The ongoing JG42 war

Dates, News and Comments

Should we skip the Moscow and move over to the Bessarabia campaign as soon as possible?

Yeah, let's move immeadiately!
25%
Yeah, ... but give Moscow further two weeks before moving over!
6%
Naw, me loves Moscow! Let's fight there to the bitter end!
44%
Where da beer ... again?
25%

Total votes: 16
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Re: January 20th, 2013

Post by Nephris » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 am

Well, I know what you mean.
We orientate our flights also n the brief/intel and wonder sometimes why there are none units.
When I am too much in doubt I check the mission file of the played mission the day after (which is linked for every ones view in the detailed single briefings) and I must admit the briefing in DCG has always been correct.

At the forwarded front area, I noticed shirmishes since around 4 missions, some fights weere already near Klementivo reported, although the front was still at Uvarovka (I10).Truck columns move across the front without being able to chabge the front. Those truck columns are also armedby light artillery pieces or 20mm flak. They are able to decrease the value at each location (the virtual troop count) by destroying enemy stationary objects.If just one tank is now able to pass the front and hold his position until the end of a mission, the front changes its values.A single tank is hard to detect when it stands besides the road even more in winter camo. Our flights alos consists by 2/3 in checking the road for enemy vehicles, never used to fly a fighter bomber that often.
When I value the intel reports for next mission correct, Red destroyed a lot of our armor
German forces are concentrated around Vyazma Depot (A-7).
I guess I will have to add expanded columns in the upcoming Kuban Campaign (like 12xT35/8xPzIV) instead the small ones used atm (4xtanks).Although the main targets will propbably be the supply ships transporting german columns.
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 am

Just a simple reminder:
Starting engines in front of Moscow today at 20h MET
^:|
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 am

Good Evening Pilots,
we really enjoyed those "human" dogfights this evening.
Red Troops were able to push forward in the area around Klementivo.
I guess we had just luck to intercept hordes of Il2 swarms heading for Vyazma.
Otherwise our complete backup would have been killed.

Who of you gave us that nice support? Wasnt it Armitage?
Much appreciated m8, there is always a pilot seat free for you on the good side :D

I updated the single briefings and the frontmap aswell.
The ServerCommanders problem ist, he cant read columns or moving vehicles.
[7:40:49 PM] 19_Chief3 destroyed by Nephris:Bf-109E-7 at 118555.65 38182.934
would be a corresponding line in the eventlog from where also the Server commander reads.
For determining 19_Chief3 the SC would have to check the corresponding mission file, witch he cant...bummer. That also means the SC cant read AI kills, as it is also called x_chiefX.
That is the reason why you cant see each kill, ashame but true.

Hope to see you next sunday again.
Greetz :wink2:
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Who of you gave us that nice support? Wasnt it Armitage
yes it was me. Stalin has sent to me to Gulag :-(

I'm still finding it hard to find the enemy ground targets. Any hints?
I updated the single briefings and the frontmap aswell.
The ServerCommanders problem ist, he cant read columns or moving vehicles
I was thinking about this. afaik the mission file contains all of the ground objects (names/type), available planes etc

so why doesn't he read the misison file, create an array of available objects and then as he parses the log file check the object id against that read from the mission file and this determine what was attacked/destroyed ?
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm

In fact it would be that easy, but it just dosent.
The tool our m8 is developing is doing that. I hope we can use a early beta version in march.
SC was developed for dogfight only and development stopped in 2006.
When you have a look to the mysql table , even max streaks are counted, but the stats page doesnt take profit of it - ashame.
I'm still finding it hard to find the enemy ground targets. Any hints?
We do either :)
But flying above 500/600 makes it exponential harder to recon the columns.
Before the mission you can still do "recon" for your own by checking the last mission, which file is linked in the detailed briefing.

Nevertheless we dont use the mission file of the last played misisons as we opened an own subfroum and develop our mission briefs for the upcoming event.
We collect our recon sights awhile the past mission, our suggestions on where to attack and our successful ground kills and assign missions 2 days before sunday to each group/Rotte , founded on our results. As soon as we recon a certain column we are able to guess his next route, as a column drives one location only per mission. On hand of the official intel reports for the next mission we suppose where action is mybe goin on aswell.

I think working together and sharing information before and awhile the missions is the key.
But I ve the feeling most ground columns are atm near their depots and just spawned 2 missions ago.
That of course means the columns need a few missions to get back to the front (you can count the locations on the map and thus the missions they need to get somewhere).
Awhile almost no ground forces are near the front, you can prepare the way for them, like destroying static defense positions,near the front, flattening airfields ,that tanks are supposed to pass.

I dont know how long the Moscow Campaign will keep run.
I had the impression Blue was on a good hunt, but we lost our main attack
strikers a few missions ago. So we ordered em rolling again from "Germany"...
However historic time keeps going on, and Red will get some plane updates soon.
I dont know the exact dates, but I guess the P39D1 and Lagg will be updated soon.
Blue will probably receive an updated Bf110 Version and Ju87D1, but a bit later than Red.
In march 1942 we will change to a non snow map ... although i guess the campaign will be done up to that time....or not?

I created a small FAQ for the DCG in german. By t5he help of Google translate you can check the result below.
I just fixed the most issues made by google. Tell me if u got probs in understanding.

Google Translation of DCG Pilot/User FAQ

Handouts to the DCG campaigns of JG42
The boundary line of campaigns that are generated through the DCG is dynamic.
Every player. but also the AI ​​can take different ways influence on the boundary. Besides the players are also training the artificial intelligences of their duties in the campaign.
The following questions and answers are intended to provide an overview for the understanding of the DCG.

When ends a campaign?
Each army has a main depot.Taking it ends the campaign.
Each army has a major airport.Taking it ends the campaign.
Taking all airports leads to the end of a campaign.
Taking a defined location leads to the end of a campaign (in the current Moscow Map it is Naro Fominsk and Vyazma ,check map)
The destruction of a given percentage of objects complets a campaign.

Where can I find my mission plan
During the DCG campaign in Dogfight mode, much emphasis should be placed on teamwork and information flow to combat ground forces. Through the briefing and debriefing the player but already hints about where battles take place and thus units could be found. Since they are fighting and mobile units, they do not wait to fight for the player and each other of course, thus it may happen that certain units have been wiped out before a player is on the ground. However, a flight to the De / briefing mentioned positions is always worthwhile and should be reviewed in order to prevent hostile breakthroughs early on.
Promises the greatest success, of course, the combat units in their feed. Visible enemy vehicles should with position information (grid square) are written to make it flow into the planning of the next mission. On which roads to move cars, will be discussed below.

Who is directly responsible for a change in the front curve?

Only tanks are able to move the border.

On which roads move troops on the ground?
The road network is created by the campaign creator.
In the specific case of the campaigns of JG42, the road network is shown on the map.
Each colourted point represents a location and its posession. Blue for Germany, red for the Soviets.
Following the points (callled locations) along a road and maybe crossings, show the routes columns can take.

What are locations?

Location belong to the road network and provide this. A column / vehicle moves within a mission between 2 location.
That means in plain English, the path of a vehicle within a mission, is bounded by 2 Location (from Departure and the destination, the destination is the follow-on mission to the starting point)
Each location has a certain value called Troop Count. This Troop Count is calculated from the value of the units stationed there. Each location has a standard of 20 Troop Count. A Flak has 5 points, there are 3 Flak .A location has its standard value plus the value of 3x5 = 15.All in all the location so has a value of 35.Further stationary. objects (objects that are blue or red)and armor around the location increase (no vehicle convoys) its value.
As soon as the troop count of a location increases below null, it will change its colour to the opposing side.

What are the tasks of the individual vehicles, vessels and columns?
Armored columns to change the value of a location for the benefit of their own army, and can thereby chnage the front.
Vehicle convoys can take over security duties and provide anti tank guns at a contested location.
Columns/Convoys also repair static objects (eg: a destroyed Flak 88, is renewed when a convoy has passed the location.
Trains transport units between stations, which can sometimes lead to significant time advantage, since the railway line often surpassed several location of the road network. The units are loaded at stations (spawn from the vehicle pool) and discharged at the next station. The stations involved are also marked on the map.
Unload ships carry columns from one to another and port.

What happens after the destruction of mobile vehicles
Destroyed moving vehicles fall into a "Spawnpool". By chance those vehicles/columns/convoys get spawned at depots, train stations or harbors.
Location where vehicles are spawned on the map again, are repositories (mostly at the edges of the card / road networks), stations (spawned as a freight train) or ports (spawned as cargo in the ship). The only aircraft that is able loading columns is the german Giant

How long and how far do move vehicles
Columns (truck or tank) move from the spawn point (depot, port, railway station) towards the front and farther towards the most opposite location.
Truck columns are not stopped by the frontline. As long as it doesnt get killed, the truck column keeps moving. The result is, that u read about battles in briefing in enemy territory, althought the front is far off.
Tanks move the same way, but move the frontline.

What happens to destroyed static objects
Destroyed stationary/static objects get repaired by passing truck columns of the corresponding side. Means a red column repairs red objects of course.

Influencing the spawn beahviour
A pilot can influence the spawn rate of the spawnpool
By destroying characteristic stationary vehicles (U.S. Truck, Opel Blitz, GAZ truck, Dry Cargo Ship, transport wagon) the spawn rate is decreasing (eg, there are 100 Opel Blitz, 50 thereof are destroyed, the spawn rate drops to 50%, only half as many units will spawn).

Influencing the movement rate

The player can influence the rate of movement by destroying static refueling vehicles (Opel Blitz Fuel, GAZ Truck Fuel, Liquid Cargo Ship, Fuel Wagon) (eg there are 100 fuel trucks, 50 are destroyed thereof, the movement rate falls to 50%, the remaining 50% remains in the next mission will be in place.

There are infinitely many planes
The aircrafts are limited. Each aircraft that is not safe or lands back in its own territory,
is subtracted from the total number, of the corresponding plane pattern. If the number of a certain pattern falls below a specified Minium, a next weaker or older aircraft will be offered as an alternative to limited numbers. (in a nutshell:3 x Bf109F4 are available, the minimum is 4 machines; in this case 3x Bf109E4 are replaced as substitution until the Bf109F4 were resupplied.) There are frequent but low supply deliveries each mission (3/squadron/mission), so the pattern can be re-filled.

Duties of civil aircraft
Transport aircraft (including C47, Li2, Ju52, giant), got the same tasks as vehicle convoys.
, landed at the airfield to take them to put static objects repaired. The Me323 was the only transporter can transport columns. Furthermore, transport aircraft settle paratroopers.
Reconnaissance (Fieseler Storch, FW189, runway bitch, R10) looking attractive targets for bombing in the follow-on mission.

Civilian aircraft and human pilots
Paratroopers can be deducted from players in the appropriate machine (Ju52, C47, Li2).
The drop must be done very precisely in the location.
The effect of a human player as a scout or as a transport machine has yet to be verified.

Paratrooper
There are certain location in the road network, which can be captured by paratroopers.
The paratroopers are sold through the venue to capture the location, set up a defensive position and wait for reinforcements either through its own troops or keep on the advancing enemy.

Static aircraft
Destruction of stat. Aircraft at an airport reduces the number of stat there. Squadron.
This includes the number of available there at the spawn point for players flying.

Bridges
Many roads lead to the campaign over bridges. A bridge is destroyed, so it takes up to 2 missions before the bridge is passable again.
During this time, towers are either waiting in front of the bridge, or to the extent planned by the creator, before taking an alternative route. But usually occurs former.

edit:
hell, Google deserves an Oscar for best comedian effort this evening for that translation #-o
I fixed certain passages but not all, ...just to keep the fun for ya :^o :D
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 am

Neprhis,
Question: Does the gray-colored parachute on the map indicate the place where a parachute drop WILL take place in the next mission, or the place where a parachute drop HAS ALREADY occurred in the mission just completed?
One more thing.
In the second mission on Sunday, I tried twice to fly a Pe-2 at the Istra Airfield (R-14). Each time, however, the spawn point placed my Pe-2 very close to a static Li-2 transport plane - so close that I could not taxi without crashing into it.
We had no outside views, but I knew the planes were VERY close together. I started only the left engine (the one closest to the Li-2), applied brakes, and added power to rotate my plane in the tightest possible circle away from the static - but even this extreme attempt was not enough, and the outer wing was ripped off my plane.
I then tried spawning a 2nd time in the Pe-2, but found myself at the same spawn point again, so I gave up and went to another field and a different plane.
Please see if you can locate and delete this spawn point if possible. (But if you can't, no worries. Plenty of other planes to fly! :D )

Thanks again to you and your crew. Appreciate everything you're doing. Also thanks for the translation above. I'm beginning to get a sense for this now, and have a better idea about how to locate ground targets. Knowing that soft target columns can move beyond front lines, and that these columns always move only from one "location" point to the next one along that road during one mission, is useful to understand. Our main difficulty with locating ground targets has been, I think, understanding these points along with the fact that columns are very small in this campaign (i.e. only 4 tanks maximum and only 1 column of soft vehicles at a time, maximum).
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 am

Hi buddy,
well the parachutes marks are the only places on this map,where parachutes are supposed to get dropped.
Parachutes are able to conquer a location and setup defense lines, like smal atni tank weapons etc
By default only transport planes like the Ju52 or Li2 is able to drop the paras.
Since we r able to fly transport planes on our human own, a player can drop those airborne himself.
Means a player flies to that paradrop location and drops the trroops as close as possible to the marked location.

The problem atm is, I wasnt able to implement flyable transport planes, but I guess i ll get that fixed soon.
However for the upcoming campiagn it is already working, so I guess it will work for our temporary campaign soon.
Those paradrop locations, trigger of course also AI transport planes to drop airborne troops.

Intentionally the map was created for single and coop play, so i never considered spawning players on the airfields.
So i used those static planes as targets and eye candy. I will chekc if I can deactivate the static planes at Istra airfield, I know it is more than anoying to crash at spawn.... :roll:

Hope to see ya tomorrow again. The best motivation is a full server :)
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 am

Hi folks,
thx again for joining. You d been successfull in pushing the frontline in the southern sector.
Thk god we stopped those 2 x tanks columns...
I updated the maps and the stats for each mission, which are again linked in our forum.
If you still see the map with 24.Feb and 22.Feb, update the browser (cache load) by pressing F5.

@Genosse, bridges are a tough oponent, isnt it... :D
I wasnt able to destroy any of those bridges with a 250kg SC in a chance of 1/10...
Since 4.10 those bombs got a kind off ripped off their testicals.
If historic or not, but it effects gameplay as it was used before.

The intel data for next weekend
Soviet forces are concentrated around Volokolamsk (M-15).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Iznoski Airstrip (J-5).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Klimov Zavod (H-3).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Volokolamsk (M-15).

FYI: civilian planes like the Li-2 should be available for players at spawnbases now.
Primary task for civilian planes are actually dropping paratroopers, althoug hit can carry bombs also imho.
Ashame we cant drop Paratroopers at each location but designated ones.
The refering location to drop paratroopers and where those boys can do their job,is marked by the paratroop icon on the map.
Paradrops should be within the half radius to the next location....in a nutshell, drop it as close to the marked point as possible and you will be fine.
I am sorry but there arent any points to earn for those suicide commands to drop paratroopers, but to act in the duty for your army.
In generell paratroopers setup fortified positions with little mg nests or artiller. Although paras arnt the most effective weapon vs tanks, but at least the occupied location changes the colour and enemy forces cant proceed without facing the infamous airborne troops.
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am

Hi folks
maybe you will find sth interested or usefull in the latest newspapers for the upcoming seesion on sunday.
(klick to enlarge)
^:|
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Well the army will be happy with the arrival of 12 T34s with a 76mm gun. Not sure about those light US M3A5s though.

Rumours abound that the Americans have shipped some P40-Es and P39-D1s to the Russian Front.

The Germans are now flying new versions of the BF-109F4 and BF110-E1
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

Hi folks,
thx again for your stay. We really enjoyed the dogfights vs your pilots.
I felt a bit sorry for Sneaky whos Li2 was ripped off by 3 Bf109F4, he gave his best though.

I dont know who that guy with the La7 was, as he left. Is he a member of yours?
Just chekced the squadron editor panel, but there was no La7 in, so I am really suprised by that bug.
I also noticed that Helo tried to join, but wasnt able to.

Shall we setup a test dedicated, so he can check some settings?

Blue was able to push the fornt in south, but it took us almost 5 missions work to prepare the way for our troops there.Means the past 4 or 5 mission our 4 pilots tried to clean the area around Yukhnov and Izsnoski.
However I guess Red will push forward at Volokolamsk in the north, so I expect an interesting run for the next mission.
This time we had less AI planes in air, as the past missons led to heavy losses, but resupply is on its way, also for AI planes.

We hope you still enjoy your stay, and keep posting any problems or wishes and questions.

The usual debreifing stuff and single stats and the map got updated, as always. :)
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 am

Nephirs as usual thanks for all the hard work in organising this war.

I think there is a little issue with the stats. If you have a look at at the stats on the main page http://nephris.ath.cx/il2sc_stat/index.php I have 23 ground kills recorded.

If you go to my detail page http://nephris.ath.cx/il2sc_stat/index. ... index.html I have 46 ground kills and if you go my all ground kills page I have over 60 ground kills. http://nephris.ath.cx/il2sc_stat/index. ... index.html

I think the total is not counting all of the unknowns and also that once of the totals counts static planes and the others do not.

Can someone have a look at this ?
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm

That is correct.
The SC struggles in counting objects either due the mod or due 4.11.1
I really hope our own tool will be working soon, as FBDj cant deal properly with DCG without massive work adjusting single mission settings (counting planes etc) and SC is an old whore u cant make a virgin of anymore.
I adapted several new objects or renamed objects for the SC but it keeps counting buggy.
The most liable stats are still the single stats of each mission.

I fear by the release of 4.12 we will get a few more problem to all stats tools, as 4.12 will count also shared kills....
Ashame and we are also not satisfied with the situation, but we cant do anything atm, sorry.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm

what language are you using ? I might be able to help.
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Do u mean for the new stats tool?
I will have to ask our m8 for that.