Weird happenings online!

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Gadje

Weird happenings online!

Post by Gadje » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:52 am

I've just come off a server I haven't been on before, don't Know if its ok to mention its name so I won't.

Saw some strange stuff though not like anything I have seen before. Not your usual warping.

First I was in a zeke and dived on an attacking A20. didn't get too close cause I always get smoked. Hit it with a deflection shot ( sometimes even the sun can shine in Scotland!) when right in front of my eyes it disappeared. I thought he had left but there was no autokick text that you usually get. Then he reappeared again slightly behind me? so I carried on my attack. Now I swear that I took no hits from his gunner i.e no sounds on the plane and he was firing away from me when the second thing happened and I caught fire, nobody else around and I bail. So I guess I'm wrong :? it was a zeke.

Next game I'm red (fickle) and up high in a P51b, nice plane. Dive down to see a couple of Spits turning low with a bf109. 109 goes down and one spit is smoking so I zoom up to 2500 m.

Then a few seconds later I see this smoking plane on the deck tearing away really fast in the direction of Red base. I dive down to catch him. I'm hitting about 650kph before I eventually get close enough for icons to appear, its a red spit.

So I'm thinking.. can't be the same one I saw, he had been doing 250 max on the deck a few seconds ago, he must have dived from above me. I decided to follow him in it looks so strange. I'm doing over 550 and can just keep up . He isnt slowing down. And he is in a Spit Vb!.
As i watch him in closeup view his plane makes little forward jumps, pushes forward, no warping to the side or ahead, he is going steady speed in a straight line for base. Very strange. I watched him land and he was like the previous guy, Russian. I know the Russian guys have some great pilots who can without doubt squeeze performance out of planes that I could only dream of. But a smoking Spit Vb outpacing a diving P51?

So I made my apple bogies and left.

Ok to round up.

First one could have been connection prob?

Second one my error (likely)

Third one though was extremely weird ( he looked like a streaking me262 with the smoke :D )

I'm worried :( I want yous experienced bods to tell me you can't cheat online at IL2 and put my paranoid mind to rest. Please tell me I'm wrong!

wish I'd taped it though.

p.s I believe in ghosties, ghoulies and hobgoblins so don't scare me ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:03 am

ahhh... you've stumbled upon one of the greatest secrets of all time.

pssst! keep yer voice down will ya?

its hob-goblins in the planes it is. little green fellers that hitch a ride for hoots and give special powers to 'certain' pilots that they've taken an affection for.

and by the way, i have some swamp land to sell ya, if ya believe all that. (actually, i really DO have some swamp land to sell ya!)

--------------

actually, from my YEARS of experience in online gameplaying, especially in flight sims, my guess is that pure and simple it was lag. or rather a special kind of warping lag.

now sure, it could have been some sort of odd, little known cheat... but to be frank, i doubt it. though sure, cheats are possible in ANY game, and there are a tiny few possible in IL2/FB/ACES/PF... and yeah, unfortunately, the Russian players have a rep for odd sort of things going on in some of their games... none of what you describe really sound like a cheat to me.

i've seen ALL of the above mentioned things happen at odd times, in one form or another. and even stranger things. and that was while playing with good, well-trusted comrades that i had known for years and was in NO WAY cheating. i've even had them happen to me on occasion. when the internet connections get fouled up, VERY odd things can happen. I've seen planes flying backwards, sideways, up side down... fly faster than a laser beam, or slower than a piss ant... i've been shot down my invisible enemies. i've seen the settings get screwed and planes look ten times bigger than they really should. i've shot down enemy AC and then had the points awarded to someone not even flying at the time... or even to the plane that i had just shot down. gah!

yeah, it could have been some sort of cheat... always 'could' be. but really, it doesn't sound like one to me.

best advice. always try to fly with friends that you know won't screw you over. there's no other way to be certain.

salute!

Beowolff
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gadje

Post by Gadje » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:57 am

Thanks Beowolff.

p.s. I of course know about the flying leprechauns yous lot cheat with. But I'm hoping to get me own one soon, so I'll keep stooshy ;)
Beowolff
Postmaster

Post by Beowolff » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 am

right... mums the word, pal.

;)

Beo
Beowolff's Lair
http://www.msnusers.com/BeowolffsRoninL ... slair.msnw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;