.

That pic doesn't show a very good view of the drum that holds the ammo. You are looking at the feed end of it and the ammo chute is missing. there is a piece of the chute at the bottom of the pic. The ammo is not linked in that system, each round is carried in a conveyor thingy to the gun and then after going through the gun it is replaced in a conveyor thingy and goes back into the drum. You load it with linked ammo and it de-links it as it feeds it up to the drum and re-links the empties as they unload. All this happens pretty much simultaneously.

Haven't seen any internet vids of it in action.

It doesn't sound like a gun that you're used to hearing. I recall some time I spent on the gun range when the pilots were wasting taxpayer $$ and shooting those things. First thing you heard was the impact of the rounds, followed by a groaning sound from the gun firing.

Then, you heard THE noise.. The NOISE that could be described as an elephant with a massive amount of flatulence.. The NOISE was a mystery. The pilots couldn't hear the NOISE. EVERYBODY on the ground could hear the NOISE.. There was no logical explanation of the NOISE. We thought maybe it was from the purge air system that cleared the smoke out of the gun bay. Purge air came from the second stage compressor on the engine as I recall. What ever the NOISE was, it was HILARIOUS!!

Ours were mounted in the old ( now obsolete ) A-7C ( also the D and E versions)

L.F
Forum Junky

Post by L.F » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:26 am

rgr that!

yeah, I remember seing one up close at last years airshow, they had it on a display next to a f-16 simulator.

what I would love to get a closer look at is the GSh-30 30 mm cannon the russians use in their su-27. :)
Og det er det stora,
og det er det glupa,
at Merket det stend,
um Mannen han stupa.