Trackir 5

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Trackir 5

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 pm

I have been thinking about upgrading my TIR3 plus vector to a TIR5.

Has anyone upgraded between the two, if so did you think it was worth it ? The 3 is working fine but I understand the new version is a lot more precise. Especially with ROF that uses 6dof I've noticed that self centering isn't as accurate as non 6 dof games.

Any views on this fellas ?
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Re: Trackir 5

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Richard, I have the 4 version with track clip, the 6dof works fine with no problems centering, so I expect the 5 ver to be either similar in perfermance or better.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:23 am

Centering should be a setting issue not a hardware issue. The TIR only centers the view as you set it up.

I had no problems with centering in other 6dof games with my TIR 3 Pro.

Allthough the TIR 5 has improved hardware, view angls, fps and sensing compared to the TIR 5.
Image ImageImage
:FI:Gadje
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gadje » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 am

I did the upgrade from 3 to 5 recently Richard. For me I doubt it was worthwhile in terms of performance. But I mainly fly around in 2DOF in IL2 and there is no noticable difference with the limited movement. However for your WW1 'putt-putts' in 6DOF there probably is.
I could never get 6DOF to work well enough not to be a royal pain in the arse with the hatclip and Trackir 3. Having the pro-clip light thingy now and after messing with the excellent new software 6DOF is very smooth and no jumping about as I had before.

So is it the pro clip or Trackir 5 ? I'd suggest a bit of both.

(Biggest difference is the look on the wifes face when she sees me playing now. Currently it's a look of bored resignation with the 'Sci-Fi' appearance of the pro-clip. Before it was slack jawed incredulity at the sight of her beloved with a shiny reflective taped subbuteo ball stuck to the centre of his forehead.
Conscious coitus may be on offer before the years end!
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Only on TIR2, but I found it best with the TIR centre hotkey bound to the same as IL2 centre view hotkey.

Getting TIR 2 to work under Win 7 is my current headache,(coughs), so anyone upgrading and open to offers?

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks for that,

I have hidden when using any sort of Trackir headgear Gadje. Its a tactic that has served me well.

Based on the above I am going to research Trackir software setups and see if I can tune it a bit better before I go to the expense of an upgrade.

Thanks to all who answered

S~
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.

:FI:Rabitski
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Rabitski » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm

If you do decide to up grade Richard I think Neil could use your old TiR3, seems he has none @ the moment, and from what I could gather he was using his ball's or something like that. (hard to hear exactly with the racket the put-put planes make :D )