WWII on the Caucasus

Everything but not IL2 ... say here 'Hello!' ;)
:FI:Alex
Professional Boardie

WWII on the Caucasus

Post by :FI:Alex » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi All,
My son, my friend and me were in trip recently. We went to the Caucasus mountains and climbed to Induk mountain. During Word War here was intensive fight between Soviet and German forces (Attik operation). I was there first time and was very suprised - how could two armies had large fight here with front line (with use mortairs, heavy machinegun like DSHK, artilery etc). When we lost a trailway it was very dificult to walk/ climb.... Germans could not use tanks and there were something like balance a long time.

Could you image that here someone carried a DSHK, ammo, mortair... :shock:

Here was a front line. Russians were on the one slope, germans on the other.

Germans wanted to install a heavy artillery on this mountain (!) but Russians prevented it.

You can find here something from that time until now. My son found 80mm mortair's shell fragments
Image Skype: alexander.deyneko
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: WWII on the Caucasus

Post by :FI:Airway » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Nice landscape anyhow. Strange that even war comes to these places.

Thanks for sharing, Alex.

Did you find more war related items like the shell fragments?
Image ImageImage
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Cool Alex.

Thanks for the pics, man.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:21 am

Its hard to imagine why folk would fight over such Terrain. You've been there Alex, apart from the "motherland" stuff, is it of stragetical significance?

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Heloego
Post Maniac General
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA (Smile when you say that!)

Post by :FI:Heloego » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:06 am

Beautiful mountains, Alex!
Thanks for sharing! :)
...and wear your feckin' mask!!!!! :x
:FI:Wolfhound
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wolfhound » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Nice pics Alex, beautiful countryside.
"i will give thee a dog which i got in ireland. He is huge of limb,and for a follower equal to any man,Moreover, he hath a man's wit and will bark at thine enemy's but never at thy friends. He will see by each man's face whether he be ill or well disposed toward thee. He will give down his life foe thee. (The Icelandic Saga of Nial,c . AD 970-1014

Professional Boardie

Post by :FI:Alex » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:27 pm

:FI:Airway wrote:Nice landscape anyhow. Strange that even war comes to these places.
Did you find more war related items like the shell fragments?
Yes but not this time. When I was a child I with my friends collected even changed by "war things". We were finding its everywhere. For example, once I have dug up a soviet military short shovel in our garden. My father and I cleaned it from corrosion - my father use it until now! I had a lot of different bullets, shells, grenade... One my friend had a pistol and rifle but they were in very poor condition. My grandfather used german's bayonet-knife it was made very accurate (he only made a new handle).
Look at these machine guns from aircraft which has local museum.

:FI:Ardmore wrote:Its hard to imagine why folk would fight over such Terrain. You've been there Alex, apart from the "motherland" stuff, is it of stragetical significance?
Vin
German forces wanted to recieve access to the oil. It was the Attika operation I mentioned about it earlier: 1 and 2.

About using a weapon in the mountains I know by myself... look at picture below it's me about 10 years ago in Siberian's mountains (Republic of Sakha) with famous Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine. Note - It is with bayonet :shock: . I worked in a geological party as doctor. We had to carried a weapon because there were bears. You can ask me why I choose a that long old style rifle with bayonet and machine gun would be better :) I already asked that question "Hi guys, may be we give me a pistol..." but I received the answer "what we have that give you". After couple hours in trip in mountains you starting hite the rifle - it not very light, you can't leave it, you must keep it in good condition, when you climbing you can't thow it up, sometimes it became across obstacles and really prevent the moving.
:FI:Blue2
Forum Junky

Post by :FI:Blue2 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 am

Very cool photos, Alex. Beautiful country - both Caucasus and Siberia. Thanks for sharing those, and the stories, with us.
:FI:Igor
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:54 pm

Alex,

Great pictures. I have a Mosin-Nagant M44, similar to the M38, but with a folding bayonet; it is heavy; I would hate to have to drag it up mountains...but then again I'm sure I'd hate being eaten by a bear.

Igor
Professional Boardie

Post by :FI:Alex » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:02 pm

:FI:Igor wrote:I have a Mosin-Nagant M44, similar to the M38, but with a folding bayonet; it is heavy; I would hate to have to drag it up mountains...
:roll: WOW! It was given me and taken back with stricly documents, instructions, warnings, signs etc.... But you just have it in your home! Is your rifle it is realy military weapon?
Yes that weapon is uncofortable and heavy I hunted with 5.45 Saiga - it's clear AK74 but it hasn't automatic regime (only semi) and made from poor quality steal - so it is more comfortable but always not sure is it ready for fire.... so it more dangerous, once I walked all day with cartridge (bullet or shell) in the beech and found it only at evening when checked the Saiga :oops:

Can you fire with your M44 in shooting gallery for example? Do you have other weapon (collection)?
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Igor » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Alex,

In my little collection I have one Mosin-Nagant M44, one Mosin-Nagant M91/30, two AK-47's (Romanian semi auto), one Nagant revolver, and a Polish Makarov. Yes, I'm partial to Russian firearms. We live out in the country, so I fire them at my own little fifty meter range.
Do you think you could take down a bear with a 5.45? I'd prefer a good set of running shoes. No, I can't out run a bear....I'd just have to out run the other guy with me that the bear was chasing...old joke.

Igor