Eastern Front Grand Campaign - Worklog

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Dr_Strangelove
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:17 am

Wanted to check and see how things are going with this. I almost have the Smolensk thing completly nailed. It will need some testing in a few weeks possibly.

Anyone else make any progress?
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:56 am

Hi Strangelove - and sorry for the delay in replying.

I have just about finished a 20 mission Crimea campaign for summer 42 - prelude to Stalingrad. I have tested all the missions offline and they work fine. Some of the briefs need a bit of work but that is not a long job.

I have now done 13 missions for Stalingrad - and I have some ideas for a few more - so will probably get up to 20 for that area as well. I think around 20 is enough for each phase. Again I need to do a bit more work on the briefs.

The "Pearl to Japan" campaign usually gets through 3 or 4 each Sunday as you know so there would be at least 8 weeks based on 40 missions. I think the Eastern Front missions will be shorter - less distance to target - so we might be able to get more done in an evening.

Still haven't been able to get my hosting issues resolved - to be honest I have not tried for a few weeks. If I can get that sorted out then I will host a few on HL as online tests.

When I have finished the Stalingrad missions I can start on something else - maybe we should have a chat on TS some time and decide on next steps with all those who are contributing to this?
Olegs stalker

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Sounds like a plan Nellip. Excellent that you are making so much progress too. I am always around Sundays before the sessions. We can try to get together this coming Sunday and have a brief talk about what is going to happen. Currently the Smolensk campaign is near it's final testing stages as well with only the briefings and a few minor tweaks left.
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:01 pm

Sounds great!

But how do we cram all these campaigns in?!

If we want to keep it on a Sunday, would it be possible to rotate them;

play Smolensk one week, Crimea the next and then back to the Pacific on the third?

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:27 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Sounds great!

But how do we cram all these campaigns in?!

If we want to keep it on a Sunday, would it be possible to rotate them;

play Smolensk one week, Crimea the next and then back to the Pacific on the third?

F
Hi Stu

I think the original plan was for this Eastern Front stuff to start when "Pearl to Japan" was completed.

Personally I would not mind a change from the Pacific theatre - these long flights over water and navigation are a bit tough for me - so maybe we could rotate.

I notice in the sessions thread for PtoJ that Ardmore cannot host next weekend so maybe we could try either Smolensk or Crimea? If we have the custom skins available for the aircraft that would be used maybe we could try them out as well?

What do you think?
Olegs stalker

Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 pm

All right everybody!!!

I want each and every one of you to grab a skinner and shake him until he gives up his skins!

They are doing a VERY time-intensive job

that at times can get VERY tedious,

but if you give them a hard time, they just might finish up this week ...

or so.

I would NEVER mention any skinner's names here, but would it too sneaky of me to make noter of the late skins snafu?

~~~

Yes, a brief switch over to the Steppes would be nice ...

as long as I can fly my P-51 or my Ki-43!

jk

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

OK so whats the planeset then?

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:43 pm

Yak-7's done and uploaded
TB-3's done and uploaded
109-E's done waiting for green light on uploading Axis
Stuka needs numbers added
190-D9 and Me262 need numbers added (bit late for these campaigns though)
He111 needs more work
P39 winter could be numbered if you need it

Can add numbers for other skins if anyone wants to send a template...

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:14 pm

For the Crimean campaign the planesets for the first 5 missions are as follows:

1. Summer Pe2, A20, LaGG3, P39
2. Summer Pe2, Il2, LaGG3, La5
3. Summer Pe2, A20, P39, Yak 1b
4. Summer Pe3 bis, La5, Yak7b, LaGG3
5. Summer Pe2, A20, P39, La5

No axis aircraft flyable - we all fly red as per current campaign.

The Stalingrad plane set is easier but it isn't really ready for play yet, and there's probably too much work to be done before Sunday.

Not sure how this fits with the skinners progress? We can always start with default skins if these are not ready.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 pm

Wot? no TB-3! :lol: can't say I blame you.
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:...
1. Summer Pe2, A20, LaGG3, P39 ...
Okay, the Pe-2, A-20 and LaGG are done

Snaphoo was doing the summer P-39.

If he's done with that, I guess we could offer up a V.9 release of applicable skins.

It would give us less than a week for everyone to d'l them though.

Folks would need to hustle.

Falcon
Last edited by :FI:Falcon on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:55 am

Nellip,

What is the historical starting date of the Crimea part of the campaign?
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:33 am

:FI:Dr_Strangelove wrote:Nellip,

What is the historical starting date of the Crimea part of the campaign?
The campaign covers two periods - September 41 to December 41 covering the invasion of the Crimean peninsula and up to the first battle for Sevastopol, and then the second seige and the fall of that city in June and early July of 1942.

As I said before, this is an adaptation of the Crimean Pawns campaign that Beowolf produced and it is not strictly historical.
Olegs stalker

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:20 pm

Very well then, just needed to know for reference to see how it all fits together. I guess Smolensk will still be first in the rotation.

Now if an experienced builder could do the Finnish side that would be great. I am far too slow I think to do it justice.
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:45 pm

How we cover the Continuation War is an interesting question in itself - do we fly red as normal, or blue?

If we want to include this in the grand campaign structure then it gets very tricky to include the whole thing as it went on from June 41 until sometime in 1944 I think - at least as a "hot war" - I don't think peace was signed formally until 1947.

Also anything that involves flying around Leningrad is a real frame rate killer on line.

I would be up for doing something on this front when I have finished Staliningrad but I think we need to decide how much we are going to do on this, and who is going to do it.

Lets discuss on TS over the next few days if we can?
Olegs stalker

Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Dr_Strangelove » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:21 pm

Can you get online Sunday a bit earlier than normal?

I have been racking my brain as well trying to solve this problem. Leningrad seems to have one heck of a system requirement so maybe it is best left alone. There are some good conflicts to cover on that end though, so maybe we can work out something.