Go Raibh Maith Agat!

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Go Raibh Maith Agat!

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Had a great time last night guys- thanks for your patient help with the "mike problem". Now I just have to figure out what's up with not being able to host. I have cable and a powerful enough PC, I should be able to host a few co-ops if we can get it sorted.
Again, thanks for putting up with me!
Slán,
Tadgh ;)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:24 pm

it was indeed a great time there Murph

always the ever vigilant recruiter ...

you have applied haven't you?

We couldn't let a nice Irish boy like you slip away y'know?!

Fal "mute switch" con

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:31 pm

Most times, inability to host is down to either firewall not being configured correctly (port 21000 blocked) or home router not being set up to forward port 21000 to the correct PC.

G
I fear no beer

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:38 pm

Falcon; Yes I applied some months ago, but don't often have a lot of time to commit, so I can only check in one in a while.
Gurberly; What you say makes sense, but I'll probably need a step by step to get it done. I have a Dlink router if that's any help. I also have Zonealarm free edition with my firewall set to "medium", although I was not able to host last night even with the firewall turned off.
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:01 pm

Whammied on two fronts ;)

ZoneAlarm Free is or was a bit funny...well it was a couple of years back. When you disabled it, it did not completely eradicate itself from memory as if it were not installed or not running. It still left it's vector control software (?) running which effectively scuppered any attempt to host.

It used to be the case that with the free version, you had to uninstall it to host as the free version does not allow you to configure ports and automatically blocks access to them by default. The more advanced versions of ZoneAlarm (or Kerio or Norton) allow you to create rules that allow access.

To host using a router, you have to go into the router management utility and forward packet received on port 21000 to the IP address of the host PC.

How many PC's behind the router?

G
I fear no beer

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:23 pm

Two PCs behind the router- I have to go offline for a bit but perhaps I could find you on TS in an hour or so and you could talk me through this?
BTW, I used to be able to host despite using Zonealarm, and now find I can't, so I think it should'nt be neccessary to uninstall it if I can get it configured properly.
Deathsledge
The Unforseeable

Post by Deathsledge » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:56 pm

yep, ZA is pretty flakey, i had the same issues as you mentioned G, i uninstalled the program and got system ini issues, good thing it was on this machine here at work, hehe :lol:
There are two things that are infinite in life, human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not too sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:43 pm

Don't get me wrong, ZA is a great product, it works well and they made a free copy too. Can't really fault them for that. I just wish more people used it :) In the past I had issues with it , could be that those are now fixed.

With multiple PC's behind the router, quite often the router acts as the DCHP host and assigns IP addresses for example starting 192.168.1.1 to 256 to whichever PC comes online first.

You'll need to assgn a static IP address to both PCs then have the router point port 21000 to the IP address of the host PC

Next question is how to assign the IP address to the PC, but it's Sunday evening, I've had a shit week, I wanna fly .....

G
I fear no beer

Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:10 pm

Understood- have fun. I did some checking and found out how Dlink does port forwarding- it's under "special services".
Maybe some night this week we can hook up, or perhaps next weekend. I sure appreciate the help.