Windows 7 and IL-2 tribulations

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Windows 7 and IL-2 tribulations

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Gah!

Well, I installed W7 [64 bit] last night and all is well ... sorry, I mean all is hell!

My virus app will need a special install that I haven't figured out yet. Only my games were erased in the full install so the backing up I did allllll yesterday was a waste of time and DVD's and IL-2 won't run!

At first it ran, but the mouse jerked around like it had apoplexy and the UI page had black borders on the sides. Since it didn't get erased I thought that ... well, I forgot what I thought, so after some re-installing I tried it again and now it won't start at all. I hit the SimHQ and UBI forums last night and found zilch that helped, but it was late so I'll delve in there again today.

Just a quick "help!" out to you. Details to follow later. I gotta go and mow the parakeet and wake up some more.

Falcon

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Re: Windows 7 and IL-2 tribulations

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:46 pm

I had been considering installing Win7 sometime soon but after hearing this I think I'll wait a bit...
Did you copy your game folders to the spare HD you said you were buying? If so, why not just copy it back over to your Win7 drive?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
:FI:Murph
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Murph » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:26 pm

http://allaircraftarcade.com/forum/view ... hp?t=22176
I'm not sure if you've read this- does this help at all?
"Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks Murph,

I'm working thru the link you sent. No-go yet. IL-2SFSX works. I mean it turns on, but the cursor and video are slide shows. IL-2 4.09m doesn't run at all. Working thru the compatibility wizard Seven has. Negatory on that too.

Does your computer need one regular IL-2 install into the system or can you cut and paste the game from one system into another without ever installing the game? Just what I'm checking now.

Going from Vista 32 to 7 64 created a Windows (old) folder. Working on how to use that too.

Well, Dragon Age looks awful purdy and smooth maxed out, but I gotta fly!

Gah! More work first!

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Stu I re-installed 4.09m the other week on windows 7 64bit ultimate and had no problems what so ever mate. have you checked all your drivers Eg: graphics, sound, chipset drivers for motherboard and all the miriad of others there probable are on your system. I know win7 installes a lot of bit drivers during it's initial install but I went through my system and made sure I had the latest drivers from all of my kits vendors.

As for the cut and paste question the answer is yes you can. I have all my IL2 setups on a second hard drive which I didn't have to touch when I installed 7 on the primary drive. I can copy mine from one drive tto the other without any problems. Both work with the NTFS file system so no problems.

Wardog
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:13 am

:FI:Murph wrote:I had been considering installing Win7 sometime soon but after hearing this I think I'll wait a bit...
Yeah, it was kinna hairy for a while, but it was mostly driver crap. Thanks Kev, et al. Don't let it stop you from getting the upgrade Moif. The MS help files ACTUALLY helped!!! ... once. Hey, can't be bad!

Did you copy your game folders to the spare HD you said you were buying? If so, why not just copy it back over to your Win7 drive?
I bought the whole family some Taco Bell and only had enough money left for some blank DVD's. Turned out I didn't even need those. Seven puts all game files in a folder called "Windows.old". You still need to reinstall games, but all saved games, mods etc. are saved. All my templates and skins went unmolested. At least now I FINALLY have some hard saves of my skins and templates.

TSO, TS, TrackIR, etc. were sent to the bone yard, but reinstall went easily.

I anticipate future problems for 64 bit drivers and Kaspersky is still refusing to run, but hey, what can you do?

Falcon

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:46 am

Free AVG 9 antivirus is now up and running and it works well with Win 7 Stu. I always found Kaspersky flakey and a bit week when it comes to it's virus definitions but have never had a problem with the FREE AVG. I use that and Malwarebytes and thats all I have found I need to keep my system free of those damn wooden horses LOL

Wardog ^:) :beer: :beer:
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 am

More help Kev.

I solved the KAV2009 issue. The kind folks at Kaspersky offer KAV2010, which is really KAV 2009.00233920293827 a quicky update for Win7, for free if you have a good license. As I was doing that, one of my kids walked up and asked about an av prog for her comp and I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of that free program I saw during my vast, confusing travels thru the web trouble-shooting the last few days. Heh-heh, it was AVG 9. Thanks again!

S

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:50 pm

MS now have a free AV/Cookie tool. Check their web site.

You can also run WinXP in a vritaul pc mode in Windows 7 if you have to
:FI:Airway
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Airway » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:15 pm

I switched to Windows 7, 64 bit, yesterday. I had Il-2 on my other partition, so I was abled to run it instantly, after installing driver for the graphic adapter.

Got all my Saitek driver working now, was no Windows 7 fault - was a standard plug in-pull out-plug somewhere else in, error.

Hyperlobby was a problem too, that could be solved by running it as Administrator.

Got free Antivir running and the only 64 bit freeware firewall solution by Comodo, yet.

Black Shark is running fine, only FSX is missing.

So how can I help you?
Image ImageImage
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Eamonnd, I'll check it out.

~~~
Marco wrote:... So how can I help you?
Alles ist um Marco ... however you could have timed things a wee bit better. ](*,)

;)

S

:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 am

Went from Vista(64 bit) to Win 7 (64bit)pro, did the same dance as Stu, but found out that you can move your "windows.old\il2 stuff,,,,,,,,,,, into the folder of your choice and presto hey.

The list of games I've got going (graphic wise)--

RoF - Beautiful (not sure about works best, is it application dependant or down to your GPU)
il2 - running ATI cards at the mo so its DX (openGL just falls on its arse at some point ingame) for me, still good.
Arma2 - runs lovely on two ATI 4890 ( 2 X 1GB crossfire, application dependant).
Black shark - Run it max out on two ATI 4890 ( 2 X 1GB crossfire, setting it up with ATI control centre) and no probs.

Any questions, feel feel free to ask, either here or on TS.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Scott
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Scott » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:15 am

Have you got it sorted yet Stuart ?

I went from Vista 32 to Win7 64 and the only problem I have had is with Arma2 not displaying textures properly-still not got that one fixed. Everything else was a piece of cake. AV wise I use Avast and have done for years, never had any problems with it.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker...
- Willy Wonka.