Building a new pc

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Building a new pc

Post by :FI:Armitage » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:24 pm

right I'm going build a new pc. At a mininum it must have 4GBs of ram(should cater for more), support dual monitors, multi hd (maybe solid state), a minimum of dual core(maybe quad), fast processor, decent graphics card(support arma, il2 etc, maybe a fpu?), run windows 7 64Bit and future proof (current pc is 7 years old and can run most things apart from Arma and TF2).
so suggestions
:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Building a new pc

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm gonna sell you an I7 proc. Why? Cuz it's all I know ... plus it's good. Check out the I5's now if dineros are down. 4GB of ram?! Come on Eamonnd! Ram's cheaper than pigeon poop these days! Get six and walk like a man fercryinoutloud. GPU? Gawd! It took me three months to pick the right card for me. How much do you want to spend*? That makes all the diff. Speakin' of moolah, go for a SSD if great auntie Bertha just died and left you her Victorian gold plated Cootie collection ... and her estate. Your comp's only as fast as yer slowest part and that's yer hard drive. An SSD of around 32 gigs can make a snug wee home for Windows Seven, then get an $80 500 gig 7200 rpm drive for the p**n.

Hell, that's all I can tell you without knowing your finances ... oh, a credit card number wouldn't hoit either.

;)

F

* If you answer this with words like Euros, pounds, bobs, farthings, sheckels, quid or horse sperm, send along a link to a money change site.

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Bluebell
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Bluebell » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:27 am

I agree with Herr Falc, go with an I7, get loads of RAM and a decent PSU that will run whatever graphics card(s), dont know enough about SSDs yet, but I'm on it. Your head will be spinning once you start looking at your options. Good luck.

Vin
Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind. – Dr. Seuss
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:35 pm

:FI:Falcon wrote:.... then get an $80 500 gig 7200 rpm drive for the p**n.

* If you answer this with words like Euros, pounds, bobs, farthings, sheckels, quid or horse sperm, send along a link to a money change site.
You reckon 500Gb will be enough??

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:53 pm

:FI:Gurberly wrote:
:FI:Falcon wrote:.... then get an $80 500 gig 7200 rpm drive for the p**n.

You reckon 500Gb will be enough??

G
Depends if it's HiDef or not.............oops!!!
Olegs stalker

:FI:Armitage
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Armitage » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:15 pm

falcon care to post your specs?
anyone else care to post theirs if they built machine recently ?