The ongoing JG42 war

Dates, News and Comments

Should we skip the Moscow and move over to the Bessarabia campaign as soon as possible?

Yeah, let's move immeadiately!
25%
Yeah, ... but give Moscow further two weeks before moving over!
6%
Naw, me loves Moscow! Let's fight there to the bitter end!
44%
Where da beer ... again?
25%

Total votes: 16
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Re: January 20th, 2013

Post by Nephris » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:02 am

After a few more guys moaned about none existing total stats I took a "few moments" on the couch while watching "an idiot abroad" (Karl Pilkington is a real island monkey...hell where did u find him :D ) and updated the total stats for our past sunday missions.

Flights that did not end on ground (landed,crash,killed) couldnt be counted for the stats.
These flights are noted under "Start" & "in Luft" (in air).
Streaks are not touched by those flights.

Find the total stas here(goggle tranlated version)
I guess it will be updated on the FTP tomorrow after work around 20h.
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 am

Hi Nephris. Thanks again for all the excellent work on the missions, mate, and for the extra trouble of doing stats.

Sunday was a difficult day for the FI. I believe more of us should have weighed in with opinions about switching to a dogfight server. It's our own fault that we didn't, though. :FI:Helo is unable to select an airfield in a dogfight server (ANY dogfight server) - he's unable to fly on them at all right now. So he showed up early only to be left out. We also have 2 more pilots who really struggled with taxiing. Helo is trying to fix his problem, but has been unable to do it for many months now. Hopefully he can figure it out. The other 2 guys could improve - if they would practice offline, which we continue to encourage. We hope they will - we lost at least 3 planes and 2 pilots killed due to ground operations! :cry: But these our our own issues - nothing for you to worry about.

On the positive side, most of us arrived early or on time this week. I love the idea of extending missions to 90 minutes, and believe the others will too. Hopefully we'll overcome our issues and adjust to the dogfight server itself, but 30 more minutes will be much better. It took us 15 minutes just to form a plan and get off the ground on Sunday's first mission.

Personally I like dogfight servers most of the time, but I prefer coop missions for an online war. They give a better opportunity to plan each mission. Dogfights are very rushed, and group cohesion breaks down quickly. On the other hand this is a great new experience/challenge for us. I'm sure we'll keep having fun & also learn how to better plan in the dogfight environment.

I will be away this coming Sunday, but hope to be back in action on 2/24. Best of luck to all... but mostly Red! :badgrin:
"Za Rudina!!"

Blue2 ^:)
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am

He is sort of attached to the squadron, not sure if he ever joined officially. We are fairly relaxed about that.

I think the comment may have been a joke at his expense! At one point one of our guys, Pike, said he thought he saw a 109, but then I did a pass over the plane and it was a Yak with red stars. I said "if its a 109 it's wearing red stars" as a joke, because Pike has a bit of a reputation for shooting down team mates!

Sorry if that caused any confusion :oops:
Olegs stalker

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 am

Whether ir's to do with the runway friction settings IDK; but a few of found that full brake and full left rudder were needed to stop the AC spinning right. I was only able to ease off once some speed had been gained, or rolling off the taxiway. This was more noticeable on Il2s than the Yaks

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Whether ir's to do with the runway friction settings IDK; but a few of found that full brake and full left rudder were needed to stop the AC spinning right.
I guess this could have sth to do with the gusts and turbulences.
We noticed same issues at our starts with the 109.

He is sort of attached to the squadron, not sure if he ever joined officially
I was just wondering as I couldnt move him to any of us nor your squad members.
So no prob at all. :)

I myself also prefer coop mod before dogfight mode, due the same reasons you mentioned. But getting 15+ pilots from all over the world (well almost) under one hat can be a bit tricky.Which would lead to extended waiting times for some to join, which then of course leads to frustration as you took your time to fly and not to wait, so we took the compromise of a 2x2 mission moving dogfight server.

I still hope to get the FBDj working properly with the stats, so we got it updated automatically. But i hope we are just on the beginning in flying DCG Campaigns together, so I am sure we will get that fixed someday.

Edith sais:
Total Stats are online now.
Last edited by Nephris on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Nephris wrote:
Whether ir's to do with the runway friction settings IDK; but a few of found that full brake and full left rudder were needed to stop the AC spinning right.
I guess this could have sth to do with the gusts and turbulences.
We noticed same issues at our starts with the 109.

Possibly, but once your AC has turned 90-180deg gusts should blow it back to the left. Poor old Pike was doing donuts on the hardstanding and Jester just made it into the hangar , though not via the door :badgrin: . My moneys still on friction mod.
Its that or we assign the groundcrew to minefield clearance for not de-icing the brake shoes!

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Nephris thanks for the stats and the hard work on running the War.

I like the stats as you a feeling for how you are doing and how the War is progressing for Red/Blue.
Medals, Eamonn ,Seriously!!
I like my medals. Encourages me to keep my pilot alive. I'm alive since I started the war, 4 missions approx 5 hours flying time, landed 3 times, bailed once over home base after nursing an IL2 home with no rudder, no elevators, partial ailerons and holes in the wing.

Medals are good!

You should come join us Dec
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm

We or better said "Chaos" is creating atm an own eventlog Reader, to create tables into a php site.
The first attempts looks promising so far, that way we can probably keep all kills you did when we start using that tool.

Our problem is atm the server commander , which is actually best for use with DCG, as it copies/uses own DCG settings (planes quantities) ,but I cant get the "Fog of war" (reports were action is going on) nor the Death limit working. At least the "Death Kick" would be important.

I can absolutely understand Armitage. My motivation to fly more precise and less risky comes at second also from the stats/streak, at first my motivation is to move the frontline and to plan certain missions for certain situation, as we got now or will get soon ... :-$

If you check the map, red can take Ghatzk Airfield, blue can take Uvarovka. In my opinion both are key positions, although far off the direct way to victory (blue-> Naro Fominsk /red-> Vyazma Airfield).

Just as fair note, as I just posted that to the german forum aswell. You notice the points on the map wich represent the road system (...ffs already posted that above..),the industry icons marking most facilities, which total numbers take influence on armies`movement (fuel) and "production rate" (vehicle spawn rate).Like 50% fuel facilities destroyed just 50%of a column will move/spawn.
Vehicle Coloumns only can repair those stationary objects again and the production rate or fuel rate will rise again.
Feel free to check older mission files to locate those facilities near Vyazam (for Red).

I also noticed and tested, that human paratroop drops (with Li-2 or Ju52) at dedicated locations on the map, are counted by DCG. Means if a plane drops paratroopers at a _Dropzone location, these guys take the location and install defense position until they get backup or get killed. However they prevent the enemy from rushing forward. You cant always see the success on the map ,as a single frontflag deosnt create a new front axis but maybe a bulk (as we had at Uvarovka).
So in short that means, pilots that are not really interested in combat but civil flights, paradrops would be an alternative.
I will edit the map, so you can see what locations are Dropzones.

I will have to check if landing theses transport planes (Li-2 or Ju52) at damaged or destroyed airfields will repair the artillery of all kind and stationary objects aswell like stationary tanks or cars. Repairing these objects increase the troop count(virtual number of infantry) at that location. The more enemy objects are destroyed at a location, the less troop count the location has

I will also have to chekc if flying recon planes over certain locations with enemy presence will trigger AI strikes (bomber,divebomber,figher bomber)in the following mission.At least successful Ai recon flights trigger these events in the following mission, so probably the same if a human pilot does recon flights.

The Squadron Management is enabled, means crashed or shot planes will lead to a loss of an armies` total plane number, this belongs to static planes also.If you got 1 Yaks (of 8 at max.) less, the downgrade will kick in and your flight will maybe filled with Ratas (dunno the exact downgrade line). A squadron get 2/planes/mission for backup, but that doesnt mean it will save hundreds of planes.As soon as the max number of (e.g) 8 is reached, the backup stops.Is the number of planes filled, the mentioned downgrade turns back and the squadron flies Yak again.

I hope you can follow my english here...I sometimes lost the red line in rereading it :D
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm

doublepost.... :roll:
Last edited by Nephris on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Blast over Moscow tomorrow at usual times.
Begin :20h met
Mission duration 90min each
2 missions at all = 3h

Missions finished in flight wont be valued.

Our m8 chaos develops an own stats parser
adapted for our use but aswell for universal use,although a bit late for Il2 would obe mean,but who knows how long we will keep playing this game.
All stats,kills will be saved within the eventlog and loaded into the parser as soon
as the tool is finished,so no kills will be lost.

As a quick reminder,plz keep posting your wishes for upcoming campaigns
like year,side,planes and whatever else,the more the better.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Missions finished in flight wont be valued
does this mean if the missions ends but I haven't landed then the 20 ground targets I destroyed won't be counted?
so no kills will be lost
but does this mean my air kills are always counted even if I don't land?

I think if you are still flying at mission end then you are alive, safe and your plane was not destroyed.
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 am

Hi folks,
hot ride this evening, but full of good fights!
Did you know about our plan with the bombers before or was it just by chance to intercept us?
Hoenstly? At the end we discussed public about it :lol:

We crashed that much planes, that I fear we have to fly Hs123 in coming missions...
I forgot to adjust the difficulty settings correct, thus we had a lil mess in it.
By default we fly with speedbar enabled and outside view enabled on ground (for locating own position at the airfield)
The front map got updated. As I already posted, we are developing an own tool that gives us all
stats we desire, like streaks and stuff.

For the meantime, awhile we cant use the tool , the default stats page of the Server Commander counts the stats. I linked the page also to the our forum (regular statistic link) and as well hereThe stats done before are not added to the stats page of server commander.
I hope you understand that I cant count kills by hand anymore, as i could actually hire a student for that.. :lol:
The detailed briefing of each mission, is linked in our forum as always.

All eventlogs form last missions got safed to my HDD and will be processed by the new tool when its ready.
All your kills made since your first flight in the campaign, up to the moment the new tool will be released, will be added to the new stats page.None will be lost.Also medals etc will be adwarded on your made stats.

If a pilot doesnt land his plane, the kills he made in this flight are not counted, as the pilot didnt return his points home.
A successful mission ends where it it began, safe on the ground.

I hope to see ya next sunday 24.02.13 again.

This is the intel report for next sunday 24.02
German forces are concentrated around Vyazma Depot (A-7).
Soviet forces are retreating from Yukhnov (I-2).
Soviet forces are retreating from Klementievo (N-11).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Klementievo (N-11).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Iznoski Airstrip (J-5).
Reports indicate that there is intense fighting at Yukhnov (I-2).
Heavy fighting reported at Volokolamsk (M-15).
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Did you know about our plan with the bombers before or was it just by chance to intercept us
Just luck. I was in an IL2 flying to H11 and I noticed the bombers forming up around 4000m with fighter support so I informed our Valient Fighter wing of your location and course and they did the rest. I was surprised you didn't spot me....
If a pilot doesnt land his plane, the kills he made in this flight are not counted, as the pilot didnt return his points home.
A successful mission ends where it it began, safe on the ground.
This though is tricky. Say I shoot down a blue plane with 1 minute to go to mission end and I don't have time to land.
So I don't get the kill points but what happens to the human player that was shot down? I assume he is still dead and that the number of flyable planes is reduced by one ?

Am I considered dead as well ? What happens to the plane count on my team ?
Nephris
Professional Boardie

Post by Nephris » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 pm

So I don't get the kill points but what happens to the human player that was shot down?
The shot pilot and his plane (either human or AI) are counted dead/lost.
The shooter gets all his kills when he lands.
Am I considered dead as well ? What happens to the plane count on my team ?
The flight of a not landed pilot will be considered as flight without results, as the plane is not damaged it wont be substracted from the plane counter.All kills made in this flight will be counted by DCG in total, means a destroyed tank will be substracted from enemies armor and help to push the front.The personal stat wont be effected by a not landed flight. In the new stats tool we try to mark those flights as "in flight" to keep record of it (the temporary solution we took by the server commander stat page, counts also none landed flights).

The reason why we dont want to count results for not landed planes are different,
-not to reward "disconnectors" (e.g. a pilot made 3 kills in his flight, then he suffers by a six, takes heavy damage and is actually considered as "shot down",but as soon as he disonnects his flight results would be counted and he can reconnect even without an adding death count. That is not fair, as he the pilot was actually shot (hope u can follow my english here).
-not to make the event become a typical dogfight bash
-to keep the least character of a seroius coop mode, in planing a flight from start to land and reward the pilot for that.
- a successfull landing procedure owes to a flight aswell as the start procedure.A fifth of the total plane number gets increased by landing damages.

Plz tell me when u start suffering under the plane loss that much, that it spoils fun.
As soon as both sides suffer, I will have to increase the plane resupply.

Did u notice any problems, by not available planes?
Like some of the blue seem not to be used to take care of the planes, and were shocked when they got kicked after the warn messages (using a limited planes).The typical commands are <planes,<lives,<weapons,<gunstat,<recon grd,<recon air, and <warn .
Of course the campaign or the server commander was supposed to have made an error ....
We considered to deactivate the plane limits given by DCG, but we think this is a important feature and thus an army is able to take advantage of taking care of their planes.

Plz report pilots that disconnects and try to escape that way form their kill (e.g. in dogfight).
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Nephris your entire post makes sense. I understand what you are trying to do.

We seemed to have run out of IL2 field mod planes in the second mission. Not sure why.

We attacked the targets and destroyed nearly everything in N11 first mission but the germans still pushed forward.

Also no targets around H11 but mission brief says there was?

Great job on running this war.