Power Supply Unit

Questions and solutions for flight sim related problems
:FI:Gurberly
The Unforseeable

Power Supply Unit

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Had a few blue sparks from the PSU, so swapped the powerlead, replugged it in, and got loads more blue sparks so I guess the PSU is gone.

Are these generic sizes, or will any one PSU fit a standard size hole? Just want oto order one and hope it fits!!!

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Re: Power Supply Unit

Post by :FI:Falcon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:40 pm

G

What kinna case do you have Gurb?

If it's an old custom Compaq, devoted Dell or a similar box outlet type, then you may have an issue, but if it's an off-the-shelf Cooler Master, Antec, NZXT, Thermaltake, Armor, Targus, Xion or some such then they're all pretty standard. The only major dif is that some are an inch or two longer.

What wattage and brand are you shoppin'?

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 am

It's an Antec tower case.

Looking for a low energy one.... Ive gone green ;)

Other than that a company that will get it here as quickly as possible!

G
I fear no beer

:FI:Falcon
Full Metal Ferret

Post by :FI:Falcon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 am

Antec? No problem. Any major brand psu should fit.

Try the Antec EarthWatts Series. I haven't read any specific reviews on this line, but most Antec psu's are good. I don't know your power needs, but they have anything from a 380 to a 750. With two good or one hefty gpu you'll need 500w or more probably.

Have you checked out this psu calculator?

F

"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells, and um, makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
- The history of Paul Revere's midnight ride, by Sarah Palin.
:FI:Nellip
Post Maniac 2nd Grade

Post by :FI:Nellip » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:13 pm

:FI:Gurberly wrote:It's an Antec tower case.

Looking for a low energy one.... Ive gone green ;)

Other than that a company that will get it here as quickly as possible!

G
I have an Antec case - the 900 - and standard PSU is fine as Stu says. My build last year I put in a 650w unit that seems OK on my machine.

For UK delivery I have found Novatech very good. Dabs are pretty good too, but you have to be careful on their website as they list loads of stuff they don't carry in stock.
Olegs stalker

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Gareth as a school IT Technician I have had many dealings with Dabs and novatech both as neil says are good but we also use Microdirect.co.uk and scan .co.uk which are both good suppliers(so far LOL) I personally use Ebuyer as they tend to have better prices and very good delivery service depending on if the item is in stock.

Wardog
The Unforseeable

Post by :FI:Gurberly » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:30 pm

OK, Thanks for that.

About the only company not tried there is scan.co.uk.

Anywayway in the end we decided to have a bit of a PC reshuffle here.

The wife has been downgraded to the laptop. Now she has finished her degree, all she uses it for is browsing and wating I-Player for Strictly Come Dancing repeats (Dancing with the Stars if you happen to watch the US version).

That means my old gaming PC has been freed up, so I have whipped the power supply out of that and shoved it into the new gaming machine (well it was new about 4 years ago).

End result, lots of very old PC spares lying around. What was once a cutting edge Radeon Galaxy 128mb graphics card is about to be consigned to the dustbin.

Ah well, that's progress for you.....
I fear no beer

:FI:Wardog
Post Maniac 3rd Grade

Post by :FI:Wardog » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 pm

At least your back up and running mate but hey that old galaxy card was a killer in it's day mate and the fact that it has lasted this long is amazing ;)

Wardog