il2 woes

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

il2 woes

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:52 pm

After my previous problems, I thought all was well in il2 land, but no, had a CTD in Franks server(HSFX + other mods) and from previous outings when this happens it will repeat itself. Now the night before I flew on Mikes 6v6 game(4.09 unmodded) and all was fine. I dont think its the mods that are causing it but wont rule anything out yet. It requires a bit of testing to narrow the cause down, unless anyone knows any better? At the moment its pointless starting il2 (apart from testing) for any serious business.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Genosse
Post Maniac General

Re: il2 woes

Post by :FI:Genosse » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:08 pm

:FI:Ardmore wrote:After my previous problems, I thought all was well in il2 land, but no, had a CTD in Franks server(HSFX + other mods) and from previous outings when this happens it will repeat itself. Now the night before I flew on Mikes 6v6 game(4.09 unmodded) and all was fine. I dont think its the mods that are causing it but wont rule anything out yet. It requires a bit of testing to narrow the cause down, unless anyone knows any better? At the moment its pointless starting il2 (apart from testing) for any serious business.

Vin
Vin, my dear ATI companion in misfortune!

I experienced CTDs when I ran IL-2 in OpenGL on really big maps where a lot of objects and textures were involved. Therefore I decided to force myself to run IL-2 in D3D only ... it´s a big disappointment for me since IL-2 and OpenGL seemed to work hand in hand since I´ve started to fly this sim. I already can hear Monsieur Falcon teasing me about getting a real GFX card ... and you know maybe he´s right ... maybe ...

Once ATI, always ... me! ;)
Nunc est bibendum - Let's start to drink!

Image Image
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:02 pm

The race to be the fastest and best graphics card is the problem, if only they had a finished product before sending it out to the public to beta test for them. I'm afraid flight simmers in general take a back seat when it cames to driver updates for games. I'll have a look at D3D and decide what to do then.

vin
:FI:Sneaky_Russian
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

:FI:Ardmore wrote:The race to be the fastest and best graphics card is the problem, if only they had a finished product before sending it out to the public to beta test for them. I'm afraid flight simmers in general take a back seat when it cames to driver updates for games. I'll have a look at D3D and decide what to do then.

vin
With around 1500 games ranked @ Xfire; were they to test all of them the cost of new cards would probably be 20x the current rrp.

I guess overall that user feedback is best all round ; even if it is frustrating when we get these bugs.

I had a frame rate lockup in the i153 during Franks DF ( even on Nvidia ). I suspect that was caused by the HSFX cockpit as the Avia was fine.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:35 pm

I was flying the i153 also when it CTD.

Vin
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

:FI:Ardmore wrote:I was flying the i153 also when it CTD.

Vin
Confirm its the pit in my case - tried in QMB and no lockups in external views. cockpit just freezes at 2 FPMinute.

"The marksman hitteth the target partly by pulling, partly by letting go. The boatsman reacheth the landing partly by pulling, partly by letting go." (Egyptian proverb)
Post Maniac General

Post by :FI:Sneaky_Russian » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Turned on S3TC compression in Il2setup.exe (custom) and framerate issue gone with i-153.

:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Or set TexCompress=2 under opengl in game's config.ini. This will enable S3TC.
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."