Rise of Flight Black Screen

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Re: Rise of Flight Black Screen

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:24 am

Glad to see you got it sorted MIkeV!
Hope to see you Friday!
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey Amigo...long time no "see". How's it hangin?

If lady friend leaves me alone, I'll try to get on Friday. The problem with Friday is obvious, that's when we are least likely to be at home or otherwise....unoccupied... [-X

Yeah, I'm finding it more difficult to dog fight these WWI planes due to that big ass wing in my field of view and the primative flight characteristics... but interesting. I used to putz around with the Red Baron sim long time back, but this one is...way far away more sophisticated for sure...

My PC seems to handle it fairly well so far. It's older hardware except for the video card which is high end and fairly new. Lots of high speed RAM and an AMD duel CPU and such.. Have been thinking of getting another card for SLI, but not sure if I need it..

I have a much better stick now, a CH Fighterstick, that makes a big difference as the control is much smoother.

I am mostly into road racing using rFactor, I get a big kick out of that, but seldom do it. My cup runneth over with real world stuff. But I have never forgotten how much I enjoyed the comradeship in the good ol FI sqd. So, I'm going to try to fit it in now and then.

I'd like to get my IL2 sim up to speed to do that with FI again as well. I think I have the 1946 version of it...will check and as I understand it, I can download the upgrades to that needed...

More later, I'm in the office now, back to work...

Oh, also I'm having trouble with my model loosing connection back and forth. Not sure if it is a poor physical connection or if the model is going belly up or what the heck... That is stopping me from on line stuff at home now and then..

Later guys,

Mike
:D
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Meant to say Modem...not model.... duh,

Mike
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

MV,

Still hangin' in here. :)

The flight models in RoF are a bit tricky. Couple of things to remember...
1. You can set up control profiles within RoF: Key Mapping and Response Profiles;
2. It's a very good idea to set up individual profiles for each plane flown, rather than one generic profile. The reason for this is when switching to a different plane you'll lose some functionality ( ie YAW ). It's a pain to do the initial setups, but it really pays off later.

Re the Modem:
How old is your modem? The connection issue sounds like the same that I had not long ago. Consistently frequent disconnects from my provider.
If your broadband is Cable, most likely they've upgraded their system to the latest version of the DOCSYS standard. This standard allows your modem to update its firmware to match whatever version of DOCSYS your provider uses, and does it quite often. What may be happening is the provider is periodically remotely attempting to update your modem, and registering as unsuccessful, disconnecting your modem until you re-boot it. Check your provider's site to see if your modem is "approved". They may even list a date a particular modem "expires". This caused a lot of connection probs for our house until I checked the provider site and discovered my then-current modem was really out of date.
A new modem solved that issue.
If your modem is outdated and doesn't support DOCSYS you'll never keep a connection and the problem only gets worse.
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for the info on the modem, I'll do that. That may very well be the problem as I have had that modem for about 8 years I think...

Mike
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Yeah, I'd put my money on the modem.

When you get a new one, don't bother with getting the cheapest one you can find. Investing in a good unit capable of upgrading its own firmware and DOCSYS is very worthwhile.
I got the Cisco/Linksys EA4200 here:

http://home.cisco.com/en-us/wireless?ic ... roducts-HN

It requires a seperate Cable Modem, but all the connection issues are gone and I get excellent results with online gaming.
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:14 pm

I just bought online at Best Buy, the Motorola SURFboard cable modem SB101 for about $62 incl tax. Ready for pickup at a store nearby. It is on the approved modem list for COX internet, and it is DOCSYS 2 compliant.

I'll contact COX to see how to update their database so I can connect with it this evening....

Will let you know how it goes...

Later, Mike
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Hey Hey, I have installed a new Motorola SB5101U modem and my connection is working fine now and seems to be a fair bit faster as well :D

I was wondering if there is a flight control configuration profile I could use as a baseline to tame my controls a bit. I'm thinking of flying the SE 5a to start with since it is supposed to be the most stable and yet very capable fighter.

Thanks for the advise on the modem, I would have been frustrated over this connection proble for a while otherwise...

Later,

Mike
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:30 am

Declan sent me a few profiles, and I think one was for the SE5 (tho I still only have the Spad13 and Albatros D5). He showed me where to install them, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. Maybe Declan can send it to you.
MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks amigo..

I'd like to have as many as I can get, perhaps they could be posted for download on the web site?

I practiced some last evening, finally shot down a few opponents off line. Need to get smart on tactics....attack set up/execution and gunnery... and to optimize my piloting skills... That's about everything. The rudder pedals I ordered should help a lot I think and add to the fun..

I will try to hook up tonight, but I am experiencing connnectivity problems again despite the new modem. Not sure what the cause is... I fully reinstalled my browser, that didn't help. Perhaps the NIC? Maybe the ISP connection? Funny, the network connection info shows all is well, and the led's on the modem and router show what they should. Have repaired the connection a few times via the control panel... have restarted the router... Not sure how to act or what the root cause is... a virus perhaps but a full scan shows nothing??

I have checked the firewall on the PC..but I also have a firewall enabled on the router..not sure about that being a cause, but it has worked fine before....

Duh,

Mike
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm

profile's http://www.oceanicwing.com/Forum/Main/i ... opic=426.0

snap view's http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... t=snap+vie
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29331868/snapviews.rar also i am using

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... ir+profile

i am using the track ir profile Without pitvision

Here's the snap views for the Bristol Fighter http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 7&start=10
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 pm

Hmm, can only get the first link to work...thanks for tryin.. ;-)

Mike
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 pm

here ya go for snap views

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... s&start=10 o taipain has a couple of post with different aircraft

and for track ir profiles , dont use pitviews

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 11#p140012

joystick response curves

http://www.oceanicwing.com/Forum/Main/i ... opic=426.0
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

MikeVictor
Forum Junky

Post by MikeVictor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 am

Well after loosing and getting back my internet connection, I think (fingers are crossed) that I have resolved it.

When I talked to the ISP techy today, she mentioned that due to my Send LED not lighting up on my modem, that there was a speed and capacity problem with the output of my PC to the internet, causing the connection to fail.

I did a little research about this problem and found out that spliters (those connections in you your cable that split the signals to go to your TV and to your PC along separate cables) can and often do fail, especially if they are outside.....

Light bulb came on.... So I bought two high quality spliters to replace the two I have (one inside the house and another outside)..... PROBLEM SOLVED!

So if you are having connection problems, and your receive and/or send LED's are not on steadily....then you just may have a $20 or less problem to fix (what a very good spliter costs) and it is super easy to unscrew the old one and screw in the new...

I think my modem was causing a problem too, and at any rate, it was quite old, so the new one probally will improve my internet performance some, so nothing wasted there...

FYI, so maybe, we can hook up on line soon now...

Mike
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Heloego » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:14 am

Good on ya, MV!
Also good info, especially since the splitters here are probably ancient by anyone's standards.
Forewarned is four-armed. Or something. :)