Pegasus Bridge

Everything that got nothing to do with games we play ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
Grecian
Postmaster

Pegasus Bridge

Post by Grecian » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:35 pm

Bloody hell this level is hard :shock:

I've completed the 101st Airborne section, this first level of the British section I'm having trouble completing, playing as Vetran.

Any tips from you COD masters :?:

I can usually get as far as knocking out the first three tanks, but always seem to get killed while on the flak gun :!:

Obviously I could keep hitting the quick save at frequent intervals, but this just seems like another form of cheating to me :shock:

Help :!:
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:44 pm

um, don't you use the flack gun, only once?
to kill the first tank, then use the panzerfausts that are behind the bunker...
May be wrong did it quite a while ago :?
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:13 pm

I think your right just found the panzerfausts in the bunker :oops:

Try again this evening :D

Mind u my first inclination is to curl up in the corner of the bunker until it's all over :shock:

Which is almost certainly what I'd do in real life :idea:
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots..." Frank Spencer.

:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:36 pm

I think that particular mission is the toughest there is.... it's certainly the one that took me the longest to complete.

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Fenian
Just pink and fluffy

Badlerdash!

Post by :FI:Fenian » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:19 pm

The toughest is the Russian mission after the sniping and sewers - where you have to clear the house and destroy all the tanks and kill the nazis and ... wait for reinforcements and ... and.... I didn't know there was a 'quick save' function...:(

Wait till you get to REd square too mate.... or just before... knocking out tanks is FUN.

P.S. never run in a straight line. Especially in Stalingrad ;)
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:19 pm

Speaking from personal experience...

Play the level for about ten hours straight. ;) By this time you will have become one with the game. You'll know exactly where the tanks appear from, exactly where enemy soldiers appear, exactly where the med packs are (although this isn't much use if you're playing on the hardest setting :) ), and with a lot of luck you'll make every shot count, panserfaust or otherwise!

Mneh, that's not much use...

...as far as tactics go, use cover. Alternate between the bunker and the house beside it (or more exactly the wall behind the house which is low enough in one place to allow you to take out two of the tanks - but be careful as enemy troops hop over this from time to time). Keep a sub machine gun armed at all times except when engaging the Panzers.

But trust me, stick with it! After a while, a long while, you'll enter into a sort of spiritual rapport with the game and when you beat the level you'll be left thinking "gosh that was easy"

Then you'll mince the rest of the game, and have some good skills to bring online!

Always attack to defend, though... I don't know how many times I got caught with my pants down, cowering in a corner thinking I was safe. Don't cower! Let enemy corpses do the cowering...

Play It Cool

-Moog

PS: I was at the site of the real Pegasus Bridge this summer after having played the level on Call of Duty. It was strange how much I knew about the real place just from playing the game! Also, the owner of Café Gondré threatened to call the police because my step-father refused to pay prices that weren't printed anywhere. IIRC a simple crèpe cost about €12... we were a hungry family of five so you can imagine the cost of a 'light lunch' times five came as something of a surprise seeing as there was no indication of cost prior to receiving the bill.
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:48 am

Ok done that bit now :D

But bloody hell I'm now stuck on another :!: :roll: :oops: :(

At the airfield damn Captain keeps screaming at me to get on the flak gun :roll:

Idiot ain't got enough savvy, to lay down sufficient covering fire, to stop me from being killed while I shoot the Stuka's down :?

How these guys get to be officers I'll never know :?: :?: :?:

Ok hints on this one :?:

Figure try and take out guys on roof before jumping on flak gun, take out Stuka's taking off, jump off flak gun shoot guys on roof some more, jump on flak gun shoot down Stuka's, jump off etc etc 8)

Is this the way to do it :?:

Or is there some trick I've missed :?: :idea:

Already tried about twenty or more times :!:

:FI:Moog
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Moog » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:38 am

Hmmm this is the failing of the single player game...

For the most part, SP, although scripted, is excellent. The experience is cinematic and genuinely exciting!

...but then there are moments like the airfield mission. To put it in an emoticon: ](*,)

Short of cheating with invincibility, there are no surefire solutions to this or to various other similar situations (Pegasus Bridge? Kharkov Train Station from UO? :) )

You're gonna have to set aside one or two hours and just go hammer and tongs at the game. Eventually you'll get into a rhythm and find some love, and accomplish the mission. By this point the game has ceased to be enjoyable and one solely seeks to progress to the next level in order to reaquire said fun!

I played single-player CoD from it's release up until around two months ago when I got broadband. Since being able to play multiplayer, the singleplayer mode has hardly had a look in save for nostalgiaic purposes. SP has moments that MP couldn't possibly recreate, but MP pits you against real people!

I guess this post lacks a focus... well, play through the SP before you go online... then you'll have a heap of fun all 'round. You still have the Russian campaign to get through. You thought these two levels were headbangin' hard? Just WAIT til you see Stalingrad! :badgrin:

Play It Cool

-(drunken)Moog
"Can that thing fire?"

Loopy Girdlekisser...
:FI:Spitsfire
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Spitsfire » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:22 am

:FI:Grecian wrote:Ok done that bit now :D

But bloody hell I'm now stuck on another :!: :roll: :oops: :(

At the airfield damn Captain keeps screaming at me to get on the flak gun :roll:

Idiot ain't got enough savvy, to lay down sufficient covering fire, to stop me from being killed while I shoot the Stuka's down :?

How these guys get to be officers I'll never know :?: :?: :?:

Ok hints on this one :?:

Figure try and take out guys on roof before jumping on flak gun, take out Stuka's taking off, jump off flak gun shoot guys on roof some more, jump on flak gun shoot down Stuka's, jump off etc etc 8)

Is this the way to do it :?:

Or is there some trick I've missed :?: :idea:

Already tried about twenty or more times :!:
I truned the flack gun and blasted the guys on the roof with it while I couldent see the planes :badgrin:
Winner of the FIS pink n'shiney,
"Gee winkies! I've been here over a year
and am still completely normal,
pookey-pookey-pookey." Award!
Kcid
Baby Boardie

Post by Kcid » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:20 pm

I also did everything with the flak gun, except the first guys on the root I did with sniper rifle. I had 2 stuka's going of the ground because of that, but hey I shot them down also. So use the flak gun it's your best friend :)
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
Just pink and fluffy

Ditto

Post by :FI:Fenian » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:02 pm

;)
_________

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong."
Oscar Wilde
:FI:TacticalS!
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:TacticalS! » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:37 pm

You hairy-chested fly boys are all the same! What, Normandy harder down here fighting in the mud, Grecian? :badgrin: Suck it up solider and get on with it mate! ;)

And the Fast Save is a cheat?! :shock: :D So is re-spawning after being killed but since the game doesn't track kills or deaths I don't see the point replaying an entire sequence. The real fun offline, besides experiencing graphically the missions, is learning how to tackle each assignment tactically.

Gee, so like we have various skirmishes that we must conquer tactically. What is my other gamer tag? Oh yes, TacticalSkirmish. Neat, eh? :lol:
Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:05 pm

Done it :D Now on to Stalingrad third level, enjoy using the sniper rifle 8)

Probably because they are the easiest missions :!:

Still no PF, so persevering with COD

Don't kow what the hell Amazon are up to, they were supposed to send it on the 22nd :? :roll:

Grecian
Postmaster

Post by Grecian » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:59 am

Jeez :? Now at the level where I need to knock out more tanks from the four storey apartment block :?

Every time I reach the first anti-tank gun on the second floor I die :shock: :)

Guess I don't get there fast enough :roll: :?:

Oh well persevere 8)

Kcid
Baby Boardie

Post by Kcid » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:35 am

You gotta be really sneeky like in real war, so sneek up to the gun, you know with the CTRL and SSSST then they won't see you Kcid whispers
It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.