29th August

Dates, News and Comments
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: 29th August

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Vin,

You aren't Armitage, Conman, Falcon, Genosse, Heloego, Igor, Alex, Macca, McBiggles, Noter, Wolfhound, Pike, Spitsfire, Scott, Murph, Wardog or Sacktime so that means Neil, nor I, have a ready-made skin for you. THEREFOR, I will build a brand spankin' new one for you and make an attempt to correct the bubbletop-to-razorback ... issue.

I am assuming that Neil will start sending out the skins he has. Neil, if you want, send them all to me and I'll send them out. IF I have time I'll try to correct these other skins to better conform to the D-22.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Can I have one too please?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Ok Ok , I will fly with Eamonn ,as i have got used to the constant changes in alt and speed ,jinking and rolling :( , and thats on the runway , then when we finally get into the air ,i can usually find him with the aid of eagle eye pikey :D #-o
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:51 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:Vin,

You aren't Armitage, Conman, Falcon, Genosse, Heloego, Igor, Alex, Macca, McBiggles, Noter, Wolfhound, Pike, Spitsfire, Scott, Murph, Wardog or Sacktime so that means Neil, nor I, have a ready-made skin for you. THEREFOR, I will build a brand spankin' new one for you and make an attempt to correct the bubbletop-to-razorback ... issue.

I am assuming that Neil will start sending out the skins he has. Neil, if you want, send them all to me and I'll send them out. IF I have time I'll try to correct these other skins to better conform to the D-22.

F
Stu - read the small print at the bottom of my long post - I have switched to the bubble top D27 so skins should be fine.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm

:FI:Nellip wrote:
Stu - read the small print at the bottom of my long post - I have switched to the bubble top D27 so skins should be fine.
Oh you bast ...

Okay Vin, the corrected P-47D-22 I just sent to you? ... put it on a rack, I'll send a bubblehead to you later.
Sneaky, yours'll be along soon.

~~~

Dek wrote:Ok Ok , I will fly with Eamonn ,as i have got used to the constant changes in alt and speed ,jinking and rolling :( , and thats on the runway

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 pm

I,d love a skin too please guys ;)

Kev
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:59 pm

:FI:Wardog wrote:I,d love a skin too please guys ;)

Kev
Sent now
Olegs stalker

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:26 pm

hi neil,

sorry I missed Sunday. Was looking forward to it. No internet for 36 hours as broadband provider went down. All back now and looking forward to Sunday.
Once again, where we came up short was in maintaining a serious, professional procedure that kept us together
For next Sunday could we have 3 volunteers to act as flight leaders, with leader of one flight acting as Squadron Leader? I know that's not the FI way, and I wouldn't want to push people who really don't want to lead into doing so, but after all it's only a game and no-one is actually going to get shot down!
I don't see why we can't fly with flight leads at least that way we can cover our bombers and attack the enemy in a logical and effective manner. A decent command and control is half the battle! I know its a game and fun but would be nice to get better.
constant changes in alt and speed ,jinking and rollin
keeps you on your toes

I know we hate statistics but maybe we should start to track flights, kills etc not to give medals or to point whore but to see if we can improve and maybe to help others if they are weak in a certain area
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:39 am

:FI:Armitage wrote: A decent command and control is half the battle!
Ah! ye olde chestnut.

Only if players listen. The folk that do listen are generally the ones you need say little too. They pay attention, follow the course, stay together in combat, don't get lost and usually get home. If a pilot does the opposite no flight leader is going to help. Take responsibility yourselves boys for these things, nobody is a n00b here and your flight leader can concentrate on stategy for the flight. Not general handholding for pilots who by now should surely be able to follow the basics with just a modicum of thought.

If its slipped your minds there are lots of posts about it, try a search ;)

Take responsibility for your own flying M8's! your flight leader messiah doesn't exist.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am

Navigation and map reading is all.

47D-22 should help (pretty sure we have radio compass in that).
Map reading (weather permitting) and failing that time to target as indicated in bombsite table app (yes - even if you're flying a fighter the flight computer is a useful tool) . should give flight leaders a good idea of their position.

common failings are-
Pilots firewalling throttle and/or badly trimmed AC, resulting in some not being able to catch up and losing visual contact. Differences in PC spec and connection make this worse.

Typical convo-

Bandits..
Where?
Over there ...
Wheres that ?
My 3 O'clock ...
etc.

Fine for those in visual contact . . . doesn't help Pike who is now half way to Tristan da Cuhna.

When all else fails it's - ground control - heading to target/base (sometimes calling both can give some idea of your location if enemy flight path is known). Dropping below cloud cover to get a bearing on map won't help much of you're over the ocean. (Saying that 352nd is a new map and not all are as familiar with it as they were with the older maps).

Above all READ the brief, and make a note of waypoints distances and headings BEFORE hitting FLY. All you need is a pencil, paper and if possible dividers and 360 protractor. Map squares are usually 10km so not too hard to estimate if you don't have these tools.

(PS thanks for skin Stu)

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:02 pm

:D
Last edited by :FI:Wolfhound on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014