Hello

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Gadje

Hello

Post by Gadje » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:50 pm

Jeez am I hoggin this board r' whit?
;)

Falcon and I can't find my introductory post. It had to do with an offer to yous lot, of huge quantities of free ale in an attempt to ingraciate myself to yous. I was very impressed, obviously these people cannae be bought I decided,.....so I drank it all myself.

Anyway Falcon asked me to post again :roll: :D

so HI FI!

I am from Scotland and live in the Scottish Borders(the bit next to England) not many people live around here but plenty :sheep: you'll be jealous to know.(Thanks Falc that piccy did the trick..I'm cured)

I've been daft on flying since I was a wee laddie( and got to practise it with frequent skelps across the back of the heid :D )
If I could be so bold as to ask any of yous that are interested in my thoughts on this and WWII stuff to look in my 'First Flight' thread as it pretty much covers it. And I'm buggered if I'm gonna type that all again [-( :D I'm gettin effin finger fatigue!

On the daft wee laddie note; I was chatting to my brother -who I don't see very often- about playing this sim and telling him that I only have this and (CENSORED BY MOD) flight sims on my 'puter. He eventually coughed up that he plays Strategy War Games. This really made me laugh!. Recently my Ma found an old drawing book of mine when I must have been about 6 or 7 and it was covered with drawings of planes,Spits etc and birds.... eagles,falcons that kind of thing. And as my bruv confessed I couldn't help but remember him at that time, always playing with boxes of minature toy soldiers, shouting at his little bro not to knock over his armies as I ran around 'flying' my airfix spitfire. And here we both are now, middleaged old farts(him more than me!) still playing our favourite games, me a WWII pilot him a General. :D Still makes me laugh.

I digress. My job, although I can't really call it that, is as a glass designer.
That means I design and make, usually blow, hot glass into sometimes functional work, like goblets,bottles and bowls and if I'm lucky more 'erty,ferty' work that sells in glass galleries. As I said it is far too amazing stuff to work with to consider it 'a job'. Although it can be physically exhausting and its hard to make ends meet at times(overheads are enormous, gas burnin 24/7)but I'm doing something I love, so I'm not complaining!

This will come as a Huge surprise to all but a few FI members. But the Swedes are seen as Gods by most glassmakers. I know, I know! you thought they were a bunch of goodfernuffin, nevergetuptothebar,boxycar makin, herringeaters and having had a few work at the studio , you'd be mostly right :D But man do these guys and gals no how to blow glass!

And don't mention the Finns :D

Anyway yous know I would like to join your squad, and would be honoured to be accepted if you agree.

Baderslegs put it well I think when he said,

'Thats what I love about this squad, dont take ourselves too seriously, respect everyone, and have total respect for the history'

.....Although he also called it a game, so forget the last bit :D ^:)
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:04 pm

I remeber you!
could somone translate all this stuff into queens english for me? laddie?cannae? what?

;)
Hi again
:wink2:
(prepares self to run from baders and all the rest of the scots out there, gulp)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:05 pm

Ah well it's not your fault your Scots ;) Hello and welcome (again?) anyway :)

Any piccies of the things you've blown? ... and no animal pics :p

I was probably your brother when I was younger as I had loads of wee soldiers tnks and stuff.... a pile of old builders sand made for great desert scenarios :) I guess I have grown up know as I play flight sims 8)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Gadje me auld square sausage!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:09 pm

Hello again!

Am i right when I say that blowing glass is an art - and that at least one-third of that art is remembering never to inhale when you have the pipe in yer gob :) Not good for one's lungs I hear!

I've seen the Waterford Crystal boyos at work and felt humbled by what they do - and the Swedes are very good at it indeed (don't mention the Finns - they'll be along in a bit).

Now, down to business.... Who wants a Fightin' Irish Ceremonial Pint Glass commissioned?

Gadje, I kid you not here.... I reckon you could count on sales of up to 20 at least, providing the price was in the parallelogram and not competely out of the box, so to speak :)

I dunno how you'd feel about this - but I do get a terrbile feeling that this would be a bit too expensive for the majority of us.....

It was just a thought.... but a nice one, admittedly ;)

Now, back to business....

Welcome again!

:)

My Dad had a plane for a few years when I was growing up, and I did the airfix thing aswell... so I understand compeltely....

Setting fire to my Action Man is something for a psychiatrist though I think.... perhaps it had something to do with their lack of genitalia that made me feel superior in some small way :lol:

I digress....

:D
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:29 pm

o!

an official FI glass pint!

it'll go nicely with my collection!

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Just pink and fluffy

You need a

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:45 pm

shave Stu....

:lol:
_________

Oscar Wilde
:FI:RULES
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:RULES » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:54 pm

8) Nice...another artistic fella...and one that says somthing nice about Swedes....

Visited Kosta-Boda glass-mill some time ago, and man was that hot...
Not a job for weaklings....They make some nice stuff aswell...
Get the wife one of these, http://www.kostaboda.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and she will let you play with the m8´s some extra time... ;)

And I would like a nice glass for my beer...good idea Fenian...
Last edited by :FI:RULES on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ammunition clearance is a science with uncertain assumptions, based on disputed calculations. Derived from none convincing experiments carried out by persons with doubtful reliability and questioned mental capacities using instrument of doubtful precision".
Gadje

Beerglasses

Post by Gadje » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:55 pm

Well you never know! :D

Trouble is I'm on a 3-4 month lead time, and like the shoemakers children who don't have any shoes, I cannae afford my own glasses- we use Ikea. :(
But it would be cool for you lot to come up with some designs(OMG! what am I sayin?)
Then we could have a vote and I would have a go at making it.....later in the year.

I'd be happy to show you some images.... but I'm fecked if I know how to.

If Falc didn't mind I could mail a couple to him and he could try( Piccy Expert that he is)
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:02 pm

sure, send 'em on!
Just pink and fluffy

Oohh...

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:31 pm

Christmas Pressies!!!!!

Did I say the right thing guys... did I?.... Did I?

Thanks for the offer Gadje! I would never have thought to have asked :lol:

You see, we feel that crystal and good glass deserves to be used on a regular basis for the satisfaction of our thirst - but in a refined and culturally-aware sort of way :)

All my IKEA glasses have gone cloudy from the dishwasher.... :(

But an :FI: Pint Pot would be hand washed and polished every time ;)
_________

Oscar Wilde
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:36 pm

ak!

kinna big

but purdy purdy purdy!

thanx again Gurb

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:08 pm

wow...wow
thats some pretty cool stuff!
although the finishing on the last ones a bit fishey...(insert groan here)
:)
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Gadje

Post by Gadje » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:11 pm

Cheers Falcon ;)

Yeh shame about the size.

Thats the more 'erty,ferty' stuff. The perfume bottle is about 6 inches, 15 cm. The wave form 20 inches and caused some sore muscles flinging that about on the end of a 4 foot pipe :oops:

I do the more usual clear crystal stuff too. Funny though, the unusual is what sells best.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Gadje wrote: Funny though, the unusual is what sells best.
Everyone wants to be different :) You are indeed a very talanted chappy. OK so it may not pay the rent, but I like it :)

Falcon.. can you make them a bit smaller... my screen isn't big enough ;)

G
I fear no beer

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:27 pm

lol!

The 'fish' look like they came out a John West sardine tin to me :D

sometimes images work sometimes not.

Bit hard to explain but the 'fish' are made from coloured glass and are encased within clear glass i.e they are melted on while the glass is a solid ball then more clear glass is gathered over it, and then its blown. A bit like drawing on a balloon, then blowing it up. Anything can happen. Thats half the fun :)