Kursk Campaign

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Kursk Campaign

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:09 pm

Check out your score and those of your mates here (might want to bookmark link ;) ) -

http://www.drunkengaming.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread is dedicated to the online Kursk Campaign being enjoyed by a portion of the Fightin' Irish Squad.

Please feel free to post suggestions, screenshots/tracks or make comments with regards to your missions.

--------------------

Time

As many already know, the Kursk Campaign is planned to be hosted each Wednesday evening at 10:00 p.m. Atlantic Time (9:00 p.m. Eastern / 8:00 p.m. Central / 7:00 p.m. Mountain / -4 GMT).

If for some reason I cannot host, I will try to provide ample notice beforehand.

As :FI:Snoop Baron hosts training sessions at this time as well, future sessions will be limited to approximately 1 hour when requested. If training is not planned for a particular Wednesday, subject to interest, the session may last for a maximum of 2 hours (midnight in the Maritimes ;) ).

--------------------

DCG Settings

Missions created by DCG are now using the following parameters:

Flight Density - Dense
Column Density - Full
Stationary Object Density - Heavy
Action Radius - 50 kilometres

These parameters were set only at Moderate during our first session. I will continue to monitor server and game performance as we continue. I welcome feedback in both these areas.

Also, I have turned off transfer missions. Between sessions, if necessary, I will relocate squads manually.

--------------------

What is DCG?

The missions are being generated by a popular third-party IL-2 campaign generator known as Dynamic Campaign Generator (DCG). Here's an explanation of what DCG is from the creator of this wonderful generator for your information:

"Based on the Dynamic Campaign Generator for Combat Flight Simulator 2, this program generates dynamic campaigns for both IL-2 Sturmovik, IL-2 Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters by Maddox Games.

Over time, the front lines will shift, airfields may be captured and recaptured and objects appear and disappear. Squadrons will transfer closer to the front as friendly ground forces advance or bug-out should the enemy break-through.

Armor, truck columns, and trains will also move from city to city during missions and ships from harbor to harbor, starting the next mission at the city or harbor moved to in the previous mission. Build ups of guns and armor will also appear at the "front" and captured locations will have new defences generated.

IL-2 DCG will also track plane losses, pilot deaths, and the replacement of both, awards and promotions, as well as the destruction and replacements of moving vehicle and tank columns, trains, and ships, and static ground defenses. All in all, DCG offers IL-2 players a dynamic world in which to fly."

For further information please visit Paul's website at http://www.lowengrin.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

--------------------

Icons

Presently icon assistance is being provided (as well as Map and Speedbar). The mp_dotrange settings allow for plane type and friendly names within 2 kilometres.

--------------------

Guidelines

I believe our fist session went very well. It appeared everyone enjoyed most of the missions. Our number one goal everytime is to have lots of fun and enjoy each other's company! ^:)

As many folks enjoy the immersion that historical campaigns can provide, please consider the following suggestions:

(a) Read all your briefings, and try to always fulfill your objectives, including following your flight paths.

(b) Only use externals when no longer active in the mission, and try to refrain from providing assistance to active pilots (Keppoch [-X :D ).

(c) Feel free to fly for either side at any time, as well as choosing what specific assignment you would like to try when you have opportunity.

(d) Notwithstanding (c) above, it is more challenging when folks choose to fly on BOTH sides, and I would encourage this as much as possible.

(e) Provided there are enough players, consider the use of the RED and BLUE TeamSpeak channels to help reduce comm chatter and enhance teamplay.

But above all else, as mentioned, please just have fun and try to help out your teammates when you can!

--------------------

Music

While not required, if your system can handle the additional resources of playing music, you may enjoy the added immersion of having this option turned on.

Feel free to download this .wav file - http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/ohearns/IL- ... efing1.wav (Save Target As) and place it in your sample\sounds directory. This will add background music while you read your briefings during this campaign.

--------------------

Record Keeping

I intend to maintain an ongoing tabulation of all those who participate in this campaign. While not as comprehensive as I would like, it will provide us with basic information that I hope you guys will find interesting.

Please report any errors that may occur during the course of this campaign.

Also, your ranking and awards will reflect what side you flew in your last mission. Your totals are unaffected of course.

----------

Any questions or problems with regards to the campaign please drop a comment here in this thread.

TactS!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:18 am, edited 20 times in total.
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:55 pm

thats wrong i never died :( I was happy cuz i was alive all the time!!! I think ur stattracker gave me the screw!
:: napier ::

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:25 pm

Really mate? That's what it says. Are you joking or serious? Crash land maybe?

Let me know mate.
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:57 pm

yeah i didnt, never even landed once. Just flew around :)

if nothing else, i knew i shot snoop down in the last one hehe and hes alive, i want a recount i tell ya!!

:D

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:30 am

Ok cry bady I'll edit the stats. Hope I don't accidentially remove that shinny medal from your stats. ;)

All better check Napier! :)

And no Snoop, sorry I'm not adding any kills for YOU. You will need to earn them!
Last edited by :FI:TacticalS! on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:50 am

:FI:napier wrote:if nothing else, i knew i shot snoop down in the last one hehe and hes alive, i want a recount i tell ya!! :D
Yes I clearly remember that great dogfight. Did Snoop bail out? DCG doesn't show any deaths for him. :-k Maybe this is incorrect? Please let me know guys I would be happy to place a "1" under Mr. Baron's Death column. :D

My logs are overwritten at the start of each mission, but I can look at the Pilot information DCG keeps. Double check your logs when you take a look at my score sheet (which will usually be updated by the next day).

----------

BTW Napier, can you post a screen shot of Snoop's plane at the end of that dogfight?
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:35 am

Thanks mate. Like you said, the thing i like these campaigns is the immersion. I like to try and fly smart during this missions like a pilot might :lol:

I really enjoyed them, a few things I thought of..

1) i think we could use some more opposition. Kep, six, and snoop provided some much needed axis power when they flew on that side. The FW's did a nice jump on us, almost got me! When we flew cover for the il2s there was no axis there, or even flak, maybe add some cover over there? Maybe have the axis fly into our zone to patrol so they dont go home and land.

2) I like the choice to fly CAP or bomb. I think it would be good for some mandatory cover for the il2s. Did the axis do bombing missions? Maybe i just missed em, but itd be cool if our mission was to protect a supply line or bridge or something.

Other than that, really enjoyed flyin with all you mates and i look forward to the next one! Thanks tact!

S!

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:58 am

I would love it too if those who like Axis planes flew them. While I can fly either side, my experience has mostly been Allied. Thanks goes out to Ardmore and Keppoch who initially chose to go Axis for the added challenge!

I have tweaked some things that should provide an even tougher AI enemy next time. ;)

DCG is very dynamic - read unpredictible. ;) Presently have a lot of settings on random. Just like real war sometimes you may be acting on incorrect/dated intelligence.

If the online stuff plays out like my Single Player Campaign, there out to be lots of surprises and twists once the campaign starts marching along.

------------------

Snoop are you able to clarify your actual Death count mate? BTW Keppoch, I remember you were having a lot of trouble, but no deaths right mate?

TactS!
napier
Forum Junky

Post by napier » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:02 am

cant wait!

Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:47 am

:FI:napier wrote:Thanks mate. Like you said, the thing i like these campaigns is the immersion. I like to try and fly smart during this missions like a pilot might :lol:
While I'm looking forward to some good laughter, I too am trying to fly more intelligently as if this was the real deal. :shock:
:FI:Up-n-at-'em
Boardie

Post by :FI:Up-n-at-'em » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:22 am

Welll....My wife unplugged my joystick once so I hit esc,
& I know I survived the unopposed IL2 sortie.
As I recal I died twice but did so stylishly. I think i should get points for that. :lol:

But more important, Snoop rollled his Swiss Cheese-mobile into the ground, I saw the whole thing ossifer! No chute, just a small Whelping sound, like someone stepped on his toe or something.

4 deaths is a small penalty to pay for having Helo show me that awesome cannister stuff.

"Ah love the smell of napalm in the morning....

:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:44 pm

Despite my network problems (someone on my net kept downloading movies while I tried to fly...) I did have a good time :D

Well I guess I'm a valued prize :lol: Ok so Napier finaly learned how to shoot and my plane finally hit the ground ;). Are you sure he didn't have unlimited amo :lol: ? That hax0r :p Well you might have seen me hit the ground, but my pilot is pretty tough (he works out a lot) and he managed to limp away from that wreck ;) Really :lol: Ok, so napy got me :D He put up a very good fight ^:)

Don't worry tact next time when I actualy get to engage the enemy more than once before getting disconnected I'm sure I'll add to my kill count :D

I have a Q will DCG keep track of you stats if you disconnect before the mission ends? That way if you are tired of watching externals you could quit play some QMB while you wait for the next round and then rejoin.

I had a great time and I think this will only get better. If you change it so that the transfer flights are removed and maybe add some more planes and maybe some AAA at the airfields it would be great :). I'm looking forward to next Wednesday.

s!
Snoop
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:09 pm

Not sure Snoop.

I have adjusted some of the settings. Transfer missions are gone, I have interceptions @ 100%, and on the advice of Tailspin I will try a 50 km action radius (not to be confused with flight distance), maxed column density and dense static objects.

If things go well I'll try increasing the flight density next time. I think the interception value should be the key to ensure action each mission, provided folks stick to their flight paths.

I may have an active flight of 1943 Spits as requested for next week as a "treat."

TactS!
:FI:Snoop Baron
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Snoop Baron » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:23 pm

That sounds good Tact, I look forward to seeing how this effects the next set of missions :D Thanks for putting all the effort into this :D

Could you change my number of missions flown from three to two as I believe I was only able to fly two missions from start to finish without getting disconnected.

s!
Snoop
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:22 pm

Sure but you still was DESTROYED by Napier my evil apprentice! :D