Which is best for SSD?

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Which is best for SSD?

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Fitted a 64 GB SSD HD .

Set it up to run OS dual boot, but would it be more benefit to keep OS on original HD and run IL2 and other apps (HD recording etc.) from the SSD?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Which is best for SSD?

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Hmmm,

Depends a lot about the rest of your system and the 'puter's use. I'd leave the system alone on the SSD and everything else on another HD. If your computer was struggling though, I'd put the most graphically intensive programs on the SSD with the system. I would not put programs on the SSD that required a lot of read/write save/erase stuff. Modern SSD's have a much longer shelf life, but it's always good to be conservative.

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Your access demands should be on the application that needs to pull data from the HDD so I would expect the best scenario to have your programs on the SSD drive. Where I have seen people talking about using SSD's they seem to have them as a seperate storage area for programs with their OS on the main HD.

If you have IL2 on your existing HD run a benchmark and then transfer over to the SSD. If you run the same benchmark it should give you a pretty good idea if you are gaining any benefit.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I would be interested to see what the performance gain is playing games on a SSD.

We have some in work on software build machines and we have seen some very large improvement gains.

see Eric Sink's http://www.ericsink.com/entries/microso ... prise.html comments. Near the end.

Note I have no association with him.
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 pm

I think Greg has a set up with an SSD so he mighht have a few thoughts.

If he doesn't see this maybe give him a poke on TeamSpeak.. though not literally...that really will make him grumpy ;)

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 am

If he doesn't respond to the poke, give him a prod. ;)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

try a cattle prod
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 pm

aw hell!

juss give'm a swift kick in the arse an' get on wiff it!

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:44 am

Other sources say use a 4 disc RAID array, but thats out of the question both costwise and because my 8800 covers half the SATA sockets on the MB.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Sneek, you probably no more about this kind of thing than I do, but here goes. If your SSD doesn't have sequential re-wright be careful what you mess with because as you add move and other wise mess about with it, it doesn't record the info one block after the next and before you know it your SDD will be used up. If your building up your PC for something else, and you have another HD that can hold and run IL-2 with the mod's and all the rest I'd put it there. But like I said I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to this type of thing.